Single Player Bases

Jeebusu

I'm curious as to how other people build bases on single player. 

Do you guys build a simple hut because people no one else will see it anyways. Or do you guys put lots of effort into it because no one will come destroy it?

For me, I have a metal hut on the tip of the foot paw. This was my first time playing single player so I just went along with the progression, not realizing that I do not need metal bases on single player. I'm thinking about moving base to a more central position, I even built there already, I just can't get myself to put the effort into moving everything. So for now and probably forever I'll just have the entire foot paw as my dino pen, (the amount of rexes there is enough to cover most of the ground)

How bout you guys?

I always prioritize functionality over beauty.....when I build a metal forging base, I wall in 3 sides, but leave the front of it wide open, this way I can pull up to it on a dino {anky or argy} toss out all the metal packages hop off, scoop them up, and jam them in the forge. No trying to toss around corners, or weird chutes, or such.....Just boom, done. Other than that, typically its an add, on to an add on, to an add on. Depending on needs and whatnot. And typically out of stone cause its easy to build, but durable if something weird happens.

With that said tho, I have started doing weird structures in SE......we put down a bunch of foundations, couple pillars, and a roof for our smithy and workshop.....Its really like an outdoor patio thing, but for crafting. XD

57 minutes ago, wizard03 said:

I always prioritize functionality over beauty.....when I build a metal forging base, I wall in 3 sides, but leave the front of it wide open, this way I can pull up to it on a dino {anky or argy} toss out all the metal packages hop off, scoop them up, and jam them in the forge. No trying to toss around corners, or weird chutes, or such.....Just boom, done. Other than that, typically its an add, on to an add on, to an add on. Depending on needs and whatnot. And typically out of stone cause its easy to build, but durable if something weird happens.

With that said tho, I have started doing weird structures in SE......we put down a bunch of foundations, couple pillars, and a roof for our smithy and workshop.....Its really like an outdoor patio thing, but for crafting. XD

Ah i really need a metal forging base too, because hauling all the raw metal around reduces the amount i can bring each run. Where do you think I can build one, definitely not on metal mountain(the one between the volcano and the eastern one) as there is a giga there. I'm thinking i can have one on red peak(the mountain in the redwoods), there's lots of metal there and the worse things that can spawn is either a rex or a pack of allos. What do you think?

3 minutes ago, Jeebusu said:

Ah i really need a metal forging base too, because hauling all the raw metal around reduces the amount i can bring each run. Where do you think I can build one, definitely not on metal mountain(the one between the volcano and the eastern one) as there is a giga there. I'm thinking i can have one on red peak(the mountain in the redwoods), there's lots of metal there and the worse things that can spawn is either a rex or a pack of allos. What do you think?

I have always built a metal base ontop of the mountain in the red woods....Easy to tag n snag a couple of the argies that fly around the area then use them to help haul back and forth on the hill. Typically I run pillars around and just up above the peak, then I lay ceilings down....Its nothing special, but its enough to hold the forge, a small shack with a smithy and couple storage cabinets, then I run the metal to the forge and after its cooked into ingots, back to the main base.
The biggest reason why I chose this location however is because our main base is still on the beach. Its less of a hassle to get back home if everyone is overloaded. But with 5-7 argies, thats typically 3000 metal, and that will tide me over for an extended amount of time.....at least if Im not dealing with ascendent blueprints. In which case I wish I could bring the forger and metal to the fabricator. XD

I build everything from simple cabins to futuristic tek bases. If it's a story run, I'll keep it simple and efficient. If it's a free form play I'll build in places that were always taken on official or unique places or even places that may hamper a resource I wouldn't build on if they'd affect others. I'll experiment with more complex designs as well. 

It's literally your world, so go all out.

Joking apart, it depends on what I'm trying to achieve. These days I play pretty much SP exclusively.

Definitely true that you don't have to worry so much about raiding but remember this is Ark, there's always something around to ruin your day.

Do not underestimate the cruelty of Ark. Well defended location. Metal spikes, Trap, Plant X, Autoturrets. At least until you are comforatble you can take care of any unwelcome guests.

Otherwise I like to separate out different tasks into different bases and build very much around making things easy. I want to fly my anky right to my forge and have crafting within reach of that. I want my egg storage near an entrance and of course the cooker. I find trap doors a very useful way of moving stuff from inside to outsie without having to travel long distances. At the moment my forge is on the roof of my metal base and a trap door leads me straight to my fabricator and smithy. I have a similar arrangement for the cooker and the chemistry bench. I have a separate central base with more room for breeding, one on the seashore (with scuba gear and sarco/spino/baryonyx for early silica pearls and oil collection), one in the cold zone (later game silica pearls, oil and organic polymer), one on a tree platform (tree sap and bee hives), you get the idea. These I just jump in and out of for shorter periods so they don't need to be too extensive, 3x3 stone, metal spikes, cryofridge, eventually a couple of autoturrets on a keypad.

I try not to do too much duplication in the beginning to avoid wasting resource but once established, I like to be in a position where I can jump from one to the other and stay a while without having to worry about not having half decent weapons or armor with me.

Usually the metal gathering base gets most developed early to mid game but then after a while I spend more time in the breeding base.

Obviously if you know the game and the maps well enough, you can just find one location that has close proximity to everything, but if you are starting literally from scratch at level one, getting established at that location isn't always straightforward.

Playing single player, setting things up for maximum gathering/production efficiency saves a lot of time and frustration.

That's just me though, happy to hear other peoples thoughts. I've never played as part of a big tribe and you guys may know a ton more than me. You never stop learning on Ark.

On 10/9/2020 at 1:55 PM, Jeebusu said:

Should be easy enough to draw the giga away with a tanky flyer if that’s your preferred location. mine is on the eastside of the north east mountain, mainly because i’d not really spent much time there before. good access to metal crystal and obsidian, also carno island and some oil and silica, although a bit of a run to go anywhere else. there was a giga here too when i started but I just led him over and away to the other side of the mountain. 

Archived