Dino feeding and food gathering

Blackmagic9000

7 hours ago, Blackmagic9000 said:

hello you wonderful surviors! 

What do you guys think is best to feed dinos...even the babys, raw meat vs fish meat? Both cooked too! As for the prime stuff how do you guys gather them the best way possible?

I typically do raw cause Im lazy, but if I leave for a little while, then Ill do cooked. Hopefully to prevent the food from expiring before Im back and thus allowing dinos to not starve. In fact the only reason why I cook is to prevent it from expireing. Either that or I gotta feed the pig for a boss fight.

And my main go to for prime is by killing and harvesting snakes, parcers, rex's, argie's, and baby penguins to name a few. There are some other animals out there that will give you prime meat, but its sometimes not in large quantities, or easy to get. I also like to use an argentavis to help speed the process up.....Granted, other tames and tools might do a better job at it, but the ability to hit one target, harvest, then fly to another target to repeat is super fast and easy while riding an argentavis. 

If your starting as new player and cannot craft an argentavis saddle however, then Id highly recommend getting a metal pick ASAP. This will be the only "good" tool you can use to harvest large quantities of prime meat. Primative pick will work too, but it is not nearly efficient. Target snakes on the edge of the swamp as they are slow and easy to take down with throwing spears. Just make sure to craft a dozen or so and you should be good. 

Raw meat is usually the best, it spoils twice as fast but gives twice as much food. You can leave a baby for 8 hours overnight and only 12 of 40 raw will spoil. If you refresh the meat stacks at every imprint spoilage is never a problem. Add salt for even longer periods of baby ignorance. The one dino you should give cooked meat to is daeodons, they prefer it over raw.

For herbivores mejoberries give more food than the others, so its best for babies who can't hold as much food.

If you need to ignore something for even longer periods of time you should probably cryopod it.

Once you get tek troughs it becomes easy, you can fill it with raw meat and rarely have to refill it.

7 hours ago, Blackmagic9000 said:

thank you all so much!

Also, if you haven't done this yet, you're ready to go start looking at the ARK wiki. There is a wealth of information there for questions like this, including separate pages for each dino species, taming strategies, how they are useful, what foods are best for them.

https://ark.gamepedia.com/ARK_Survival_Evolved_Wiki

On 10/3/2020 at 3:01 PM, Blackmagic9000 said:

As for the prime stuff how do you guys gather them the best way possible?

I play on SP so idk if this applies to you, but i have argies on top of my base constantly mating. Once a baby is born it starves to death and i can harvest the body from within my base because the baby clips through the ground when growing. But running through the swamp with an argy is a great way too

Depends very much on what you are looking to tame or achieve, plus game or server settings.

I feed babies with raw meat or berries, tame with mejo or prime when I don't have kibble. To be honest it is always better to get your kibble production up and running asap, especially if you are working on high level dinos with standard taming levels. 

I like to use the dododex starve timer to save hanging around unnecessarily, or wasting good kibble on some dumb eg raptor spawn.

Gathering prime is very dependent on location.

A high level argie is not a bad starting point.

Having a cryopodded rex on hand is better. Watch out for pegomastax (fkn...pegomsatax).

A few metal spikes or an auto turret set on medium near an argie spawn point is a great way to farm a bit of regular prime as they are attracted to the last kill.

If you're well established, fly over to (eg) Carno Island with any number of high level cryopodded rexes on a quetz carrying an industrial grill, generator and as many refridgerators as you fancy (four will hold an entire alpha kill with zero spoilage). Farm alphas and fill refridgerators up on prime, cooking them as you go.

Archived