Matureing times on legacy

wizard03

Holy crap......well I thought it might be easier to try and raise baby yuty females to get the kibble farm fully operational and producing at a reasonable rate, 7 days...….I have to spend 7 days to raise them.

I spent 10 hours yesterday attempting to breed, hatch, and at least get them to juvenile to feed off the trough, and even though I tried so hard to get them to at least get through the night, they died from starvation after I called it uncle and went to bed in real life. I was only asleep for 8 real time hours, but apparently their inventory depleted quite quickly. And ontop of that, they had 120 spoiled meat {do baby's keep meat fresh longer like adults?} which means that you had better be prepared to stay on this game for 12 hours + to ensure they safely make it to the feeding trough, or you got to wait for an evo event with 2x or more maturing rate. =/

One quick question, can you feed the babies cooked meat, or is it raw meat only?

5 minutes ago, wizard03 said:

Holy crap......well I thought it might be easier to try and raise baby yuty females to get the kibble farm fully operational and producing at a reasonable rate, 7 days...….I have to spend 7 days to raise them.

Yeah, breeding and raising animals is painful, and breeding carnivores is more painful than breeding herbivores. If you ever want to have a laugh look at how long it takes for compy's to mature.

The basic guidelines are:

1) Tame low levels for your egg farm.

2) Tame high level for performance or to prepare for breeding.

3) Breed for end-game and boss fights, and sometimes to pass on a really lucky stat to offspring so that you won't cry if you lose the animal with the really good stat.

2 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

Yeah, breeding and raising animals is painful, and breeding arnivores is more painful than breeding herbivores. If you ever want to have a laugh look at how long it takes for compy's to mature. The basic guidelines are:
1) Tame low levels for your egg farm.
2) Tame high level for performance or to prepare for breeding.
3) Breed for end-game and boss fights, and sometimes to pass on a really lucky stat to offspring so that you won't cry if you lose the animal with the really good stat.

Yeah, Im defiantly going with the taming method for eggs.....granted, I wanted a couple high level yutys with the imprinting buff for the ice cave, but good lord, Im not sure if I want it that bad now.....that imprinting buff better be freaking magical to spend 7 days on.....talk about grinding. >.<
I think I will just tame up a couple high levels......run them instead. Ill have to deal with the theri's cause I need a good set of boss fighters, but that's the only set Im going to do...….except maybe argies. They are just too usefull to ignore, but I might do them when I do theri's, kinda a two for one deal

Also, any clue as to if cooked meat will work when hand feeding babies?

5 minutes ago, wizard03 said:

Yeah, Im defiantly going with the taming method for eggs.....granted, I wanted a couple high level yutys with the imprinting buff for the ice cave, but good lord, Im not sure if I want it that bad now.....that imprinting buff better be freaking magical to spend 7 days on.....talk about grinding. >.<
I think I will just tame up a couple high levels......run them instead. Ill have to deal with the theri's cause I need a good set of boss fighters, but that's the only set Im going to do...….except maybe argies. They are just too usefull to ignore, but I might do them when I do theri's, kinda a two for one deal

Also, any clue as to if cooked meat will work when hand feeding babies?

U can feed raw meat, cooked and even jerky to babies.

2 hours ago, wizard03 said:

wish I knew that, all this time I was just feeding raw meat. If that 120 spoiled meat didn't spoil out, there is a chance they might have survived. =/

That's hard to say, carnivores get the more food value from raw meat so they have to eat it less often, but its spoils faster. It's entirely possible they would have eaten all of the meat and still starved because they have to eat more cooked meat to equal a smaller amount of raw meat.

If you're going to be offline for an extended period of time while raising carnivores you want to fill their inventories with raw meat (since it spoiles more slowly in their inventory) and then fill the food troughs with cooked meat. The will eat the cooked meat in the troughs first, because dino's eat the food with the lowest food value first, but that will give you the best combination of a) lots of cooked meat with longer spoil times in the troughs and b) raw meat in their inventory that takes longer to spoil.

If you're raising multiple carnivores at once then your goal is always "too much meat", because turns out that "too much" is actually "just enough". And of course don't forget the cryopods if you're going to be offline too long, as Aylana said.

If I remember correctly from your other posts, you're on an Official server so you only have vanilla-ARK options for your breeding. But if you're on an Unofficial server or playing a Local/Host game on your PC, there are some greats mods that help with breeding & raising animals.

l
If you're going to be offline for an extended period of time while raising carnivores you want to fill their inventories with raw meat (since it spoiles more slowly in their inventory) and then fill the food troughs with cooked meat. The will eat the cooked meat in the troughs first, because dino's eat the food with the lowest food value first, but that will give you the best combination of a) lots of cooked meat with longer spoil times in the troughs and b) raw meat in their inventory that takes longer to spoil.

Isn't the spoil timer multiplier the same, both are 4x in dinos and in regular troughs?

Archived