Four Quality of Life Changes

Zuus

Suggestion

(1)   Make the Transmitter craftable at level 20 so that more people can take advantage of expansions and maps sooner.

Not always easy or safe to use an obelisk or supply drop at lower levels, fabricator craftable transmitter.

This would go a long way if you Wildcard want to sell this stuff (expansions).

(2)   Make transfer 100% safe and easy, this is a huge bug.

(3)   Stop using "kill volumes" for anti-meshing, just teleport anyone under the world to a safe spot.

This will free up GM's for one thing.

No need to punish the majority of good people, just because a handful want to exploit.

(4)  Can All decay timers be the same time ?

Some of these timers are not compatible for  Real Life  , make all decay timers a set amount of days in the 20-30 day range.

If I was to say go on a two week vacation, 20 days would let me do it if I use PODs for the dinos.

btw: good job, to who ever added cryopods to the game !

14 replies to this server topic

So I guess you don't have too much experience with ark because you can do a note run on island and easily get high enough level to start beta dragon which unlocks transmitter, assuming you have the stuff to beat it which I dont think you do the way you're going about it. Ark is about using your resources the most effective way you can and if you're playing pvp you have to accept the risks. Even if you could craft it in a fabricator thered be no way to just take out element from crafting it. Level 20 is insanely low aswell If anything the minimum should be level 100. My best suggestion to you would to be get a tribe no matter how you do it but you need more experience in the game and it's going to be hard to get that by yourself. No one comes into the game and given everything they have it requires skill and a fair amount of luck 

On 9/29/2020 at 1:28 AM, Bulgyfiber3926 said:

So I guess you don't have too much experience with ark because you can do a note run on island and easily get high enough level to start beta dragon which unlocks transmitter, assuming you have the stuff to beat it which I dont think you do the way you're going about it. Ark is about using your resources the most effective way you can and if you're playing pvp you have to accept the risks. Even if you could craft it in a fabricator thered be no way to just take out element from crafting it. Level 20 is insanely low aswell If anything the minimum should be level 100. My best suggestion to you would to be get a tribe no matter how you do it but you need more experience in the game and it's going to be hard to get that by yourself. No one comes into the game and given everything they have it requires skill and a fair amount of luck 

I guess I dont know, but I do have 5700+ hours and was around for beta Ark before transfers was a thing. Also have plenty of dinos and friends to get any tek points I want. If I have access to my base, leveling and using obs or drops isnt a problem, but for new players with nothing it can be a real challenge, try it sometime and the game actually feels easier now than it did when level 50 was max, not by much but I still think it is easier now. Nothing like argents with 2k+% pecking you to death.

I dont think its bad for new players to have access to a transmitter at there base so they can explore other expansions, it can be a clunky metal version that uses gas or electric to run, the idea that transfers need to be difficult is just dumb, most games do this easily by walking through a barrier, no jumping through hoops, no taking off gear and throwing your food away or losing items when you do go to another server/map, it just works and anyone can use them.

No I dont play pvp and would never on official. 

1. It's a survival game, it should be hard. 

2. Agree. WC really needs to work on the backend and make this system reliable.

3. I play with the setting off, so I don't have much input. False positives need to get corrected, there needs to be an in-game reporting method.

4. Without a landclaim and monetary system, similar to MMO houses, I don't see vacation status happening.  Imagine tons of thatch huts being around for a month even though the player quit. Decay happens for a reason.

Now instead of doing a complete rework of the structure system, WC could add an industrial or tek structure that protects the same area as the generator range and extends decay timers as it gets feed resources or element. But this would likely get abused by people who don't actually play and just cannot let go of their pixels

On 9/21/2020 at 8:35 PM, Zuus said:

Originally the obelisk was only for bosses (bosses=tek), after they put transfer in the game, they should have added a way to use a crafted transmitter earlier, thats why I say ~level 20 in fab.

No? That's exactly what supply drops are for. They give you plenty of time to upload most of your stuff, especially if you're level 20. 

Transferring isn't terribly hard, just super risky given all the bugs associated with it. 

22 hours ago, Aylana314159 said:

1. This makes the game too easy and removes the need to get to end game. Plus beacon can be used to transfer servers if obelisks are too far away.

4. This would lead to increased clutter. Getting to metal is doable in a few hours,no reason to be stuck with thatch.

1) Recently not by choice I had to make a new char, let me reassure you there is nothing easy about Ark at level 20, try it sometime without a tribe.

Having a craftable transmitter at ~20 would make the game safer yes, but only if I had an expansion or map I wanted to go to.

Seeing how the obelisk was designed exclusively for bosses when the game was released and only years later expansions and maps added a new reason for them, it only makes sense to make use of that new system by making transfer ability from inside your base.

No beacons on island map, haven't been to Scorched Earth and RAG lately but there was no beacons last time I was on the maps. Haven't found one on Crystal isles either. supply drops yes but those are timed and as transfer is buggy I dont want to take chances with those if I have gear and dinos with me.

Also try Aberration without a transmitter.

Island is the map a new person would probably start with as its a core game map.

4) This is current timers:

Thatch - 4 days
Greenhouse - 15 days
---> Dinos - 8 days  (only a handful (2 important) will die before decay)
Wood - 8 days
Stone - 12 days
Metal - 16 days
Tek - 20 days

I dont see extra clutter if tek, stone (a personal favorite), metal, greenhouse  and dinos was all 20 days, not everyone only plays games, some of us have to pay bills.

Thatch and spike walls should be low, most people dont build these to last.

Wood is an odd transition time but I see some people use and like the look.

Just another's perspective on the suggested changes, 

• Make the Transmitter craftable at level 20 so that more people can take advantage of expansions and maps sooner.
    • Having played all the maps at official and unofficial levels as a individual player without a tribe, I can say that while it can be difficult - it is by no means impossible to access an obelisk, loot crate, or drop on each of the maps at an earlier level if you need to move between maps. They all exist on each of the maps if you know where to look or can ask google for some assistance. Now it does take some work, and you may perish along the way, but it is a survival game so that work and effort is sort of expected. 
    • So for this one, no thank you. I understand your reasoning, but honestly - it takes some of the challenge out of the game. The Transmitter is a convenience earned - like many tek items, and in my opinion it shouldn't be something you can learn to make your life easier early on. Plus it is another item that creates the drive to reach the boss fights and earn the access to the item. 
  • Make transfer 100% safe and easy, this is a huge bug. 
    • While it is not a bug I have been bitten by - it is an issue I have read many having. If there is a way to do it I will  agree that it should be done. There have been many suggestions on this very subject that you should probably read up on and see which you prefer. Each method, like any other, will have it pros and cons. Though for this, I think the pro's obviously outweigh any cons that could be out there. 
  • Stop using "kill volumes" for anti-meshing, just teleport anyone under the world to a safe spot.
    • Having switched to unofficial before this was added, I can safely say my cluster have never had this turned on. For one, we don't have meshers who mesh to cause issue. If anything we have those who tend to find meshing locations and have fun in reporting them on our discord to warn others where they are. 
    • However for those that do play with it, I would have to vote in the direction of a teleportation method as previously described. Not all meshing happens on purpose. So having an effective - but safe method to combat meshing would be idea, and teleporting you to your last spawn location, one of the default spawn locations on the map, or to an area just outside of the location so you don't travel far seems like a decent one. 
  • Can All decay timers be the same time ?
    • While I understand the reasoning behind this one, I can't agree with it. On my cluster we tried something similar- and it was a horrible mess. New players popped in, built random structures, and left. Some players stayed, built massive laggy bases - then left. And in both scenarios I would have to dedicate hours to going in and cleaning up what was left behind or we would wait an incredibly long period of time to have them decay on their own which led to a massive number of starter huts, homes, bases, and boats scattered around the map.
    • So unless your suggestion is that they all be caped at the thatch or wood level - no thank you. 
    • Personally I would rather them be left as they are. And if you need the extra time, you do the work for the materials to give you the time you need. Once we adjusted the settings off the extended timers, I merely suggested everyone build a "Safe Room" out of tek in order to store items for the extended period of time if they were leaving on vacation and had no one else to render in their bases. It may not be the solution you are looking for - but it works within the parameters. And for those that hadn't done the boss fights, we had those that had were willing to craft the items they needed to build the room at the cost of the supplies to do so. We do play PvE and working together managed to get everyone what they needed.

So 2 out of the 4 were decent suggestions, the others I simply can't agree with and because of that I will not be upvoting this suggestion. I did like the 2 that I think would be generally good ideas - but the others I simply can't get behind when considering the overall effect they could have one the game. 

On 9/23/2020 at 10:51 AM, SapphireSam7 said:

Just another's perspective on the suggested changes, 

• Make the Transmitter craftable at level 20 so that more people can take advantage of expansions and maps sooner.
    • Having played all the maps at official and unofficial levels as a individual player without a tribe, I can say that while it can be difficult - it is by no means impossible to access an obelisk, loot crate, or drop on each of the maps at an earlier level if you need to move between maps. They all exist on each of the maps if you know where to look or can ask google for some assistance. Now it does take some work, and you may perish along the way, but it is a survival game so that work and effort is sort of expected. 
    • So for this one, no thank you. I understand your reasoning, but honestly - it takes some of the challenge out of the game. The Transmitter is a convenience earned - like many tek items, and in my opinion it shouldn't be something you can learn to make your life easier early on. Plus it is another item that creates the drive to reach the boss fights and earn the access to the item. 
  • Make transfer 100% safe and easy, this is a huge bug. 
    • While it is not a bug I have been bitten by - it is an issue I have read many having. If there is a way to do it I will  agree that it should be done. There have been many suggestions on this very subject that you should probably read up on and see which you prefer. Each method, like any other, will have it pros and cons. Though for this, I think the pro's obviously outweigh any cons that could be out there. 
  • Stop using "kill volumes" for anti-meshing, just teleport anyone under the world to a safe spot.
    • Having switched to unofficial before this was added, I can safely say my cluster have never had this turned on. For one, we don't have meshers who mesh to cause issue. If anything we have those who tend to find meshing locations and have fun in reporting them on our discord to warn others where they are. 
    • However for those that do play with it, I would have to vote in the direction of a teleportation method as previously described. Not all meshing happens on purpose. So having an effective - but safe method to combat meshing would be idea, and teleporting you to your last spawn location, one of the default spawn locations on the map, or to an area just outside of the location so you don't travel far seems like a decent one. 
  • Can All decay timers be the same time ?
    • While I understand the reasoning behind this one, I can't agree with it. On my cluster we tried something similar- and it was a horrible mess. New players popped in, built random structures, and left. Some players stayed, built massive laggy bases - then left. And in both scenarios I would have to dedicate hours to going in and cleaning up what was left behind or we would wait an incredibly long period of time to have them decay on their own which led to a massive number of starter huts, homes, bases, and boats scattered around the map.
    • So unless your suggestion is that they all be caped at the thatch or wood level - no thank you. 
    • Personally I would rather them be left as they are. And if you need the extra time, you do the work for the materials to give you the time you need. Once we adjusted the settings off the extended timers, I merely suggested everyone build a "Safe Room" out of tek in order to store items for the extended period of time if they were leaving on vacation and had no one else to render in their bases. It may not be the solution you are looking for - but it works within the parameters. And for those that hadn't done the boss fights, we had those that had were willing to craft the items they needed to build the room at the cost of the supplies to do so. We do play PvE and working together managed to get everyone what they needed.

So 2 out of the 4 were decent suggestions, the others I simply can't agree with and because of that I will not be upvoting this suggestion. I did like the 2 that I think would be generally good ideas - but the others I simply can't get behind when considering the overall effect they could have one the game. 

Thanks for your feedback,

I just would like to point out that catering to end game is ok for some games, like games that have a subscription.

If I was a game company, I would want to up-sell as much as I could, making transfer difficult early on could hurt sales of expansions to new players.

I have everything I could want in the game (basically end game for me), Ive even done server/map firsts when I was active, I still dont like using supply drops to craft or transfer.

As for number four, its never going to be a problem for some people, until its a problem, the day you forget to reset something, then you will agree.

Most people I play Ark with dont bother making tek buildings other than the doors, even the few that run bosses everyday just for element for the generators.

I like Ark otherwise I wouldnt have put 5700+ hours into the game, I end up walking away when a game turns into a job, Ark is on that edge, even though I am giving it +time for survival.

Ark keeps changing and it will either get better or worse depending on who you talk to.

13 hours ago, Zuus said:

No beacons on island map, haven't been to Scorched Earth and RAG lately but there was no beacons last time I was on the maps. Haven't found one on Crystal isles either. supply drops yes but those are timed and as transfer is buggy I dont want to take chances with those if I have gear and dinos with me.

Beacons means drops, and all thoes maps have obilisks, 

On 9/19/2020 at 6:39 AM, Aylana314159 said:

1. It's a survival game, it should be hard. 

2. Agree. WC really needs to work on the backend and make this system reliable.

3. I play with the setting off, so I don't have much input. False positives need to get corrected, there needs to be an in-game reporting method.

4. Without a landclaim and monetary system, similar to MMO houses, I don't see vacation status happening.  Imagine tons of thatch huts being around for a month even though the player quit. Decay happens for a reason.

Now instead of doing a complete rework of the structure system, WC could add an industrial or tek structure that protects the same area as the generator range and extends decay timers as it gets feed resources or element. But this would likely get abused by people who don't actually play and just cannot let go of their pixels

Thanks everyone for replying to this thread.

1) The game is and can be plenty hard, the idea here is to give people a reason to explore all the maps and expansions sooner.

The tek transmitter requires you to be level 100+ and to beat three bosses to unlock. With the current state and bugs with transfer, adding a fab version wouldnt hurt  anything, if they can make transfers 100% safe.

Originally the obelisk was only for bosses (bosses=tek), after they put transfer in the game, they should have added a way to use a crafted transmitter earlier, thats why I say ~level 20 in fab.

On one of the maps I play on, someone made their base on one of the obelisk and I dont think you can actually use it without flying in, how is a level 20 able to use that if they cant even get to it ? The panic that goes along with uploading to supply drops is not something you want to do at 20 or even higher level, really.

2)   Yes this is a very real problem and bug, it happened to me about a month ago, I have a thread in general and people reply almost everyday having the same          problem.  This needs to be safe and easy, even if it takes longer to transfer.

3) Its just a bad idea to kill off players/dinos, the majority are not exploiting the game. There is better ways to deal with people falling through maps, most games dont try to kill you  if you fall off or through maps. I can name plenty of games that use a teleport system, which works instantly and requires no GM support.

4)   20 days is not too much to ask for, at least for stone, metal and dinos, currently your dinos can decay in about 8 days even if they are fed.

Elemental probably could live for months off rocks.

Thatch and of all things that live forever (spike walls) can decay in a few days, I wouldn't care about either one.

On 9/18/2020 at 6:36 PM, Zuus said:

(3)   Stop using "kill volumes" for anti-meshing, just teleport anyone under the world to a safe spot.

This will free up GM's for one thing.

GMs don't replace things killed by the antimesh system. No time to free up here, it's an auto reply message.

1 and 4) not every suggestion is appropriate for official servers. But unofficial servers exist or can be created to fit your needs. 

2 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

GMs don't replace things killed by the antimesh system. No time to free up here, it's an auto reply message.

1 and 4) not every suggestion is appropriate for official servers. But unofficial servers exist or can be created to fit your needs. 

1 and 4 are ok and suggested for official as is everything on this thread.

When you put a ticket in for meshing killing a dino they will have to take time.

See the anti-meshing thread.

41 minutes ago, Zuus said:

1 and 4 are ok and suggested for official as is everything on this thread.

1. This makes the game too easy and removes the need to get to end game. Plus beacon can be used to transfer servers if obelisks are too far away.

4. This would lead to increased clutter. Getting to metal is doable in a few hours,no reason to be stuck with thatch.

Archived