Searching For the Giga...

Slvr

Alright, so I've been at this for close to two weeks now and I'm losing my mind a bit. I'm trying to find a high level giganotosaurus. I have a lv 15 male and a lv 60-something female, which I tamed so I had an opposite sex to breed with whatever high level I ended up getting. That's the thing, though; I haven't seen a giga over lv 90. For background info, I play official ORP PVP, so I am on a cluster where we only have 1 of each map. 

I mainly play Ragnarok, and to my knowledge, gigas spawn near the green obelisk, in the open desert, and in the highlands. I have spent every day of my playtime in the last couple of weeks making the rounds to these spots and killing the occasional low level gigas that spawn here. Again, highest I've seen is 90. The spawn rate seems very low; even if I sweep the area, I generally will still only see 1 or 2 gigas in a day. 

I heard it was easier/more common to find gigas on Extinction, so I traveled over there. Found a lv 45 and 85 immediately, killed both, and spent the next 3 hours sweeping the area around the ice dome. Nothing.

I am losing my patience... Is there some gimmick or trick other people have been using to get higher levels quickly? Did it take everyone literal weeks to find a decent level one to breed/use? I'm especially annoyed that I can't seem to get any new ones to spawn on Extinction because (and I have no idea if this is a bug or not) kibble can only be transferred once per server restart, so I forfeit kibble if I transfer back now, but nothing seems to be spawning, so... Do corrupted gigas count against how many gigas can be on the map at once? That's the only thing I can think of that might be preventing them from spawning, because there's 4 or 5 of those wandering around, but I'm not sure how to kill them considering I don't live on Extinction and they can break metal since they're corrupted.

Any tips or tricks or anything is helpful and appreciated!

Cant help you much man, best I can say is that I was in the same boat as you.....On SP, I went without seeing anything over lvl 45. I get on a PvE legacy server and POOF. Lvl 120, and a 50.....I tamed the 50 up, but honestly I unno why. Im not much for PvP on this game, and since you can't use them in boss fights, its kinda a "why did I do that?" situation. Still, at least I had one I suppose. 

1 hour ago, Slvr said:

I am losing my patience... Is there some gimmick or trick other people have been using to get higher levels quickly?

Short answer: No.

Giga's are supposed to be rare and high level giga's even more so.

Just for a frame of reference, I once had a base in the Highlands on a private dedicated server and it took a month of giga killing before I found a Lvl 130 or higher. I'm sure there were others during that time since I obviously wasn't doing my giga hunting 24x7, but it should still give you an idea of what to expect. When you think about how levels work in ARK it makes sense, even animals that have lots of spawns don't have a bunch of 150's running around the map at the same time, so of course a species that only has 3-4 on the entire map is going to have very rare high levels.

1 hour ago, Slvr said:

Did it take everyone literal weeks to find a decent level one to breed/use?

Yes, unless you get quite lucky it takes weeks.

On Crystal Isles there are always 2 Gigas at any time (when you kill one it may take from 1 minute to 3 hours to have a new one respawning, though). The areas where they spawn are relatively small : either the desert or near the volcano.

We are currently in the process of taming good Gigas in order to breed them, so we have one outpost in the desert and one near the volcano, each having 8 good Rexes and 1 Yuty. As soon as we spot a Giga, if it's a low level we kill it with the Rexes. And we wait for a new one to respawn. If it's a high level, we tame it obviously.

Spawn map : https://ark.gamepedia.com/Spawn_Map_(Crystal_Isles)

But yes, we get way more low level Gigas than high level ones, unfortunately.

Archived