Overseer - Biggest Disappointment

Pali

tl;dr: Overseer is boring, annoying fight and you loos tames who don't get teleported back to the Tek Cave entrance

The Overseer is yet another disappointment of WC's poor game design ...

The Overseer has 2 poorly designed "attack" phases:

• Shield - he stays still, gets a shield and is invincible ... boring boring boring gosh DILO there is literally nothing to do other than waiting for the shield to go down again ...
  • Stun - he is agile as hell flying around very fast and every 10 seconds he fires lasers in all directions which stuns everything for 3? seconds and dismounts you ... Theris are chasing him to attack him ... they hit him for 1 second until he charges another stun and happily flies away ... Theris again chase him across the arena until they reach him BUT HEY HE ALREAY HAS HIS STUN READY AGAIN AND STUNS THEM ALL ... rinse and repeat ..

In conclusion: your tames are stunned 90% of the time or he is shielded and literally invincible which makes it extremly boring and long lasting and there is literally nothing else to do ...

Even my asc sniper rifle only did 250 dmg (4000 dmg against normal wild dinos) so this was also no better strategy ...

Best part: after finishing him (on Alpha) only 16 of my 20 tames got teleported back to the Tek Cave entrance and the other 4 just vanished and I guess are lost forever? They DID NOT died inside the cave or the boss fight ... I saw all of my tames right before the end scene and also all my tames had 90% HP so they for sure just vanished.

PRO TIP: if you are on singleplayer just save your time and cheat your way, this was the most disappointing experience in ARK so far .....

1 minute ago, Piffguru said:

Did it on official alpha recently with only 2 of us, no tames only shotguns and tek rifles. Was not difficult, and I found it fun actually even tho it took a while. Just use cactus sap to keep the drones from attacking you and bring lots of ammo.

this sounds not better (for me) ... this is a survival game with dinos (I love dinos) yet you can completly ignore the "dino" part of the game LMAO

Just now, LEDminer said:

Well it's a survival game, and survival to me is about strength (big dinos, big guns) and wit (coming up with clever ways to overcome big hurdles.) So @Piffguru's method is all about the latter.

"glitching" your way through by bypassing game mechanics is nothing for me ... the game is already too easy so why would I wan't to make it even easier by bypassing all challanges the game gives me?

but again, just my opinion and my play style :)

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, Pali said:

"glitching" your way through by bypassing game mechanics is nothing for me ... the game is already too easy so why would I wan't to make it even easier by bypassing all challanges the game gives me?

but again, just my opinion and my play style :)

Using cactus broth is a game mechanic, therefore not glitching by bypassing game mechanics...

Just now, Piffguru said:

Who said anything about a glitch?

that's why I put the word "glitching" inbetween "" ...

1 minute ago, GP said:

Using cactus broth is a game mechanic, therefore not glitching by bypassing game mechanics...

no but luring gigas into the lava, gliding through the Tek Cave to the Overseer platform or other things just to avoid all the challanges ...

1 minute ago, Pali said:

no but luring gigas into the lava, gliding through the Tek Cave to the Overseer platform or other things just to avoid all the challanges ...

So those "" marks you mention are called quotations meaning you are quoting something another person said and no one said anything thing about a glitch.

Also there is no need to "lure" gigas into the cave you can uncryo one at the entrance legitimately. Now you have an issue with gliding through the cave to avoid some dinos? if you want everything to be ultra hard mode at all times does that mean you tame stuff with raw fish meat too as to not avoid the challenge?

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, Pali said:

You forgot going through the Tek cave on a camo'd Rock Drake! All of these are game mechanics that are intended to be used.

At what point did Wildcard state you should be fighting all these creatures?

You choose how you want to platy it. As long as you are using any of the game mechanics to your disposal, i.e. dinos, glide suits, camo, cactus broth etc then that's fine, because none of those are considered glitching, or cheating or anything like that.

What you shouldn't do is label other methods besides your own as "glitching" because that comes across as though you are claiming people are abusing the game mechanics for an easy ride, when they are simply using game mechanics as they are intended.

31 minutes ago, GP said:

You forgot going through the Tek cave on a camo'd Rock Drake! All of these are game mechanics that are intended to be used.

At what point did Wildcard state you should be fighting all these creatures?

You choose how you want to platy it. As long as you are using any of the game mechanics to your disposal, i.e. dinos, glide suits, camo, cactus broth etc then that's fine, because none of those are considered glitching, or cheating or anything like that.

What you shouldn't do is label other methods besides your own as "glitching" because that comes across as though you are claiming people are abusing the game mechanics for an easy ride, when they are simply using game mechanics as they are intended.

just get back to the main point ... the Overseer and his annoying and boring fight

36 minutes ago, Piffguru said:

So those "" marks you mention are called quotations meaning you are quoting something another person said and no one said anything thing about a glitch.

Also there is no need to "lure" gigas into the cave you can uncryo one at the entrance legitimately. Now you have an issue with gliding through the cave to avoid some dinos? if you want everything to be ultra hard mode at all times does that mean you tame stuff with raw fish meat too as to not avoid the challenge?

you must have misread the "luring giga" part because your answer makes no sense XD

12 minutes ago, ColdIce said:

From my point of view is the Overseer the best designed end boss in ARK, the idea with the TEK Cave is awesome and the fight after it really nice.
If you need a really challange try the TEK cave without cryo, soups and solo.

The really boring boss is Lystix

I did it in Singleplayer (Max Difficulty with Single Player Settings OFF and official multipliers!) without Cryopods, my max quality fur and ghilie sets were NOT enough, I was still frezing/burning to death without soups (the armor quality has zero meaning to the iso/insulation) ...

• Volunteer Moderator
4 minutes ago, Pali said:

I did it in Singleplayer (Max Difficulty with Single Player Settings OFF and official multipliers!) without Cryopods, my max quality fur and ghilie sets were NOT enough, I was still frezing/burning to death without soups (the armor quality has zero meaning to the iso/insulation) ...

All bosses are like 75% easier on SP regardless of any settings (hard-coded adjusters; they take more damage and deal less). Do it on a dedicated server with official settings next time. :)

Just now, invincibleqc said:

All bosses are like 75% easier on SP regardless of any settings (hard-coded adjusters; they take more damage and deal less). Do it on a dedicated server with official settings next time. :)

the 3 Bosses (Ape, Spider + Dragon) tookl 3x damage (so they only have 33% effective HP, not as you claimed 75% "easier" because they do official damage) but the Overseer took only 1x damage so the Overseer was "official" (100% damage, 100% effective HP) in all ways ... my Theri army never went under 90% HP (not even against the Alpha Dragon thanks to Veggie Cakes) so I assume even without the damage buff against the 3 Bosses i would have easily beaten them.

What's your point?

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, Pali said:

the 3 Bosses (Ape, Spider + Dragon) tookl 3x damage (so they only have 33% effective HP, not as you claimed 75% "easier" because they do official damage) but the Overseer took only 1x damage so the Overseer was "official" (100% damage, 100% effective HP) in all ways ... my Theri army never went under 90% HP (not even against the Alpha Dragon thanks to Veggie Cakes) so I assume even without the damage buff against the 3 Bosses i would have easily beaten them.

What's your point?

Maybe not 75%, hence why I said "like". I posted the exact figures somewhere on the forums; just search for them or dig the devkit yourself. My point is that you emphasized "(Max Difficulty with Single Player Settings OFF and official multipliers!)" while bosses are a joke in SP; you can beat any alphas with non-imprinted tames and primitive saddles.

1 minute ago, invincibleqc said:

Maybe not 75%, hence why I said "like". I posted the exact figures somewhere on the forums; just search for them or dig the devkit yourself. My point is that you emphasized "(Max Difficulty with Single Player Settings OFF and official multipliers!)" while bosses are a joke in SP; you can beat any alphas with non-imprinted tames and primitive saddles.

I could also claim that defeating Bosses in Multiplayer is MUCH EASIER because you have other tribemates with game-changing advantages of multiple players commanding your army or shooting at the Boss with max damage guns ... so again ... what's your point?

Sounds like you never really played Singleplayer and DO IT ALL YOURSELF ...

• Volunteer Moderator
7 minutes ago, Pali said:

I could also claim that defeating Bosses in Multiplayer is MUCH EASIER because you have other tribemates with game-changing advantages of multiple players commanding your army or shooting at the Boss with max damage guns ... so again ... what's your point?

Sounds like you never really played Singleplayer and DO IT ALL YOURSELF ...

Well, he said if you need a real challenge to do it without pods, etc. You said you did it with max difficulty, etc. I suggested you do it even harder without the SP adjusters. That's it. That's all my point was. Nothing more, nothing less.

Anyways, I checked the adjusters again just now and the bosses deal 70% less damage and take 300% more:

1h7eh8J.png

1 hour ago, Pali said:

tl;dr: Overseer is boring, annoying fight and you loos tames who don't get teleported back to the Tek Cave entrance

The Overseer is yet another disappointment of WC's poor game design ...

The Overseer has 2 poorly designed "attack" phases:

• Shield - he stays still, gets a shield and is invincible ... boring boring boring gosh DILO there is literally nothing to do other than waiting for the shield to go down again ...
  • Stun - he is agile as hell flying around very fast and every 10 seconds he fires lasers in all directions which stuns everything for 3? seconds and dismounts you ... Theris are chasing him to attack him ... they hit him for 1 second until he charges another stun and happily flies away ... Theris again chase him across the arena until they reach him BUT HEY HE ALREAY HAS HIS STUN READY AGAIN AND STUNS THEM ALL ... rinse and repeat ..

In conclusion: your tames are stunned 90% of the time or he is shielded and literally invincible which makes it extremly boring and long lasting and there is literally nothing else to do ...

Even my asc sniper rifle only did 250 dmg (4000 dmg against normal wild dinos) so this was also no better strategy ...

Best part: after finishing him (on Alpha) only 16 of my 20 tames got teleported back to the Tek Cave entrance and the other 4 just vanished and I guess are lost forever? They DID NOT died inside the cave or the boss fight ... I saw all of my tames right before the end scene and also all my tames had 90% HP so they for sure just vanished.

PRO TIP: if you are on singleplayer just save your time and cheat your way, this was the most disappointing experience in ARK so far .....

I have no clue what your talking about. When I did the Overseer battle on my singleplayer, it was the most exiting and intense fight I've ever done! seems like you just lack the skill required.

7 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

Well, he said if you need a real challenge to do it without pods, etc. You said you did it with max difficulty, etc. I suggested you do it even harder without the SP adjusters. That's it. That's all my point was. Nothing more, nothing less.

Anyways, I checked the adjusters again just now and the bosses deal 70% less damage and take 300% more:

1h7eh8J.png

so how do you think will Singleplayers will ever beat the Bosses when they deal 3x damage and take 0.3x damage and they are only ONE player? Sounds like MP-exclusive game content which requires multiple palyers otherwise ...

but how would this improve the boring fight against the Overseer? sounds like the fight would just take even longer ...

PS: the Overseer took 1.0 damage (~600 dmg like any other wild dino) and NOT 3.0 damage (~1700 dmg) like all other Bosses so I guess the Overseer is an exception

1 minute ago, TimeBomb2003 said:

I have no clue what your talking about. When I did the Overseer battle on my singleplayer, it was the most exiting and intense fight I've ever done! seems like you just lack the skill required.

the fight was easy and I defeated him easily but it was boring and just took long, also no loot and 4 tames did NOT teleported back and are lost forever

Archived