Dino breeding

Blackmagic9000

1 hour ago, Baklap said:

Really??

I think you got pretty lucky then.

So far max i have seen is 44 pre tame, and that was a lvl 180.

And if you think 52 in speed is luck, then you have a strange definition on what luck is!

But yes, it might be rare to get it to roll in one you need, but it can happen.

And I should clarify this is after taming!

I kind of understood breeding in ARK until I watched this video 

After that, I completely understood it.  She repeats each step several times, but by the end, you understand it like its second nature.

Basically, select a dinosaur you want to breed.  Tame several of the highest level ones you can find.  Breed two of them together until you get a baby with the highest stats from the mother and father.  Then breed that baby with your next tame until you get the highest stats from both of those.  Keep repeating that until you have a baby with the highest stats from all of the wild tames you have.  Then breed until you have a male and a female that are exactly the same level with exactly the same stats.  If you are using Smart Breeding, it will tell you exactly what level you are looking for based on the dinosaurs you tamed.  Its important at this point to only breed dinosaurs with NO mutations.  If you have a baby at this point with a mutation, its basically worthless.

Once you have that male and female that are exactly the same, those become your base breeders.  Breed until you have several base females and throw the male in the middle to breed with all of them (the more eggs you get, the more chances you have at mutations).  Breed those until you get a baby that is two levels higher than your base breeders.  That means you have one mutation in something (Smart Breeding or several addons will tell you what the mutation is in).  If its a mutation that you want to raise, switch out the base male with the mutated male and then breed until you get a baby that is again, two levels higher than the new father.  In this video, she raises one mutation line at a time.  For instance, raise the health stat to 20 mutations (on the patrilineal side) and set that dino aside.  Then start with the base male again and mutate another stat like damage.  Raise that until its mutated 20 times (again keep it on one side like the patrilineal side) and set that dino aside.  Once you have done this, you breed the dinos with 20 mutations into one stat with each other.  So you would breed the 20 mutations in health with the 20 mutations in damage and you will have a baby that ends up with 40/20 mutations on the patrilineal side and 0/20 on the matrilineal side).

Those are the very basics of that video.  She goes into a lot more, very helpful detail.

I like the way she does it because the math all becomes very easy.  If you have both a male and female that are level 225 and they have all the same exact stats, every baby you produce will be 225 with those same exact stats unless you get a mutation.  Then the baby will always be 2 levels higher than the parents (unless you get a double mutation, which is rare, then the baby will be 4 levels higher).  In this case, mutations become very easy to spot when you are hatching tons of eggs at one time.  Sorry for being so wordy :)

Archived