Is breeding broken, or?

Omnifarious

I went with the smallest dino I could find. The Compy, went to breed, and the egg hatched in a reasonable amount of time. The egg almost died on me because of the temp differences. Had to babysit it for like an hour. But... After it hatched, it's been like, 3 hours, the "maturing" bar hasn't moved an inch, and he's eaten HUNDREDS of raw meat! LITERALLY HUNDREDS! A COMPY! He's eating pounds of meat every minute! This thing is as small as my hand! I can't even find him to feed him because the +1 over his head covers him... (The +1 I assume is from having other Compys nearby.) Is this broken, or is this how it's supposed to be? Does it really take like 20,000 meat, and like 72 hours of nonstop hand feeding to raise a Compy? A COMPY?! How does anyone raise anything in this game if that's the case! What would a Rex require? An entire server working together for weeks 24/7 to tame???

Breeding isn't broken - it works, but there are some dinosaurs with odd timers, such as the compy... which is apparently 9:50hrs til it can eat from a trough, a Rex is 9:15.

I'd suggest trying a Dilo, which is just a couple of hours til it feeds from trough.

Oviraptors are also pretty easy (2hrs), as are Turtles (2hrs)

Unless you have a perfect tame at max level, it's soooo much easier to just tame another one instead of breeding. Baby rexes literally take 3k+ raw meat before they are fully grown + hours upon hours of maturing. You could find a decent level rex, knock it out, feed it less than 300 meat, and wait less than 4 hours to tame it.

2 hours ago, Omnifarious said:

I went with the smallest dino I could find. The Compy, went to breed, and the egg hatched in a reasonable amount of time. The egg almost died on me because of the temp differences. Had to babysit it for like an hour. But... After it hatched, it's been like, 3 hours, the "maturing" bar hasn't moved an inch, and he's eaten HUNDREDS of raw meat! LITERALLY HUNDREDS! A COMPY! He's eating pounds of meat every minute! This thing is as small as my hand! I can't even find him to feed him because the +1 over his head covers him... (The +1 I assume is from having other Compys nearby.) Is this broken, or is this how it's supposed to be? Does it really take like 20,000 meat, and like 72 hours of nonstop hand feeding to raise a Compy? A COMPY?! How does anyone raise anything in this game if that's the case! What would a Rex require? An entire server working together for weeks 24/7 to tame???

Hello.

So here's a link where you can read everything about this and how much time it takes http://ark.gamepedia.com/Breeding.

As for the feeding process, you only have to manually put food on your dino while it is in the baby stage. After the baby stage finishes, you can simply put meat/berries in the feeding troughs and they will eat from there. You must check that from time to time and make sure it always has meat/berries on it. And yes, it might take a lot of meat/berries but while your feeding troughs are full you can just go farm some more since they won't eat it THAT fast. :P

This still takes ages, but sometimes it's worth it.  

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Archived