windows 10: do you have to use steam to get ark?

Ive been googling. I play this on my PS4 but Im getting jealous of all the mods I hear about for PC. I see it on steam and I see it on the microsoft store but Im really not sure which is better and gets you all the mods. I have not had a windows machine for a decade. and IDK what is steam or why I would want to play a game via that. or if thats just a store front?

HOPEING I can just purchase on MS store and not have to have an xbox account as I do not have an xbox. 

• Volunteer Moderator
42 minutes ago, dizeyner said:

Ive been googling. I play this on my PS4 but Im getting jealous of all the mods I hear about for PC. I see it on steam and I see it on the microsoft store but Im really not sure which is better and gets you all the mods. I have not had a windows machine for a decade. and IDK what is steam or why I would want to play a game via that. or if thats just a store front?

HOPEING I can just purchase on MS store and not have to have an xbox account as I do not have an xbox. 

Get it on Steam. The Microsoft store is technically the Xbox version therefore can't use mods.

• Like 1

Steam store version = main version, always up to date, and moddable

Windows store version = neglected version, always lagging behind the Steam one, and NO MODS

Epic store version = released very recently, no mods for now (should change in the future)

As you can see, choice is easy. Steam is the way to go.

Another thing to know : players using the Windows store version can only play with console users. Players using the Steam version cannot play with console users, but they can play with players using the Epic store version if the server has no mods.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, dizeyner said:

I have not had a windows machine for a decade.

Technically Steam can run on both mac and linux os. But do some research if you don't want to run windows.

Also, Ark takes a good computer to run well. Make sure to look at the recommended specs. And harddrive space is a lot more than listed in the description.

I have not had a windows machine for a decade.

ARK is pretty brutal on PC's, you have to have a fairly good machine if you want it to look good and have a good frame rate. From what I'm told by friends who own consoles, WildCard does a good job of making sure that the game runs with good graphics and framerate on XBox and PS4, but if you want the best look on a PC then you're going to spend extra money.

The game is quite playable on a lower-end machine if you're willing to turn the graphics settings way down.

If the only reason you're buying a PC is to play ARK with mods that seems like a waste of your money unless you just have plenty of disposable income and nothing to do with it.

• Like 1

Unless you want playdough textures, you need a decent graphics card, not just better than integrated.

I have all my settings on low RN except textures on dinos so they don’t look like blobs, I have mat loadup options and stuff to make it run better, 6 FPS and lag spikes, I have integrated graphics, 8 ram and HDD, so in MY opinion that setup is good.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand why people keep saying Microsoft version is not able to be modded. I've had dino lv into 800's, player lv 800's, auto unlock engrams, all engrams from every map, able to use flyers on Genesis, stack mod, building stuff cheaper, etc. All on dedicated server. I can also save people's characters and insert into all maps so if I switch servers they can just join and go. 

• Volunteer Moderator
9 minutes ago, TUGGSENIOR said:

I don't understand why people keep saying Microsoft version is not able to be modded. I've had dino lv into 800's, player lv 800's, auto unlock engrams, all engrams from every map, able to use flyers on Genesis, stack mod, building stuff cheaper, etc. All on dedicated server. I can also save people's characters and insert into all maps so if I switch servers they can just join and go. 

All of that is editable in the INI.

What people are talking about here is actual mods that add new content etc. I.e. the Steam workshop stuff like S+, all that type of stuff which no other version than Steam can get currently.

People should not forget about custom load options via steam: leave ark settings on default and custom options do the rest.

My PC specs - AMD FX six core 3.5Ghz, 16Gb Ram, GeForce GTXS 1050 Ti, cheap MoBo (needs replacing)

Before using load options my game would crash, now with load options I can play in a fairly built up single player base at around 40 to 60 fps.

Its not great but allows me to play.

A quick google search will tell you what each setting does.

1. Go into your steam games library
2. Find Ark Survival and right click it
3. Select properties
4. In the General tab, click: Set Launch Options...
5. Paste this in

-USEALLAVAILABLECORES -sm4 -d3d10 -nomansky -lowmemory -novsync -high

6. Click okay
7. Launch the game NORMALLY, meaning do not click anything else but normal game start when booting the game up.

On 10/10/2020 at 7:04 AM, GP said:

All of that is editable in the INI.

What people are talking about here is actual mods that add new content etc. I.e. the Steam workshop stuff like S+, all that type of stuff which no other version than Steam can get currently.

I wish I had bought the store version. because the steam version does not run on my windows PC. hoping to get my money back and go get the MS version.

On 10/10/2020 at 12:51 PM, TUGGSENIOR said:

The "Stack mod" you speak of is just individually changing the amount per stack for every item in the game. It's not a steam workshop mod

On 10/13/2020 at 6:47 PM, dizeyner said:

I wish I had bought the store version. because the steam version does not run on my windows PC. hoping to get my money back and go get the MS version.

If the steam version doesn't run on your PC the Microsoft version wont run either. Also, the microsoft store version is basically the exact same thing as the PS4 version. The microsoft store version does not have mods.