Dino breeding

Blackmagic9000

hello fellow survior scrub lords, i wana know what i should know about breeding and the best way to understand them

For me i never tame anything below 140 no matter what, so for the sake of simple lets say i tamed 1 wild male and female and both being 150 when wild

Not sure which dino is the easiest to understand so we'll just say mana as i roughly know somewhat about them, now with that out of the way I'm sure this could apply to the rest of the dinos....so anyone understand how that system works plus how you get the mutations? Thanks!

Chances are your two wilds have different stats. If you breed them together over and over purely by chance you'll get babies with the best stats from both parents, these will have higher levels. Much ado is made in breeding circles about that, and hunting out the best starting stats in e.g. melee. or whatever. You sound like you just want to start with two random high lvl wilds... so there really isn't much to it beyond that. Just make lots and lots of babies. If you raise all the females you get, then you will get more eggs each round.

11 hours ago, Blackmagic9000 said:

so anyone understand how that system works plus how you get the mutations?

Mutations just happen. Raise lots of babies and you will occasionally notice they have a mutated stat.

Ill explain stat distribution if you don't already know. Each stat has a certain amount of "points" in it. If you tame a dino and it ends up as level 224, it will have 223 points, a level 209 will have 208 points ect. These points are randomly distributed amount its 7 stats (speed is one of the stats but torpor is not) with more points resulting in a higher stat, other than for speed which will never increase. I typically look for at least 40 points for the stats I want, I check stats with the program Ark Smart Breeding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VLNElxm5_s

That is the best breeding guide I've seen. As long as you under stats points/stats you should be able to understand that video.

13 hours ago, Blackmagic9000 said:

hello fellow survior scrub lords, i wana know what i should know about breeding and the best way to understand them

For me i never tame anything below 140 no matter what, so for the sake of simple lets say i tamed 1 wild male and female and both being 150 when wild

Not sure which dino is the easiest to understand so we'll just say mana as i roughly know somewhat about them, now with that out of the way I'm sure this could apply to the rest of the dinos....so anyone understand how that system works plus how you get the mutations? Thanks!

There are a series of videos on Youtube by "TimmyCarbine" that explain everything you could possibly want to know about breeding. He explains things well and moves at a good pace so you have time to understand what he's saying. If you watch his videos first you will save yourself time in the long run and will be able to avoid mistakes.

6 hours ago, Thyme said:

Ill explain stat distribution if you don't already know. Each stat has a certain amount of "points" in it. If you tame a dino and it ends up as level 224, it will have 223 points, a level 209 will have 208 points ect. These points are randomly distributed amount its 7 stats (speed is one of the stats but torpor is not) with more points resulting in a higher stat, other than for speed which will never increase. I typically look for at least 40 points for the stats I want, I check stats with the program Ark Smart Breeding.

That is the best breeding guide I've seen. As long as you under stats points/stats you should be able to understand that video.

It isn't correct to call it random distrobution though between the 6 or 7 stats.  While nothing digital is truly random, stat distribution is even less so.  I'd say it's more like a level 224 tame has 223 points split between 7 stats, the stats will be randomly distributed around the average of 31.86 for that level of tame. This isn't how it works, but it is closer to how it appears than calling it randomly distributed.

We hunt for lots of high level tames until we find ones that have good starting values to mutate up from.  Generally this is somewhere around 45 points and up.  When to start mutating is when you think it would take longer to find better in the wild than it would be to just mutate on up.   Finding the 52point plus stat is super rare, w/out mods or a large player community, it would be so rare that it would probably be best to just get started w/ 44 if you got it already.

Thank you all for such helpful tips!

I am so thankful to meet wonderful surviors, that video even though i do not fully understand it i feel like i could

I think i will do Dilophosaurus for a test to understand, sometimes i work best when someone gives me an example to work off on lol

22 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

It isn't correct to call it random distrobution though between the 6 or 7 stats.  While nothing digital is truly random, stat distribution is even less so.  I'd say it's more like a level 224 tame has 223 points split between 7 stats, the stats will be randomly distributed around the average of 31.86 for that level of tame. This isn't how it works, but it is closer to how it appears than calling it randomly distributed.

We hunt for lots of high level tames until we find ones that have good starting values to mutate up from.  Generally this is somewhere around 45 points and up.  When to start mutating is when you think it would take longer to find better in the wild than it would be to just mutate on up.   Finding the 52point plus stat is super rare, w/out mods or a large player community, it would be so rare that it would probably be best to just get started w/ 44 if you got it already.

Well yeah, it is correct to call it random, the game doesn't just divide up 223 points into 7 stats, it rolls each level individually until it finishes building the dino. Each individual roll is random, and that means the the cumulative result of 223 rolls is also random. It's not a random roll from 1-223, but it is 223 separate random rolls from 1-7.

Every time a dino gains a level the game generates a number from number from 1-7 whichever number it "rolls" that's the stat that gets that level.

1 - Health
2 - Stamina
3 - Oxygen
4 - Food
5 - Weight
6 - Damage
7 - Speed

Then, when the dino gains another level, it does this same "roll" from 1-7 and gives that new level to whatever stat gets rolled.

This is how the game "builds" wild dinos, one level at a time until it calculates the final stats and then puts that wild dino into the game, and this is how it adds levels to dino's when you tame them, one "roll" per level per until it adds on all of the levels that get added during the taming process.

Each individual level gets its own separate roll, from 1-7 to assign that level to a stat, until all of the levels are used up. The results will be "will be randomly distributed around the average" because that's what happens when you make a lot of individual die rolls to determine the final results.

When you do a 1-7 roll 223 times to build a single dino it only makes sense that most animals tend to be average, you would get the same thing if you could make a seven-sided physical die and rolled it 223 times. It's hard to get away from an average distribution when you do that many rolls to build the dino, which is why exceptional animals are hard to find.

Stat distribution is not "even less so", it is every bit as random as anything else you see on any computer.

And as for the argument that "nothing digital is truly random" it's still much more random than any human being could ever determine without knowing both the RNG seed and the algorithm for the randomizer. Computer randomness is not perfectly random, but it's close enough to perfect that it makes no difference. The dice you buy with board games are also not perfectly random, but just like a computer they're random enough that the difference simpy doesn't matter.

4 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

Well yeah, it is correct to call it random, the game doesn't just divide up 223 points into 7 stats, it rolls each level individually until it finishes building the dino. Each individual roll is random, and that means the the cumulative result of 223 rolls is also random. It's not a random roll from 1-223, but it is 223 separate random rolls from 1-7.

Every time a dino gains a level the game generates a number from number from 1-7 whichever number it "rolls" that's the stat that gets that level.

1 - Health
2 - Stamina
3 - Oxygen
4 - Food
5 - Weight
6 - Damage
7 - Speed

Then, when the dino gains another level, it does this same "roll" from 1-7 and gives that new level to whatever stat gets rolled.

This is how the game "builds" wild dinos, one level at a time until it calculates the final stats and then puts that wild dino into the game, and this is how it adds levels to dino's when you tame them, one "roll" per level per until it adds on all of the levels that get added during the taming process.

Each individual level gets its own separate roll, from 1-7 to assign that level to a stat, until all of the levels are used up. The results will be "will be randomly distributed around the average" because that's what happens when you make a lot of individual die rolls to determine the final results.

When you do a 1-7 roll 223 times to build a single dino it only makes sense that most animals tend to be average, you would get the same thing if you could make a seven-sided physical die and rolled it 223 times. It's hard to get away from an average distribution when you do that many rolls to build the dino, which is why exceptional animals are hard to find.

Stat distribution is not "even less so", it is every bit as random as anything else you see on any computer.

And as for the argument that "nothing digital is truly random" it's still much more random than any human being could ever determine without knowing both the RNG seed and the algorithm for the randomizer. Computer randomness is not perfectly random, but it's close enough to perfect that it makes no difference. The dice you buy with board games are also not perfectly random, but just like a computer they're random enough that the difference simpy doesn't matter.

Great, we can visualize that with a small script. This program:

for(var j =0;j<30;j++){
    var x1 = 0;
    var x2= 0;
    var x3 = 0;
    var x4= 0;
    var x5 = 0;
    var x6 = 0;
    var x7 = 0;
    for(var i =0;i<223;i++){
            var ran = random(0,7);
            if(ran<=1){
                x1++;
            }if(ran>1&&ran<=2){
                x2++;
            }if(ran>2&&ran<=3){
                x3++;
            }if(ran>3&&ran<=4){
                x4++;
            }if(ran>4&&ran<=5){
                x5++;
            }if(ran>5&&ran<=6){
                x6++;
            }if(ran>6&&ran<=7){
                x7++;
            }
        }
        println(x1+","+x2+","+x3+","+x4+","+x5+","+x6+","+x7);
}

output this:

1 hour ago, GerBear said:

try to go for 50 points in each stat

Looking through the output of my little script, I don't see a single 50. Looks like 40ish should be your target, you'd have to tame ~30 dinos and then you'd have a good chance of getting one with 40ish in  your preferred stat, and 20ish in your least favorite stat.

Just now, Blackmagic9000 said:

so how do you guys know what stat got what?

And what do you guys use to help with knowing whats what

Just picture i started my Frist generation i guess, also there isn't many x creatures like gigga etc

I use a combination of dododex and ARK Smart Breeding to check and see now many points each stat got. Dododex for before taming and ARK Smart Breeding for once tamed. If you you are looking to see how many points your dino has in each stat and don't have access to Ark Smart Breeding you can also check in singleplayer with the identify tool on the admin rifle. Type the admin command gcm in single player and it should give the admin rifle to you. Once you have it start spawning in tamed dinos such as perfect tame level  150s and check ther stats out. It should tell you how the points were distributed into each stat. If you do this remember to UNCHECK THE USE SINGLE PLAYER SETTINGS BOX. If you dont uncheck it the stats will be way different than the ones on official servers. Hope this helps.

4 hours ago, Blackmagic9000 said:

so how do you guys know what stat got what?

And what do you guys use to help with knowing whats what

Just picture i started my Frist generation i guess, also there isn't many x creatures like gigga etc

It looks like you missed my answer earlier in this thread. The best way for you to learn about breeding will be to watch the series of videos on YouTube by TimmyCarbine. No one can possibly type enough words here on the forums to match the information he gives in those videos.

You will have a very hard time learning how to understand breeding from reading forum posts, you really need to watch those videos.

On 9/26/2020 at 9:15 PM, GrumpyBear said:

Generally this is somewhere around 45 points and up.

I feel like I should point out that this is based on divvying 223 points, that is from a perfect tamed 150 dino. So if you knock out a wild 150 and look at its stat distribution PRE tame... expect less. 150/7=21 ish, so if you are holding your breath for 50 points into a certain stat pre tame you will never see that.

9 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

I feel like I should point out that this is based on divvying 223 points, that is from a perfect tamed 150 dino. So if you knock out a wild 150 and look at its stat distribution PRE tame... expect less. 150/7=21 ish, so if you are holding your breath for 50 points into a certain stat pre tame you will never see that.

That's not true, that you will never see a level 50 in stats in the wild, have come across that a few times now.

On 9/26/2020 at 2:24 PM, Thyme said:

Thank you this is exactly what I needed!

On 10/4/2020 at 2:11 AM, CyberAngel67 said:

That's not true, that you will never see a level 50 in stats in the wild, have come across that a few times now.

I should just say "you were extremely lucky" and move on. But to make that more mathematically precise... ish - let's say the probability of the event is 1:500 we could work that out but we don't need to be that precise. Since anyone breeder is unlikely to go out taming 500 dinosaurs looking for that one stat, I'd say I'm justified saying "you will never see that". The probability is not zero, but if you, as an individual breeder, are only going to tame say 30 dinos... then it might as well be. ON THE OTHER HAND - in a forum like this where (at the time I'm writing this) 346 people have viewed this thread (and how many of those are likely to be breeders given the title of the thread?) what is the probability that one of the viewers had tamed a dino with 50 lvls in a wild stat? Let's say less than half of the viewers looked at the stats for 30 wild dinos, now I'm really spit balling but... so lets call it 30*150=4,500 dinos? ...sooooo with a event happening at 1:500 and 4500 chances for it to happen you'd expect it to happen several times.

On 9/28/2020 at 3:42 AM, Blackmagic9000 said:

Guys in English please 

whoopps I did it again lol. Well at least I didn't use any complicated equations! :D

Archived