There's like 20 servers per actual player

Jay89

I used to think unofficial is the way to go because you get non-existant customer service and toxicity on official. I was playing on three different servers. One was full on pvp, pne was pvp woth orp and one was pve. I eventually became bored on all three because of one reason: dwindling population. No one to interact with. Might aswell play sinple player. So I ended up returning to official pvp orp clusters and there's always folks to chat with.

The problem is that everyone's mom wants their own server and we end up having, as you described, 20 servers per player. 

On 9/7/2020 at 3:14 PM, Jay89 said:

There's like 20 servers per actual player

Can't the unofficial clusters get together and make a massive cluster it's like 20 servers per players atm and 99% have zero players all the time

Do you understand that Unofficial servers are privately owned? How in the world do you imagine that bunches of server admins who don't know each other and don't work for WildCard would magically work together as a team to create a massive cluster.

If you think that's possible then you don't understand people very well, there would be ten times as many shenanigans on that kind of setup as there ever are on the Official servers. It would a complete nightmare for everyone involved, players and admins alike, much worse than the Officials are.

15 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

Do you understand that Unofficial servers are privately owned? How in the world do you imagine that bunches of server admins who don't know each other and don't work for WildCard would magically work together as a team to create a massive cluster.

If you think that's possible then you don't understand people very well, there would be ten times as many shenanigans on that kind of setup as there ever are on the Official servers. It would a complete nightmare for everyone involved, players and admins alike, much worse than the Officials are.

The admins wouldn't necessarily have to "work together". Imagine some sort of game feature built in, that the admins would just select from lists to link their servers into unofficial clusters. Or a simple toggle for them to opt in or out of one cluster... but yea that would be insane. As I understand it each unoffical server has its own settings, like you'd be able to start your character on one of those 10x boosted servers and get super built up then move to a harder one with an unfair advantage over the people who started there. Or since each server has its own admin with their own coc, or not.. some of them probably use prompt to spawn stuff in, so..... H'YAAA H'YAAA KITTIES GO GO GOOOOO!!!!

3 minutes ago, sjskdjkfa said:

The admins wouldn't necessarily have to "work together". Imagine some sort of game feature built in, that the admins would just select from lists to link their servers into unofficial clusters. Or a simple toggle for them to opt in or out of one cluster... but yea that would be insane. As I understand it each unoffical server has its own settings, like you'd be able to start your character on one of those 10x boosted servers and get super built up then move to a harder one with an unfair advantage over the people who started there. Or since each server has its own admin with their own coc, or not.. some of them probably use prompt to spawn stuff in, so..... H'YAAA H'YAAA KITTIES GO GO GOOOOO!!!!

I run my own cluster of Unofficial (private) servers and I guarantee that yes, the admins would absolutely have to work together and to imagine otherwise is nothing more than wishful thinking. Even if the admins agreed to all run identical settings on all of their servers there would still be issues (sometimes caused by players, and sometimes caused by game mechanics) that would require admins to work together to solve problems, it's would be inevitable.

The term is content Locust, although that is considered derogatory. It is an apt description of the phenomenon. These days the more popular the game, the more it serves the action children demographic. And those Gamers tend to flit from game to game, dropping a few dozen hours at most. It's typically the Deep RPG and older gamer crowd where populations have staying power.

5 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

I run my own cluster of Unofficial (private) servers and I guarantee that yes, the admins would absolutely have to work together and to imagine otherwise is nothing more than wishful thinking. Even if the admins agreed to all run identical settings on all of their servers there would still be issues (sometimes caused by players, and sometimes caused by game mechanics) that would require admins to work together to solve problems, it's would be inevitable.

The probably would never work together. They probably would not solve problems. My point was it would be chaos. All I mean by they don't need to work together is in theory you can make as big of an unofficial cluster as you want.

3 minutes ago, sjskdjkfa said:

The probably would never work together. They probably would not solve problems. My point was it would be chaos. All I mean by they don't need to work together is in theory you can make as big of an unofficial cluster as you want.

Again, even having chaos would still require server admins to work together to solve problems. I don't want you to feel like I'm being unkind or trying to pick on you when I say this, it's obvious that you don't have any experience with server administration, either a game server or any other kind. It wouldn't even be possible to achieve chaos without server admins working together.

And beyond that, if they "probably would not solve problems" then the entire thing would be a waste of time. If players want to play in a massive cluster where no one solves their problems we already have the Official servers. There would never be any point in simply reproducing all of the worse parts of the Official servers without making anything better, it would be a terrible experience for players (and for the admins).

4 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

Again, even having chaos would still require server admins to work together to solve problems. I don't want you to feel like I'm being unkind or trying to pick on you when I say this, it's obvious that you don't have any experience with server administration, either a game server or any other kind. It wouldn't even be possible to achieve chaos without server admins working together.

And beyond that, if they "probably would not solve problems" then the entire thing would be a waste of time. If players want to play in a massive cluster where no one solves their problems we already have the Official servers. There would never be any point in simply reproducing all of the worse parts of the Official servers without making anything better, it would be a terrible experience for players (and for the admins).

I'm not sure if we are failing to communicate. But if I understand you then I agree in this sense - you're probably right, there wouldn't even be chaos because the whole thing would rather quickly grind to a halt as all the problems cause all the players to quit on day one. Or are you saying that because there is some deeper networking issue, settings and such that would prevent simple in or out decisions?

14 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

Not to mention that no one running 20 private private servers at their own expense is going to keep them going if they aren't being used. People don't generally enjoy paying money for nothing.  

We rent our private servers, and we scale our servers to the demand. Lots of interest and demand for different maps = add a server. Fewer people playing and less interest in running multiple maps simultaneously = minus a server. 

Archived