Holiday events

bladeturbo

HI, i know this has been brought up before, but i was curious if there was anyway you could add the holiday events assets back into the game and possibly make if an option to run or not (or possibly an aditional download like a mod or something along those lines)? i mean i thought it was really cool i could run the winter wonderland or the halloween event anytime i wanted to on SP or on my private server. i am a layman when it comes to game programming so there must have been a good reason for the removal.

thank you.

• Volunteer Moderator
4 hours ago, bladeturbo said:

thank you for replying, that makes sense. it would be nice to be able to have an option to download them like a holdiay DLC. its sad that the non-complainers have to suffer.  i have no problem with the size of the game considering how cheap hdd space is nowadays (for pc at least).

This was not done to reduce game size as Aylana suggested but to save of memory. Basically, every items, every species, every overrides, etc. from every events had to be pre-loaded by both clients and servers in case they were activated, etc. This was an issue especially for consoles that are limited in memory which was making it hard for the devs to add new permanent creatures and items to the game (such as through Genesis). So, by stripping seasonal contents and other stuff they were able to reduce the memory usage.

Although the post seems directed to PC, in the reference to have the holidays as mods, I would have to say that as a console player I too would love to have event options back. 

One of the things we used to do on my cluster is allow someone who has a birthday to select an event for a week. Usually the selection was based on the colors behind the event more so than the event itself, but it either way it was a fun method for to select when an event would be active. 

However I do understand the issues with memory. They did explain it as such when they started to remove certain aspects from the events. That said, I have also noticed that the events they have run since then will work. For example, the Easter and Summer Blast events can be set in the general settings and the colors and items associated do show up in game. At least they do for my crossplay server. The others don't, but those do. 

So it seems some events may slowly make their way back into the selection process. We just have to wait for the official version of the game to use them to have them updated in order for them to work for the unofficial selection process. 

Under than reasoning, the Fear Evolved event would be the next event affected. Which I believe occurs in October as a halloween event of sorts. It will be interesting to see if it can still be accessed after the event ends as with the others. 

18 minutes ago, Dinobros2000 said:

I think adding these as a DLC would do well. Obviously people can add them in mods for PC players, I do hope they bring them back though. They switched it before I switched to PC I think, and on Xbox typing sucks.

Events tend to change year to year. So how exactly would a DLC work, event plus year? Halloween 2018?

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2020 at 5:33 AM, invincibleqc said:

This was not done to reduce game size as Aylana suggested but to save of memory. Basically, every items, every species, every overrides, etc. from every events had to be pre-loaded by both clients and servers in case they were activated, etc. This was an issue especially for consoles that are limited in memory which was making it hard for the devs to add new permanent creatures and items to the game (such as through Genesis). So, by stripping seasonal contents and other stuff they were able to reduce the memory usage.

Do I understand you correctly that it's not a problem that the assets are on disk, but that the assets exist in game increasing the size of the save file on disk, i.e. the memory used?

In that case - I would still be fine with them removing the items when the event was over, but as long as we run the event, through the -ActiveEvent argument, it wouldn't remove it!

On 9/23/2020 at 5:50 PM, Aylana314159 said:

Events tend to change year to year. So how exactly would a DLC work, event plus year? Halloween 2018?

I would be fine with them only keeping the latest version. Usually, I just want to make them last longer, which I assumed was the most common use case. Even when bringing them back later the same year, I don't see a problem with it being the latest version.

• 9 months later...

I know this has been brought up before (i know once by me lol), but will we be able to run the events manually on Ark 1 unofficial servers when Ark 2 comes out. I'm going to play Ark 2 eventually, but i don't want to abandon Ark 1 altogether. i know they can't do this now because of the size and the consolers. I'm just afraid that once Ark 2 comes out, Ark one will lose alot of love. It would be great if we could run the different holidays anytime

Archived