What's the consensus for taming snails? (Level wise)

MayonnaisePlease

So i'm trying to get a snail farm going and, i'm aware the level doesn't impact much anything however i'm worried about how often i'll have to feed them.

I've tamed up a 130 and 150 and only level food so feedings won't be very often at all. Should I stick to taming high levels, or would a low level suffice with only leveling the food stat as well? I just figure i'd ask because 20+ cakes to tame high level is a bit expensive for me.

Odd. Just tried this first time yesterday. Grossly underestimated the number of cakes I'd need and how many hives would be available in the redwoods and so failed miserably.

During my doomed attempt I read a dododex tip that said what you did, that more food stat equals fewer feeding occasions; i.e. you can leave them alone longer.

Think I need to tame a bee first though. Not viable to gather honey wild. Although I do have a bronto and a bear...

I go for the lowest I can find and mostly level food. (Maybe weight if I plan to use it to transport poly, although I haven't done that for a long time.) Check them often and force-feed them cake as needed.

And you'll need a honey source. Good ghille makes wild honey quite viable (just be quick!), although taming your own is best. The bear also helps a lot for the wild honey. On some maps there are places you can thrown a tree platform up to access the honey. This works great if your base is fairly close and as long as nobody destroys the nest. There are many other places where you can build a bit of a platform up to the hive.

2 hours ago, MayonnaisePlease said:

So i'm trying to get a snail farm going and, i'm aware the level doesn't impact much anything however i'm worried about how often i'll have to feed them.

I've tamed up a 130 and 150 and only level food so feedings won't be very often at all. Should I stick to taming high levels, or would a low level suffice with only leveling the food stat as well? I just figure i'd ask because 20+ cakes to tame high level is a bit expensive for me.

I haven't played on Official for so long, but I don't recall it ever taking that many Cakes to tame them.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, MayonnaisePlease said:

I would recommend only high level. Food is good for the ones you use for pasts, and weight is good for organic poly storage. Go on Scorched Earth, in any of the caves, and tame the level ~250 and you will be able to max them at 450. 🐌

2 minutes ago, Zapha said:

Taming highlevels is a waste of time. I did 10 snails between 25 and 60, spent all points into food until they have 4000 (that's enough for more than 2 weeks) and the rest in weight allthough that's not really necessary as long as you don'r want to store crazy amounts of polymer.

Do the same for 150s and its like 10000 food..

Taming high levels isnt a waste of time. 

• Volunteer Moderator
29 minutes ago, zero064 said:

Haha, that's crazy. How long does that go between feedings?

I couldn't tell. I tamed those about 3 years ago, and if that was just for me they would have starved/decayed by now. I logged on just to take that screenshot but haven't really been active for the past year otherwise. Knowing my tribemate, he is probably feeding them everyday. :P

Though, according to their food consumption it would lasts:

21937.5 / 0.001736 = 146 days, 6 hours, 13 minutes, 28 seconds

With the lags... I'd say 6 months? :D

1 hour ago, invincibleqc said:

I would recommend only high level. Food is good for the ones you use for pasts, and weight is good for organic poly storage. Go on Scorched Earth, in any of the caves, and tame the level ~250 and you will be able to max them at 450. 🐌

Good lord! Suppose i'll set up a small metal outpost base on a scorched server then. Any specific "less lethal" / easier caves there I could run to grab said snails? Scorched is the only map i'm very unfamiliar with. 

• Volunteer Moderator
8 minutes ago, MayonnaisePlease said:

Good lord! Suppose i'll set up a small metal outpost base on a scorched server then. Any specific "less lethal" / easier caves there I could run to grab said snails? Scorched is the only map i'm very unfamiliar with. 

If I remember right, at the entrance of the nosti ruins, there is always 2-3 snails down the first stairs before you encounter any wild stuff.

8 hours ago, Oldster said:

Odd. Just tried this first time yesterday. Grossly underestimated the number of cakes I'd need and how many hives would be available in the redwoods and so failed miserably.

During my doomed attempt I read a dododex tip that said what you did, that more food stat equals fewer feeding occasions; i.e. you can leave them alone longer.

Think I need to tame a bee first though. Not viable to gather honey wild. Although I do have a bronto and a bear...

Id 1000% go with the bronto and bear.....On the island, I have a quetz with a platform saddle, and bear, honey is no problem. I can gather 45 honey out of 3 wild hives in less than a few seconds.
I also have a gen and fridge on the quetz specifically for honey, but not sure if your going to be able to do that, might go with a preserving bin. Just keep an eye out for those thylo's. 

As for cave snails, Iv tried to tame them, but it won't let me?
-----------------------------------------------------------

In all honesty tho, snails feels kinda like a waste of time.....If I need poly, I can quickly gather what I need, so I never seem to need some on standby since I can just go smack something for it.
As for paste, I never seem to have a problem with it either. Either Im blasting enough bugs to fill an entire bank vault with chiten, or Im using the frogs for something and it just comes about naturally. 
I feel like they need some form of TLC to really be useful, or need a change up of diet to become more viable.

P.S. You can put veggie cakes in the tek trough and the snails will automatically eat it. Just make sure your other dino's nearby don't get hurt {they will auto eat the cakes if injured} and make sure the herbivores have plenty of berries in the trough or they will eat the cakes as well.

1 minute ago, deedoubleu said:

Don't go for lowest level - if you have good longneck you will most likely kill it with single shot.

While I was still using snails I tamed lvl 40-80 species.

tbh i shot it with a 219 ln and another 3 in the shell after it was out to ruin taming for lower lvl so its cheaper to clone

I tamed snails between lvl20 and lvl90 and only leveled up food to 3k+. With one personal beehive you will be set with paste and making only cakes one time in a week. You have to go there anyways to clear out the inventory. Also i reommend a Gacha there to collect the paste  dropped by the snails. If u are in render,  this sums up to the double amount paste. Having a dedi storage near is also helpfull.

We have out 30 snails right now, we build a lot with metal, I always tame a lvl 5, it tames out to lvl 7 and then we just clone them. ( we tame pretty colors during the events to have variety- only technically need 1 to clone and they are cheap too. 2500 shards.

They gather points fast and soon they are able to go a week without feeding. So taming high levels is a waste of time IMO, but everyone

has an opinion.

On 10/7/2020 at 7:58 PM, MayonnaisePlease said:

If you don't play on SE already, you don't necessarily need to move. The Island also has snails at level 250+ in the Swamp Cave. Also tamable.

Archived