Let's play "find the engram"

Zoglet

Apologies if this has been covered before (can't believe it hasn't) but I have to ask the question.

I appreciate the game and the engrams has grown organically but I don't understand why so many months on after the original release, they are still all over the place in your build menus.

Obvious examples are things like the flexible pipes and cables, but even things like metal stairs, I've given up trying to find them using normal logic but searching for them can be a real pita.

Although you do learn your way around over time, I'm sure that a rework to include all items in their logical places in the menu structure would be welcome by all and not too much of a stretch to implement in code, so how come it remains as it does?

If I'm missing something very obvious, I'd be super happy to be schooled, or if you agree or have your own view, I'd love to know.

All the engrams that came with the homestead s+ tlc werent merged into the proper folders, they are in their own new folders for whatever reason. Its not preferable but if you remember it this way its not so bad, if its stairs or flexible stuff or triangle stuff dont bother clicking structures folder, there will be a standalone tek or metal or stone folder where they are placed.

Thanks Piff, yes I know where they generally are or more to the point aren’t, I just wasn’t sure why they hadn’t been consolidated after all this time. flexible pipes i am used to but stairs still get me confused, plus of course the generall order of new stuff double doors etc in your own list. Text Searching is just more of a pain on console with no keyboard. Thx all the same.

27 minutes ago, Zoglet said:

... I just wasn’t sure why they hadn’t been consolidated after all this time.

That's the problem, "after all this time".

Very typical for longtime software projects: Those who wrote the original ARK code are all gone, and those who are now continue the developing will never have the same insight as the original coders. The older and bigger a software is, the more control over the code get lost.

14 hours ago, Zapha said:

That's the problem, "after all this time".

Very typical for longtime software projects: Those who wrote the original ARK code are all gone, and those who are now continue the developing will never have the same insight as the original coders. The older and bigger a software is, the more control over the code get lost.

I agree, which is also why I am so disappointed it took 1.5 years or so to get them to patch a fix for tek bridges which involves just increasing decay timer... Instead of fixing the actual problem of them not snapping to structures. If they were just going to lazily increase decay timer why wasnt that done over a year ago? garbage

16 hours ago, Zoglet said:

Thanks Piff, yes I know where they generally are or more to the point aren’t, I just wasn’t sure why they hadn’t been consolidated after all this time. flexible pipes i am used to but stairs still get me confused, plus of course the generall order of new stuff of shirts for man double doors etc in your own list. Text Searching is just more of a pain on console with no keyboard. Thx all the same.

this is very great and will work fine for you!

Sorry Zapha no. I'm not taking anything personally. Neither do I think that it is an unrealistic expectation that when you have a list of items that are sorted specific to type and function, that new items added later on follow the same schema, rather than break it entirely.

I appreciate also that 'maybe' the codebase isn't constructed in a way that makes this immediately manageable, plus together with the work put into the many other bits of content, new DLCs, constantly updated seasonal events etc, is significant, and I very much appreciate and value that.

This doesn't take away from the fact that it isn't right the way it is (now that it is clear to me that I wasn't just missing something obvious) and it warrants addressing.

I remember when I first started playing this game over two years ago one of my first posts was wondering what had happened when I attempted my first cave (island swamp), readied myself for ages, took all my best gear and then glitched through the floor and lost everything, including two of my best tames. Funnily enough I decided to replay the map again starting from zero about two weeks ago. Even though I know my way around, I lost two tames through the exact same glitch. This time I knew enough to use admin commands but still spent ten minutes ghosting my way through the cave before I thought to drop all the way down to the ocean floor and found them swimming around in circles there. If I wasn't playing single player, there would have been no chance. I'd again have lost everything.

The game is great (I wouldn't still be playing if it wasn't) and of course, issues and bugs occur and priorities have to be made in fixes. Still, I found it a little disappointing to think that such a major flaw that has such a significant and damaging impact upon gameplay could still exist unfixed 'after all this time'.

Still, it is what it is. My initial confusion has been answered, in that I'm not missing something obvious, and the fixing the build item menu structure was never really returned to after the initial addition of structures+ or whatever it was called. I remeber that there were bigger fixes being worked on at the time, I guess perhaps that by the time all/most critical bugs were addressed they had to move onto the next piece of work.

Still, seeing as this functinality is something that everyone still has to use, regardless of which map or game version they are playing, I'm surprised it was never considered something worth the effort of cleaning up. Maybe it's just not so annoying when playing on different platforms, so never really flagged as a big problem.

Anyway, thanks all for your thoughts and comments!

Archived