Set Bonuses / Weapon Buffs feature

Zibnewski

Suggestion

As you progress in Ark, some of the low tier weapons fall off quite quickly and become useless. I usually even skip a couple of the weapons whilst leveling because there's better option around the corner. Like the Slingshot, I rather just harvest my berries for levels until I can make a Bow with Tranquilizer arrows for taming purposes while for damage I'd much rather use the Spear.

So I think it would be cool to make items like these useful in sort of a "set bonus" like they have in other RPG games. For example, when I get to the stage where I have a Pump Shotgun I won't have another look at the normal Shotgun again. But what if you'd get a 2x damage multiplier IF you're wearing, let's say a full set of fur clothes?

I mentioned the Spear earlier, which although being quite useful it's just during a very minimal phase of the game. It quickly gets replaced by a Bow (ranged) and/or a Pike (melee), which has almost double the damage. But what if a full set of Ghillie armor would grants the Spears 2x throwing distance (or 50% weight reduction) and apply Gashed to the target hit?

Back to the Slingshot, maybe that one could have a Cloth set bonus which allows you to shoot Obsidian for 2x damage or Metal Ore for 2x torpor. This means you could use it early game, but you'll need to fire expensive resources and maybe hold on a bit to upgrade into Leather armor.

Bear in mind that I'm playing PvE exclusively, so I have no PvP experience with the different weapons in Ark. Also the "set bonuses" shouldn't be OP, just give you the option of using a different weapon making the game play more dynamic early to mid game. I don't think the end game should have any sort of set bonuses (except the existing TEK set bonuses) as that'll create a static meta which everyone would follow.

What do you guys think?

2 replies to this server topic

Seems useless to me. I'd rather use an ascendent pike than a spear with gnashed, because I don't know when the spear will break and I'd have to use Ghillie armor to even get the effect when I can just slap on some riot armor and mow through a cave like a madman. The only set bonuses that would really matter would be the ones on fabricated weapons and Tek. 

19 hours ago, Qwertymine said:

Seems useless to me. I'd rather use an ascendent pike than a spear with gnashed, because I don't know when the spear will break and I'd have to use Ghillie armor to even get the effect when I can just slap on some riot armor and mow through a cave like a madman. The only set bonuses that would really matter would be the ones on fabricated weapons and Tek. 

Oh yeah, didn't take quality into account... You got a point, although I was seeking for these bonuses to affect early/mid game while riot gear should most definitely be considered late/end game imo (requires level 98 to craft).

Archived