did anyone else find the crystal isles, unnecessary

AngryWyVern

upon my first observation they can't help but feel they could have been other ark ideas that could be been better explored, the extra wyvern variants I also found pretty ,unnecessary and somewhat nonsensical (mainly the blood wyvern I mean at least the others made sense), and I hate to kill the hype but the wyvern queen was underwhelming, I know they haven't fully realised everything but she just didn't seem like all that, idk maybe they should have made her bigger

while im certainly game for the environment and its impressive structures, personally I think a "hell" map would be cooler to make

• Volunteer Moderator
54 minutes ago, AngryWyVern said:

upon my first observation they can't help but feel they could have been other ark ideas that could be been better explored, the extra wyvern variants I also found pretty ,unnecessary and somewhat nonsensical (mainly the blood wyvern I mean at least the others made sense), and I hate to kill the hype but the wyvern queen was underwhelming, I know they haven't fully realised everything but she just didn't seem like all that, idk maybe they should have made her bigger

while im certainly game for the environment and its impressive structures, personally I think a "hell" map would be cooler to make

I can't say I agree.  I played the map when it was still an work-in-progress mod, and always enjoyed it. Nice to see it get finished and optimized a bit; though I still have turn my GPU fan up a bit for this map.  I find the map visually stunning, day or night.  I really like the distinct regions, including the Eldritch; and it is super creepy with the right mod(s).

I like the wyvern variants, and their way of being tamed.  And the blood wyverns sucking the life out of you seems to make a lot of sense to me; almost like they are the vampires of the wyvern family.

Only complaints I have about it is I would like a TLC on the caves(or more caves to explore) and the ocean (lost of potential there); maybe even a new ocean boss.  And someone turn down that hum in Apotheosis. 

I know some will complain about content that was removed, usually wrapped in an insult or conspiracy (but usually without facts), but some of that was necessary to bring it to console.  If you are playing on solo or unofficial, you can bring that back, and more.

As for a "hell" map, you got some of that with Extinction and Genesis; and surprise, surprise, surprise...people complained.  :D

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose it's really dependent on what you as a player want out of the map and what game mode your playing it in.  For my wife and I we prefer PvE and we initially wanted to stay on Ragnarok but we had too many people crashing the server (not gonna say who), too much griefing, and entirely too much lag. When Crystal Isles came out we had been on Valguero and Genesis and the map had everything we wanted plus the Tropeos and Breedable wyverns. So, we packed up 3 different bases and consolidated to Crystal Isles.  Granted, this map really is a breeding map for the most part, it's got plenty of places to build and breed dinos, offers up good water sources, great places to farm meat, poly, honey, and there are some really good and safe places where you don't have to worry too much about those who wish to kite Titanosaurs or Heirs to your base.   

Ultimately for us, it was about the landscape and the above mentioned, is it perfect? Nope. Will any map be? Nope. But it's home and we're pleasantly happy and settled there. 

On 9/13/2020 at 12:22 AM, AngryWyVern said:

It's the most unexciting map from all the maps since Aberration. Meat runs are tedious long. The ocean is boring. The caves are empty. The spawns too low (ovis, rexes, etc.).

Literally everything good about Valguero, Aberration and Genesis is missing from this map. I spent so much time just scouting for things, where on Valguero and Genesis I was rather busy making real steps.

Crystal Isles has very little end game potential. That is a problem relative to even maps like The Center. There are no interesting or challenging end game artifact caves. Only 1 boss, too. So, there's really not much to do. The map strikes me as one you should cluster with other maps and use as a breeding area or to get specific things and then go back home.  Factoring in low spawns, it makes it even hard to tame stuff there. 

I have always disliked the Center relatively speaking, but I actually think the Center is a better map.  Just more to do. 

I have mixed feelings with this map. 

There are not a lot of spawns when you do the classic meat run, but if you know the correct places where lot of dinos spawn you can farm a lot of meat in a moment just traveling fast with skiff.

Metal farming is great and stone is too, with those red rocks you can fill a dedicated in no time. Same with org polymer. I think it leaves abe obsolete in this.

There is not much life in the ocean but at the same time there is a great amount of water alphas which makes very easy to level chibis.

The boss I think its missing some map exclusive tekgram. It would incentivate people to go do it.

The artifact are so easy to get. Some cave would have been nice.

The snow zone and redwood I think if it doesnt exist nobody will care. At least in my server they are almost empty of players.

Honestly, the modded Crystal Isles was so much better. Official CI is missing the Crystal Drakes, Crystal Griffins, and Liquified Dinos. Don't know why they bothered removing Crystal Griffins in favor of normal Griffins. 

I love the Crystal Wyverns and Tropeognathus, but I really do feel that the map lost a lot of flavor without its other crystal inhabitants. The low dino count and empty ocean really don't help either. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 9/12/2020 at 5:22 PM, AngryWyVern said:

"Different strokes for different folks," essentially...

It's a shame the map didn't suit your tastes.  I've played on the map 3 years ago when it was still a mod map, and I was ecstatic when the map was released as an official DLC map.

Archived