windows server WMI Provider Host, High CPU in last 24 hours.

AshleyLee

I've got bit of odd situation, WMI Provider Host started sucking up CPU cycles sometime in the last 24hr.  After some googling and digging I found the event Log for WMI-Activity is full of Errors  and this appears to be the problem.  All the errors are tied to ARK Server Process IDs.  I'm not entirely sure what's up with this, but maybe a patch in the last 24 hours borked something.  What little googling has told me is that this is a application problem not a server problem per se.

WMI Provider Host basically sucked up all available cpu resources until I set it's affinity to 1 thread and priority to low. At this setting it sucks up an entire core/thread. but doesn't crush the server.

Windows Server 2019 Standard

E5-2670 8c/16t

128gb Ram

Example error event.

8648799_2020-09-25-19_16.33Hathor-RemoteDesktopConnection.png.c9d40c65a12f5b81d8a20b8d58a08c94.png

Update: So while it does affect modded and non-modded servers modded servers seem to make it much worse, not sure why.

error 80041032 looks like a timeout error.  It looks like a DB "SELECT" query is timing out here.

One of the recommended "solutions" is to open a DOS prompt as administrator and
sfc /scannow

On completion, sfc might report that it wasn't able to fix the error it found.  If so, then...
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

• 11 months later...

Archived