The Center's Revival

Qwertymine

Suggestion

The Center is easily one of the worst maps in all of Ark. It has a book-full of bugs on Official, Unofficial, and Singleplayer, and brought nothing new to the game outside of its higher level cap of 150, which is now on all maps. The map was largely forgotten after its Redwood's expansion, and has nothing to keep players coming back. 

So what do I think would help the Center? First of all, BUG FIXES! This map has more bugs than Genesis, which has way more moving bits and pieces. 

Second, a unique creature or two. Seeing as how The Center was made before Scorched, so I want to propose some creatures people have wanted to tame since they were released into a trio of sorts. 

Fire Dragon: Uses the model of the Dragon. These live on the volcanic islands, and are between the size of a Rex and Bronto. Fire Dragons only breathe fire, but come in almost any color you can think of. They are fast flyers, amazing runners, great at melee combat, can carry the same creatures as a Quetz, and have amazing stats. They can even fly underwater, using their powerful wings to propel them with no issues. They do however have an oxygen stat, and must eventually surface.  Fire Dragons have a saddle which can only be learned on the Center and can be crafted at level 90. To tame a Fire Dragon, you must feed them Giga eggs the same way you would tame a Basilisk or Titanoboa. The only difference is that Fire Dragons attack everything in sight, so taming them is going to be hard, as they will constantly be trying to kill you and any tames you bring with you.

Ice Ape: The Ice Ape is found on the snowy mountains of the Center, and is a little larger than a Rex. These beasts are ferocious, and will easily tear apart any creature that encroaches upon their personal space. Ice Apes have the lowest health of the trio, but the highest melee attack. They ignore all forms of damage reduction when attacking, and can damage stone structures. Their movement speed is insane, and they seemingly have limitless stamina when running. Ice Apes can hurl frozen rocks that deal good damage and slow their target(Disables flying and jumping aswell) meaning even the swiftest of mounts can be run down should you land a boulder. Ice Apes also have a saddle learned a level 90, and are KO tames that can only be fed Extraordinary Kibble. When tamed they are omnivorous, and can collect all resources in the game from berries to metal with incredible efficiency. Their strength also grants them an amazing carrying capacity, reducing the weight of all items in its inventory by half. 

Venomous Queen: In the swamps surrounding the center island and in the caves of said island lives the Venomous Queen. These are close cousins to the Broodmother, and share many similarities to her. For one, they are tanky. Venomous Queens have the highest health of the trio, and are immune to all debuffs from fire to Cnidaria shocks. All wyvern breath attacks deal no damage to them, and explosives deal reduced damage. This is because her exoskeleton is coated in a special substance which protects her from these damage types, and deals a DoT effect to anything that hits her with melee attacks. However, she has no resistance to regular bullets, so guns and turrets can still be effective killing tools, as can Velonosaurs. Venomous Queens have pretty good melee, but their best attack is their swarm spawn. Like the Broodmother, the Venomous Queen can spawn a swarm of Araneo to attack her opponents. These Araneo are as fast as a Gallimimus, and take 75% damage from all sources thanks to their strong exoskeletons. They can also spray opponents with webbing, making the swarm even more deadly. The Venomous Queen can web creatures much like the Bloostalker, but to a much greater degree due to their Rex-like size. They can drag almost any creature right into her clutches, drawing health from them as she attacks. The Venomous Queen's movement isn't amazing as she is the slowest of the trio, but she does get a charge jump like the Procoptodon to help her cover long distances. To tame a Venomous Queen, you should make her spawn as many minions as you can, as she will gain torpor when she does. The minions persist for five minutes, and she gains a thousand torpor everytime she spawns them, so killing the minions is the only way to KO her effectively. When KO'd, the Queen will eat any and all meats. She also has a saddle which can be learned at level 90 which extends her various protections to her rider. 

And if those are a little too oomph for you, then lets dial it back and bring in the Water and Boulder Wyverns!

Water Wyvern: Found in the deepest parts of the Center's ocean, these Wyverns can swim, walk, and fly. They lack an oxygen stat thanks to their gills, and gain a hydration buff when in water much like the Spino and Tropical Crystal Wyvern. Water Wyverns have two breath attacks. When in water, they produce a precise pressurized beam that ignores all damage reducers and armor. This has incredible range, and can kill riders off their mounts if it hits them. When above water, they produce a beam like the Tropical Crystal Wyvern that covers opponents in sudds(Which slows the opponent down) and pushes them backwards with its incredible force. Water Wyverns lay their eggs underwater, and babies can only be raised at "Mosa depths"(The area below where Mosas lose agro). They will consume Wyvern Milk, which can be obtained from female Water Wyverns should you KO them. 

Boulder Wyvern: The Boulder Wyvern is 10% larger than other wyvern types, and it is covered in hard scales. They fly slower than their counterparts, and lack a breath attack. Instead, they boast more impressive overall stats and a more powerful wing clap ability. When grounded, the wing clap of a Brute will hurl numerous rocks at opponents, knocking off any riders and grounding any flyers hit by them. When airborne, the Boulder Wyvern can wing clap in any direction, making it suddenly turn its belly in the direction and wing clap. This sends a shockwave that deals heavy damage, dismounts riders, and knocks them away from their mount. This is especially dangerous for riders of other fliers, who will find themselves plummeting to the ground if they aren't careful while dog-fighting a Boulder Wyern. Boulder Wyverns take 10% reduced damage from all sources, and their eggs can be found on the main volcano island in nests dotting the cliffsides. 

And finally, the bosses. Add a little more to the bosses of The Center, like more reward Element, an extra five levels, or some tekgrams. Some that come to mind personally are a Tek Spyglass, Tek Spino Saddle(To play into all the water on this map) or maybe some upgrades to the Tek Vaccum tier of buildings, like a larger moonpool or non-element generator that can power them. 

I really do think the Center could be better, let me know if you agree with my ideas or have some other ones. 

7 replies to this server topic

It needs work, but things as simple as reducing cave overspawns, making flowing water sources less weird looking (if you've played there, you know what I mean), and making it less laggy would all help. In general, the looks of this map aren't great, and the creature selection isn't good either. If a new creature was added, I wonder if WC could get the maps original creator to design it, since it's their map, and they might know what creature would fit best. 

7 hours ago, JCELL said:

Not sure about new wyverns, there’s already too many in my opinion. A new dragon species? Maybe. But I definitely agree, the map needs major work. Even if it’s a simple sound And graphics quality work-up. In its current form it feels cheap, and hastily put together, especially compared to the modern maps. New animals would be an excellent touch, especially a fantasy animal or two, seeing as how it’s clearly supposed to be a fantasy setting, with the Avatar-like floating island. Perhaps something inspired by that?

yes too many wyverns, maybe dragon, but the map needs work. For new dinos, what I really want is NEW DINOS not tameable remakes of bosses or dragons, a new water creature, a new air/glide/super jump creature and a new land creature. That’s what I think. What’s really sad it the actual creator of the center spent like 9 hours a day 7 days a week on this map for almost a year I believe. Then wildcard took it, messed up some spawn rates and “stuff” and now it’s trash, I can’t even go on the third main island strip in the east, Cus of the overspawning cave causes SOO much lag. Literally like 3/20 of the map I can’t even go to Cus of this. Also I’d like real creatures, not fantasy 

4 hours ago, SapphireSam7 said:

Personally, The Center is one of my favorite maps. 

Yes, it has it's issues. There are plenty of lag spots, meshing holes, cave stutters, blinding rain and lights, and the lovely flashing-strobe glitch to name a few. 

Still - it is one of the maps I have gone back to playing on time and time again. 

In my opinion, prior the the release of Crystal Isles. It would have easily been one of the easiest maps to play around with water building and sea-craft crafting. 

As such, rather than adding more dragons and/or wyverns, I would have liked to have a few more structures to play with. Larger boat sizes for sea travel, perhaps a few new water creatures living in the deep, bridges that float - like the pontoon bridge on Primitive+, or even rope bridges to lead up to or between the stone peaks would have been nice. 

However, at the same time, I can understand why the did not. Like the other mod maps that were introduced to the main game, The Center was free. So adding new creatures and structures specific to it is not something I expect, and when we do get them, we are lucky. In my opinion we are already getting a free map - tacking on creatures and crafting makes it seem as though we are asking for a lot. 

Now the argument could be made that perhaps we would be willing to pay a small price to access the map. If a standard map goes for between $15-$40 (estimated) depending on the sale or starter price, then perhaps a "Mod Map" could have a lower price tag of $5-$20. Just enough to earn something off the map to warrant the extra creatures or items. Then sure, in that case I would be far more willing to discuss the expectations of having more items added to the map. 

As it is, I am of the mind that the errors it has should be fixed to make the map far more playable, but not that anything new should be added. 

I don’t like the idea of these maps being paid. I would like more aquatic Tek stuff from the center, really the center currently is a discount island with less creatures and none unique, and no Explorer notes. 

2 hours ago, DodoRaptor said:

It needs work, but things as simple as reducing cave overspawns, making flowing water sources less weird looking (if you've played there, you know what I mean), and making it less laggy would all help. In general, the looks of this map aren't great, and the creature selection isn't good either. If a new creature was added, I wonder if WC could get the maps original creator to design it, since it's their map, and they might know what creature would fit best. 

I haven’t seen a weird flowing water source for some reason and the center was like my main map, forever until I got PC. Also the maps original creator might not be around(not dead but you know what I mean) anymore to do that.

Not sure about new wyverns, there’s already too many in my opinion. A new dragon species? Maybe. But I definitely agree, the map needs major work. Even if it’s a simple sound And graphics quality work-up. In its current form it feels cheap, and hastily put together, especially compared to the modern maps. New animals would be an excellent touch, especially a fantasy animal or two, seeing as how it’s clearly supposed to be a fantasy setting, with the Avatar-like floating island. Perhaps something inspired by that?

2 hours ago, Dinobros2000 said:

Also the maps original creator might not be around(not dead but you know what I mean) anymore to do that.

I heard they helped design Ab, but this might not be true. Even if it is, you're right, there's a chance they're gone. The creator of S+ is gone, and I know the Valguero team was really upset about the lack of rock drakes and reapers. There's a chance The Center's creator is also not accessible.

25 minutes ago, DodoRaptor said:

I heard they helped design Ab, but this might not be true. Even if it is, you're right, there's a chance they're gone. The creator of S+ is gone, and I know the Valguero team was really upset about the lack of rock drakes and reapers. There's a chance The Center's creator is also not accessible.

i do think at one point i know, but i forgot

Personally, The Center is one of my favorite maps. 

Yes, it has it's issues. There are plenty of lag spots, meshing holes, cave stutters, blinding rain and lights, and the lovely flashing-strobe glitch to name a few. 

Still - it is one of the maps I have gone back to playing on time and time again. 

In my opinion, prior the the release of Crystal Isles. It would have easily been one of the easiest maps to play around with water building and sea-craft crafting. 

As such, rather than adding more dragons and/or wyverns, I would have liked to have a few more structures to play with. Larger boat sizes for sea travel, perhaps a few new water creatures living in the deep, bridges that float - like the pontoon bridge on Primitive+, or even rope bridges to lead up to or between the stone peaks would have been nice. 

However, at the same time, I can understand why the did not. Like the other mod maps that were introduced to the main game, The Center was free. So adding new creatures and structures specific to it is not something I expect, and when we do get them, we are lucky. In my opinion we are already getting a free map - tacking on creatures and crafting makes it seem as though we are asking for a lot. 

Now the argument could be made that perhaps we would be willing to pay a small price to access the map. If a standard map goes for between $15-$40 (estimated) depending on the sale or starter price, then perhaps a "Mod Map" could have a lower price tag of $5-$20. Just enough to earn something off the map to warrant the extra creatures or items. Then sure, in that case I would be far more willing to discuss the expectations of having more items added to the map. 

As it is, I am of the mind that the errors it has should be fixed to make the map far more playable, but not that anything new should be added. 

Archived