Has anyone beat the bosses with Allos ?

St1ckyBandit

First off I know Rexes, Theris, Rhinos etc are better for bosses. This thread is about the viability of Allos.

So I'm working toward my first boss fight and I've decided on Allos since they have a really short breed time and I have a 67 armor journeyman saddle bp thats easy to make (I know some people love breeding but its a chore to me). 

Of course I'll bring along a Yuty and a pig also.

I understand the bleed effect doesnt work on bosses but allos seem decent enough in hp and melee to run at least a gamma boss.

So has anyone done the bosses with allos?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never tried, but I'm not sure you'd be able to get their health high enough. If you tame one that has 30-40 points into health, you're starting around 5 or 6k. Gonna take some serious breeding or levelling to get them into boss territory. And they don't do as much damages as a Rex, so they'll have to live longer.

33 minutes ago, zero064 said:

I've never tried, but I'm not sure you'd be able to get their health high enough. If you tame one that has 30-40 points into health, you're starting around 5 or 6k. Gonna take some serious breeding or levelling to get them into boss territory. And they don't do as much damages as a Rex, so they'll have to live longer.

How much health do you need ?

I tamed a 150 male that came out with over 5k health.

Another 140 female I tamed came out with over 4k which I now have over 10k after pumping some levels I got from it sitting in cryo overnight. The female still has a good 30 levels left so I can definitely get it to at least 15k with some levels left over for melee.

I know a 67 armor saddle isnt god tier but it aint too shabby either and should help with damage mitigation. 

48 minutes ago, St1ckyBandit said:

How much health do you need ?

I tamed a 150 male that came out with over 5k health.

Another 140 female I tamed came out with over 4k which I now have over 10k after pumping some levels I got from it sitting in cryo overnight. The female still has a good 30 levels left so I can definitely get it to at least 15k with some levels left over for melee.

I know a 67 armor saddle isnt god tier but it aint too shabby either and should help with damage mitigation. 

For gamma broodmother 20k on a Rex with that level of saddle would do. You'd probably even do it with less. I'm just not sure how Allos would do because their base damage is half that of a Rex, which means they'll have to live that much longer.

I've been tempted to go down that path once myself (I have a 120 saddle BP for an Allo in a vault somewhere, which is way better than any Rex saddle I have) but in the end you're better off spending the time on good Rexes. Once you get Rexes levelled they'll be useful for many things. You can take them to Extinction and take on the Forest Titan or Ice Titan, and if you can manage them well they make for sturdy element node/supply drop defenders.

I've also heard of people using Rexes (along with other mounts) for the Wyvern Queen, although I've never tried it myself.

Ditto for me, very curious to see how this goes. I love allos and personally, the only reason I don't use a ton of them is because I don't see how they're any better than deinonychus or rexes when it comes to bosses or PVP. Sure, deinos have way less health, but like... they're sooo easy to mass-breed and replace and they can latch onto big creatures to do lots of damage, and then allos can't bleed bosses, so... If they could bleed bosses, you bet I'd be breeding tons of them! 

19 Allos and 1 Yuty killed all of the "9" Island Guardians on solo (co-op though). Unfortunately, most of the Allos died during the Alpha Dragon but we still got that kill. Ascendant saddles, full imprints level 200+. This was my/our first (and only) boss killing crew. I decided to go with Allos instead of Rexes because they move around easier (slimmer and quicker).

I guess the Rexes are superior when it comes to killing bosses, but the pack boost the Allos get should not be underestimated. If possible, make sure you ride on one of those leaders.

Keep in mind that if you intend to test in singleplayer that either bosses are weakened there or dinos have a permanent hidden buff... I can't remember the exact numbers or which it is but basically if you try to test in singleplayer, just remember that it's going to be a good deal harder on official or servers running official settings. 

Update: 

I have 5 tames and 10 babies, so I'll bringing a total of 15 to the fight. Some of the babies hatched with pretty legit stats but some are a bit lackluster. Hopefully leveling them can get the weaker ones up to snuff.

I'm shooting to have a minimum of 12k hp and 400 melee but some might not quite get there.

Working on raising now so theoretically they should be done sat night and then I'll let them marinate overnight in cryos to get them leveled a bit. Planning on Sunday morning before football for the big showdown.

8 hours ago, St1ckyBandit said:

Update: 

I have 5 tames and 10 babies, so I'll bringing a total of 15 to the fight. Some of the babies hatched with pretty legit stats but some are a bit lackluster. Hopefully leveling them can get the weaker ones up to snuff.

I'm shooting to have a minimum of 12k hp and 400 melee but some might not quite get there.

Working on raising now so theoretically they should be done sat night and then I'll let them marinate overnight in cryos to get them leveled a bit. Planning on Sunday morning before football for the big showdown.

video man, please! Twitch it or something!!

Well we lost the fight but it wasnt because of the Allos. They actually shredded the dragon quite well when it was landed in its nest. We ran into trouble getting it back onto the ground though.

Overall I would conclude that Allos are 100% viable boss animals.

If it was a grounded opponent like the monkey or broodmother I have no doubt we would have won with ease. If he had done better with the Wyvern Queen in its flying state we would have definitely breezed through the ground combat.

Will possibly try again and this time bring our own dragons.

14 hours ago, St1ckyBandit said:

Well we lost the fight but it wasnt because of the Allos. They actually shredded the dragon quite well when it was landed in its nest. We ran into trouble getting it back onto the ground though.

Overall I would conclude that Allos are 100% viable boss animals.

If it was a grounded opponent like the monkey or broodmother I have no doubt we would have won with ease. If he had done better with the Wyvern Queen in its flying state we would have definitely breezed through the ground combat.

Will possibly try again and this time bring our own dragons.

Yeah, thats probably the number one reason why a set of wyverns are an absolute must.
But hey, dang good feedback on the allosaur set up....maybe they can pan out later in game for something.....maybe drops in extinction with a wyvern backup?
I know everyone screams gigga's, but maybe with the bleed out effect actually working....

You can absolutely beat bosses with Allos.  Ive been doing it since I bred the original 6.5k 419s on PS4 PVE.   Slightly newer stats wipe out alpha monkey in no time and my top stats now can solo a wild giga with alpha buff.   

Alpha Monkey

https://youtu.be/_HCkHjye6pA

1 Alpha Allo vs Wild gig

https://youtu.be/WyOqi2KRZcM

4 hours ago, DodoRaptor said:

I'm preparing to tame a 145 and I have a ~90 armor saddle BP (super expensive, I really don't like the idea of making nineteen). Could I kill all six broodmothers and megapithicus? What kind of stats would I need?

Health always comes first. Id strongly urge 20-25k health on all of them.

Archived