tameing times on legacy

wizard03

tameing times on legacy

So I attempted to tame a lvl 115 theri yesterday on a legacy server with mejo's good lord, 5 hours...….I waited to starve it out before hitting it with the berries but dang did it take forever and a half.

I do have an egg farm going, its small, only 5 females and a male, with two oviraptors giving everyone the egg boost, but it only seems to work whenever Im inside the base itself.....like it quits working anytime I leave.....no feces or eggs unless I just sit around and wait...…
Any advice on getting more eggs other than obviousely more yutys? Im to the point now where kibble is a must have.

3 hours ago, wizard03 said:

So I attempted to tame a lvl 115 theri yesterday on a legacy server with mejo's good lord, 5 hours...….I waited to starve it out before hitting it with the berries but dang did it take forever and a half.

Yeah, theri's are a very slow tame, but they're also pretty darned powerful once you have them. At this point in the game, with all of the new stuff they've added, I think they should change the taming time for theri's. Having said that, it's basically a rex that you can keep alive with berries and that is also a very good harvester, so maybe the taming time still makes sense. Also, every good animal in the game really needs kibble if you want to be efficient in how you use your time. You can either spend hours babysitting tames or you can spend time building up kibble so that the taming process is safer, faster and you get more levels during the taming.

Fortunately the kibble tree is much more streamlined than it used to be. You had to tame a whole bunch of species just to get to the next species in the chain, working your way up the kibble tree was major time sink.

I do have an egg farm going, its small, only 5 females and a male, with two oviraptors giving everyone the egg boost, but it only seems to work whenever Im inside the base itself.....like it quits working anytime I leave.....no feces or eggs unless I just sit around and wait...…

Yes, that's true, it's how the game works. Animals only drop eggs and feces when they are rezzed in because a player is nearby. It could be you, it could be a tribe mate, it could even be a stranger that is passing by your base. But if there aren't any players nearby then egg laying and pooping are suspended.

Any advice on getting more eggs other than obviousely more yutys? Im to the point now where kibble is a must have.

For each level of kibble, the only real answer is to get as many egg layers as you have room for in your base (along with your oviraptor and of course one male of each species). Egg farms have been a big part of the game since the beginning and being able to progress up the kibble tree is a big part of making progress in the game.

12 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

I would tame rexes before zinos for eggs, they drop the same tier egg and rexes are a much easier tame, tame yourself like 10 hens and a rooster.

well they do not make an egg for exceptional kibble.....If Im going to make kibble, I might as well make kibble that all species will accept, hence the yuty's

6 hours ago, Thyme said:

Get some deinonychus and breed them whenever you need to make kibble, fertilized eggs work for making kibble. A big ramp setup can let you breed 1 male with dozens of females at once.

Yeah, Iv gotten the art of kibble farming down pat already. However Im both trying to stay small scale and still trying to get things going for boss fights and perhaps ascention, but with this slowing me down, I may have to expand, or get inventive 

12 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

Yes, that's true, it's how the game works. Animals only drop eggs and feces when they are rezzed in because a player is nearby. It could be you, it could be a tribe mate, it could even be a stranger that is passing by your base. But if there aren't any players nearby then egg laying and pooping are suspended.

Yeah, I figured that, and now Im to the point of attempting to exploit that little oversight. Im thinking of building some extra heavy duty metal structures and plopping it down near the beach with the other players randomly running around nearby. Nothing too crazy big, but enough to fully hide the yuties inside. Hopefully with everyone running around to render them and the eggs they lay in, all I have to do is visit once every half hour, scoop the eggs up, fridge em, and at the end of the day, bring them home.

1 hour ago, wizard03 said:

well they do not make an egg for exceptional kibble.....If Im going to make kibble, I might as well make kibble that all species will accept, hence the yuty's

My bad I didnt see you mention the Yutis and thought you had zinos.  However, I have a bunch of hen rexes and a rooster and then I can use just the yellow kibble for everything that doesnt take the extraordinary kibble, would probably save you some effort to do that. I only have about 7 yutis and I have like 250 kibble cause I use the exceptional for everything that doesnt require extraordinary.

1 hour ago, Cowgirl said:

My bad I didnt see you mention the Yutis and thought you had zinos.  However, I have a bunch of hen rexes and a rooster and then I can use just the yellow kibble for everything that doesnt take the extraordinary kibble, would probably save you some effort to do that. I only have about 7 yutis and I have like 250 kibble cause I use the exceptional for everything that doesnt require extraordinary.

My thought was to simplify everything and just go with exceptional.....that and I find yuty taming to be a bit less of a hassle due to the snow biome being easier to track all the wild life.....Yeah wolves and sabers kinda mess things up a bit, but at least you don't have to worry about nearly invisible bugs and compies to harass your taming process. That and prime meat is just one penguin run away. Literally less than 5 minutes I can have 20+ prime meat to tame a yuty up with. I spose its all down to preference however.

However its the standing around and being bored while the eggs are produced that's kinda killing me right now. =/ I figure if I put a small egg laying base where people are cruising around and helping my yutys to render eggs in however, maybe Ill be able to get more eggs to make kibbe with, and all I will have to do is hop over once every half an hour and poof, free eggs.

8 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Yeah, I figured that, and now Im to the point of attempting to exploit that little oversight.

It's not an oversight, it's a deliberate design choice, for two reasons.

The more active a player is the more eggs/poop they will get. People who just log on once a week to prevent their base from decaying will get fewer eggs/poop resources than players who log in more often. Likewise, people play for longer amounts of time per day will get more eggs/poop than people who play for less time per day.

It's also about conserving server resources. There's no point in having the game calculate eggs/poop for players who aren't logged in or aren't anywhere near their base just to have those eggs/poop decay and disappear anyway. This is also how the game works for wild animals, spawn points are more active when players are nearby. This allows the game to focus server resources on the parts of the map that actually matter, based on where people are currently located as they play. Even powerful servers have limitations, computers are not infinite, if the game was calculating eggs/poop for every location on the map at all times 24x7 it would be a waste of computing resources that would impact game performance where players are located.

My thought was to simplify everything and just go with exceptional.....that and I find yuty taming to be a bit less of a hassle due to the snow biome being easier to track all the wild life

U got the name wrong, u meant extraordinary kibble right, since from yutys?

On 9/12/2020 at 11:16 PM, wizard03 said:

My thought was to simplify everything and just go with exceptional.....that and I find yuty taming to be a bit less of a hassle due to the snow biome being easier to track all the wild life.....Yeah wolves and sabers kinda mess things up a bit, but at least you don't have to worry about nearly invisible bugs and compies to harass your taming process. That and prime meat is just one penguin run away. Literally less than 5 minutes I can have 20+ prime meat to tame a yuty up with. I spose its all down to preference however.

However its the standing around and being bored while the eggs are produced that's kinda killing me right now. =/ I figure if I put a small egg laying base where people are cruising around and helping my yutys to render eggs in however, maybe Ill be able to get more eggs to make kibbe with, and all I will have to do is hop over once every half an hour and poof, free eggs.

I totally agree that it would simplify everything if you could get a good store of yuti kibble but the thing is yutis take A LONG time to tame, you might be better off just raising a bunch of females you breed TBH if you still want to go the yuti route. I have noticed that dinos tend to be more eggy when they are eating, so like on mass feeding days. Another thing I did is I have my oviraptor mate boosted. I don't know if that helps at all but I did it anyway. 

but the thing is yutis take A LONG time to tame, you might be better off just raising a bunch of females you breed TBH if you still want to go the yuti route.

Low lvls tame fast and depending on the map like val or rag easy to get mutton to tame them faster. Then just put all their lvls into food so they dont starve that fast after tamed.

On 9/13/2020 at 8:30 AM, Pipinghot said:

It's also about conserving server resources. 

ahh, fair enough. While I am aware that servers are not infinite, I would have figured that if a player keeps popping up once every half hour, the game would do a quick calculation of the odds of if a yuty dropped an egg, and then assign a random timer to that egg. Guess not

12 hours ago, Castlerock said:

U got the name wrong, u meant extraordinary kibble right, since from yutys?

My bad, yeah I was tired and was trying to juggle kibbles XD

12 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

I totally agree that it would simplify everything if you could get a good store of yuti kibble but the thing is yutis take A LONG time to tame, you might be better off just raising a bunch of females you breed TBH if you still want to go the yuti route. I have noticed that dinos tend to be more eggy when they are eating, so like on mass feeding days. Another thing I did is I have my oviraptor mate boosted. I don't know if that helps at all but I did it anyway. 

I do have a mate boosted oviraptor set up. And I was right there with you on the breeding some hens for some more eggs until yesterday. x.x Ooooooh boy, there is going to be a huge post somewhere else to discuss the maturity rates of a yuty…..Im looking at spending the next 7 days to fully raise a group of yuty females….yeah, 7 days. Good news Im now stuck at the base to take care of them, and right now my fingers are crossed that they didn't starve to death after I went to bed. =/

6 hours ago, Kizmiaz said:

you want some fertilized Deinonychus eggs ?  i could spare some for sure. hatch them and raise the critters to lay eggs. once you started on that you may wish you never did ;)

let me know and we can meet in-game

Im deffinantly interested. I will have to figure out my server and all that, but at the rate Im going, might as well get a couple of those guys......not interested in any high levels or anything.....A simple saddle might help me move them around.
Anything you want in trade? Keep in mind, Im a one man band and just started "officially" :P

5 hours ago, wizard03 said:

[ . . . }

Im deffinantly interested. I will have to figure out my server and all that, but at the rate Im going, might as well get a couple of those guys......not interested in any high levels or anything.....A simple saddle might help me move them around.
Anything you want in trade? Keep in mind, Im a one man band and just started "officially" :P

no, nothing i want in return. i got a few of them and they produce plenty of eggs. i'd just would ask you to come pick them up.

6 hours ago, wizard03 said:

ahh, fair enough. While I am aware that servers are not infinite, I would have figured that if a pl my fingers are crossed that they didn't starve to death after I went to bed. =/

Yea they're not super easy to raise but it would probably be easier to raise a group than to go out and tame the same number 1 by 1. Also if your babies did starve you can pod them overnight in case you didnt know. Another trick is to put cooked meat, jerky or kibble (something cheap like dodo) to hold them for a while if need be but that of course has its limits too.

Archived