Dont know which is a bug or not

Evanor

I recently switched from server to singleplayer. in the past week of playing ive noticed a myriad of differences that seem to be undocumented and unchangeable. The most pressing issue is doing the hard water cave on the island was a breeze on server with my basilosaurus, i could pull the whole room and kill them at once. but on singleplayer it seems that the damage animation overrides attacking so a group of piranhas were effectively stunlocking me to death which was never the case on server, my attack speed was unhindered by anything. i dont know which is the bug or are both intended differences.

Another difference was that the range my tames could breed seemed to be a circle around the whole physical size of the model, which made it possible to breed a dozen dinos at once, but in singleplayer the range seems to be a circle around their foot placement meaning i can only breed 4 dinos at a time phased inside of eachother. again, i dont now if this is an intentional difference or if one of these is a bug

These are some pretty big issues i would really love a solution to other than renting a server to play solo at $15 per month. because i cant see myself continuing to play like this, and i was excited to buy the next expansions when i finished the island

I could be wrong but I think there are also differences in the taming of water dinos.

But, what do you expect? That singleplayer and official are identical? There are many reasons for wildcard to have different rulesets for singleplayer and official. And of course we players have to find out all differences by ourself :D

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, Evanor said:

So singleplayer is intentionally more difficult with no way to change it, but nobody knows why?

I wouldn't say it is intentional. The key difference is that the server will tick way less often resulting into creatures appearing to be attacking less frequently than they do on SP. For optimization reasons, AI on dedicated servers will "think" less often so that it is less resource-intensive in an attempt to reduce computation and networking when there are a lot of players connected resulting in less lags for everybody. Just whistle one of your tame to follow you on both and you will see that it will take a few seconds to react on the server as opposed to SP where it will follow instantly, etc.

• Volunteer Moderator
13 hours ago, Evanor said:

So you're saying the original game design was that you're meant to be stunned by being attacked but that's too difficult/network intensive to keep up with on a server so they just don't do that this making the game incidentally easier on a server?

No, I'm saying the differences you noticed are likely relied to that (more frequent ticking resulting into more frequent collisions detection, no movement predictions, etc.).

6 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

No, I'm saying the differences you noticed are likely relied to that (more frequent ticking resulting into more frequent collisions detection, no movement predictions, etc.).

That sounds like the same thing to me. In an attempt to optimize server performance they accidentally made playing on a server fundamentally easier than singleplayer.

But even if that explains the stunlock, i don't get why the range a creature can breed is 1/3 The size on singleplayer than a server with no adjustment for either

On 9/16/2020 at 9:09 PM, Evanor said:

These are some pretty big issues i would really love a solution to other than renting a server to play solo at $15 per month. because i cant see myself continuing to play like this, and i was excited to buy the next expansions when i finished the island

I've never looked at how to customize the settings for a local/host game, since I've never played that way, but I assume that many of the config settings that are in the Game.ini and GameUserSettings.ini file can be set on single player just like they are on dedicated server.

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Server_Configuration

Also, you have the option of using mods, which can't be used on Official servers, and there are a bunch of good mods that let you configure your world to be as easy or as hard as you want.

There's no reason to play a local/host game using only Official settings, you have the ability to make the game as easy or hard as you want it to be.

On 9/20/2020 at 10:38 AM, Zapha said:

Which difficulty you have in your singleplayer? Official is roughly equal to 5.0 difficulty.

Yes i have it on override difficulty 5, same as when i rented a server

On 9/20/2020 at 3:26 PM, Pipinghot said:

I've never looked at how to customize the settings for a local/host game, since I've never played that way, but I assume that many of the config settings that are in the Game.ini and GameUserSettings.ini file can be set on single player just like they are on dedicated server.

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Server_Configuration

Also, you have the option of using mods, which can't be used on Official servers, and there are a bunch of good mods that let you configure your world to be as easy or as hard as you want.

There's no reason to play a local/host game using only Official settings, you have the ability to make the game as easy or hard as you want it to be.

Theres no mods/settings to remove the stunlock or to increase breeding range of tames

1 hour ago, Evanor said:

Yes i have it on override difficulty 5, same as when i rented a server

If this is the Difficulty level that shows up at the top of the Single Player settings, anything above 1 will be ignored by the game.

A bit of a history.

Maps have what is known as a map difficulty, there was a time when the Island was a map difficulty of 4 and it was later changed to reflect that of the newer maps. This meant that before that change wild dino's would be a maximum of 120. Now that the map difficulty is 5, we get a max dino of 150.

So how does that work.

Well dinos actually spawn anywhere from 1 to 30, then the map difficulty would then make it higher, so 4 x 30 = 120 and 5 x 30 = 150 and a map difficulty of 10 would make the world spawn level 300 dino's.

In Single Player mode, this difficulty in the first section at the top of the settings, then takes that wild spawn and multiplies it by that value, up to a maximum of 1. So if it is 1, with a map of 5, you will have 150 level dino's spawn. If it is .5 then the level of dinos that will spawn will be 75.

That formula then becomes

level 1-30 x map diff x Offset Difficulty.

I don't believe this calculation has ever changed.

18 minutes ago, CyberAngel67 said:

If this is the Difficulty level that shows up at the top of the Single Player settings, anything above 1 will be ignored by the game.

A bit of a history.

Maps have what is known as a map difficulty, there was a time when the Island was a map difficulty of 4 and it was later changed to reflect that of the newer maps. This meant that before that change wild dino's would be a maximum of 120. Now that the map difficulty is 5, we get a max dino of 150.

So how does that work.

Well dinos actually spawn anywhere from 1 to 30, then the map difficulty would then make it higher, so 4 x 30 = 120 and 5 x 30 = 150 and a map difficulty of 10 would make the world spawn level 300 dino's.

In Single Player mode, this difficulty in the first section at the top of the settings, then takes that wild spawn and multiplies it by that value, up to a maximum of 1. So if it is 1, with a map of 5, you will have 150 level dino's spawn. If it is .5 then the level of dinos that will spawn will be 75.

That formula then becomes

level 1-30 x map diff x Offset Difficulty.

I don't believe this calculation has ever changed.

Yeah i know, you need to put an extra line in the ini of overrideofficialdifficulty which i put to 5 so my dinos are all in increments of 5 and the max level is 150
idk why youre explaining all this though, its unrelated to my issues

3 hours ago, Evanor said:

Yeah i know, you need to put an extra line in the ini of overrideofficialdifficulty which i put to 5 so my dinos are all in increments of 5 and the max level is 150
idk why youre explaining all this though, its unrelated to my issues

5 is the default value any way, I thought you were changing the other value which is a maximum of 1.0

On 9/21/2020 at 3:12 AM, Evanor said:

Theres no mods/settings to remove the stunlock or to increase breeding range of tames

Agreed that you can't increase the breeding range, but you can speed up the breeding times by a lot so that the range doesn't matter any more.

As for the stunlock, that does sound frustrating but I'm thinking that having multiple tames with you that you control with group whistle commands will render the stunlock moot.

When you started the thread you said that you "would really love a solution to other than renting a server to play solo at $15 per month". When playing a Local/Host game you have complete control of the game, whether you use mods or admin commands or config settings there is always a way to solve a game problem without having to spend $15 per month.

Well... if you don't like single player you can always host your own server (if your computer has the resources to do so). No need to rent a server. It's what I do, since I found that after some progression in single player the game got a tendency to crash often. Now, when my client crashed I can log back in on the server without much ado AND it crashes way less frequent than with an "all-in-one" solution.

HTH!

Regards
Eleusius.

18 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

Agreed that you can't increase the breeding range, but you can speed up the breeding times by a lot so that the range doesn't matter any more.

As for the stunlock, that does sound frustrating but I'm thinking that having multiple tames with you that you control with group whistle commands will render the stunlock moot.

When you started the thread you said that you "would really love a solution to other than renting a server to play solo at $15 per month". When playing a Local/Host game you have complete control of the game, whether you use mods or admin commands or config settings there is always a way to solve a game problem without having to spend $15 per month.

Well I clearly don't have complete control if you're suggesting workarounds. 

I do have breeding turned up more to compensate but collecting 20 eggs at once every 15 minutes is a lot different to collecting 4 eggs every 3 minutes like I do now. It's incredibly tedious the way I'm doing it now but it was the only way to make it easier.

As for multiple tames inside an artifact cave on follow, they are far more of a liability than riding. Especially without rider imprint boost, and double especially when they chase something running away and aggro other stuff. This is what I mean by singleplayer incidentally being more difficult

21 hours ago, Evanor said:

Well I clearly don't have complete control if you're suggesting workarounds.

You clearly want this to be a problem no matter how many solutions there are. If you have a problem on an Official server then you're stuck, that's just the way it is. But if you have a problem in a Local/Host game then you have the means available to fix that problem. Yes, it's true that in one sense I'm talking about workarounds, but no matter how you want to frame things the bottom line is that the game is different on dedicated servers vs. Local/host games and therefore you make adjustments to how you play the game in order to accomplish your goals in a solo game.

If you want to nitpick about whether those are solutions or workarounds then go right ahead, but you already have the tools to make this a non-issue, you just have to decide whether you're so entrenched in wanting to play a solo game like an Official server that you're going to cut off your nose to spite your face or whether you're going to be creative and use one of the solutions that are available to you.

I do have breeding turned up more to compensate but collecting 20 eggs at once every 15 minutes is a lot different to collecting 4 eggs every 3 minutes like I do now. It's incredibly tedious the way I'm doing it now but it was the only way to make it easier.

Again, there are mods that make this a moot point, they will collect the eggs for you. Personally, I think there are quite a few activities in ARK that are pointlessly tedious. Manual activities like like collecting eggs & poop are a part of the reason I moved to Unofficial servers to begin with. But if you just really want to force yourself to run around picking up eggs and hate that WildCard won't let you do this the way you want to in Local/Host well then okay, I guess you enjoy pointlessly tedious tasks. If you think it's worth $15/month just to force yourself to manually pick up "20 eggs at once every 15 minutes" or instead of installing a mod that will solve this problem for you, well it's your money spend it how you want.

As for multiple tames inside an artifact cave on follow, they are far more of a liability than riding. Especially without rider imprint boost, and double especially when they chase something running away and aggro other stuff. This is what I mean by singleplayer incidentally being more difficult

It's not more difficult, it's only more difficult when you deliberately avoid solving your own problems.

Again, you began this thread by saying, "would really love a solution to other than renting a server to play solo at $15 per month", but that appears to be untrue as you're deliberately avoiding solutions that are already available to you. Based on your responses what you really want is for WildCard to make changes to the solo game based on your preferences and if that's what you really want then that's what you should have said from the beginning.

You have solutions, use them or don't the choice is yours.

Assuming your system can handle it, you can download the dedicated server from Steam, and you can move your saved games and progress over to the server.

Here's are a couple of links that might help you do this.

https://nodecraft.com/support/games/ark/uploading-your-single-player-world-to-your-private-dedicated-ark-server

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=689712529

9 hours ago, Piist said:

Assuming your system can handle it, you can download the dedicated server from Steam, and you can move your saved games and progress over to the server.

Here's are a couple of links that might help you do this.

https://nodecraft.com/support/games/ark/uploading-your-single-player-world-to-your-private-dedicated-ark-server

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=689712529

Thanks. This is a really good idea among some not so good ideas here

Archived