Should Tapejara's weight carry be increased to compete with Argentavis?

Jemcrystal

Suggestion

Argies are easy to catch compared to Tapes.  Tapes are slower.  Tapes are a pain to learn how to manuever.  But event colored Tapes are beautiful put me in mind of giant butterflies.  I love Tapes but find no reason to go catch or use.  Argies so much better.  

Quetzal's carry inventory and platform is awesome.  But Q is to hard to catch.  I still have not caught one and I have played ark for two years.  Save the "it's easy" rebuffs plz I have heard all of them and every strategy imaginable.  And no you are wrong, they are hard to catch.  Same with Tropeognathus.  Stupidly annoying extra effort to catch. 

That leaves Argy and Tape as ease to acquire fly carry.

I think Tape's weight should double.  Reason it's insanely easy to find a wild 150 argentavis who will follow you anywhere.  But in two years of game play I have yet to find a Tapejara over level 35.  Then I have to chance hope I'm ghillied up with bola on hand.  Tapes are not harder to catch than argies.  But they are luck based where argy is sure bet.  

So low level Tapes should out shine argies, parasaurs, quetzals, anklos, and doeds in weight carry.  I think this would be an exciting game play change.  Bring an old bird back into high standing.  This is also a qol.  Honestly the base moving and mining grind in this game is pain.  Hauling everywhere trying to build traps.  We need an even bigger break from load carry tedium.

What ya think?

2 replies to this server topic

3 hours ago, Jemcrystal said:

No, they fulfill a unique role. Tapejara's are fundamentally a tribe bird, they aren't the best for single players. To get the best use out of them you need two people, it's the extra seat that makes them the most useful. If you give them enough weight capacity to compete with the argy then suddenly the argy becomes unimportant.

Pteras - The scout & fighter plane.   Fast bird, doesn't carry much weight, capable of fighting while flying if needed by using the spin attack. Good for carrying small animals to taming traps.

Argy - The workhorse & transporter.   Primary transport and weight carrying bird, able to carry lots of different animals to taming pens, and able to kill lots of things by picking them up or hovering.

Tape - Fast & two-seater.   Allows the passenger fight, or tranq targets for taming. At higher levels they also carry enough weight that two people in combat gear can be transported to a location to tame/fight stuff. Or for one person you can carry a fairly large amount of weight and still travel to a new location quickly.

Argies are easy to catch compared to Tapes.

Tapes are not harder to catch than argies.

Well which is it, make up your mind. ;)

There's no doubt, tapes are harder to catch/tame, I'm not sure why you contradicted yourself here. As you pointed out later in your post, you can basically guarantee that you can catch/tame any argy because you can kit them. Tape's on the other hand scare easily and take more luck to find & tame.

Tapes are a pain to learn how to manuever.

I disagree, but different people find different things easy. I'll bet you that if dedicate yourself to flying only a tape for about a week that they'll suddenly start feeling easy. The main problem with flying them is that people fly a bunch of other flyers 99% of the time, then jump on a tape and their fingers get confused.

I love Tapes but find no reason to go catch or use.  Argies so much better.

You're underestimating tapes, they're pretty useful once you put a few levels on them and get used to flying them, you just need to use your imagination more.

Just one example, on various servers I've kept a tape loaded up with the materials and supplies to make a 4x4 taming pen. Then, no matter where I find a good animal on the map the tape can get to that location quickly. It carries more than a ptera and it's faster than an argy.

Quetzal's carry inventory and platform is awesome.  But Q is to hard to catch.  I still have not caught one and I have played ark for two years.  Save the "it's easy" rebuffs plz I have heard all of them and every strategy imaginable.  And no you are wrong, they are hard to catch.

Just as an aside, I understand your frustration. Here's how you get quetzal's:

1) Find the lowest level quetzal you can find. Make sure you have a bunch of spike walls with you.

2) Follow it until you can shoot it.

3) Follow it some more until it calms down and gets near another place where you can shoot it.

4) Keep doing this until you knock it out. It takes time and patience, but the lower level the quetzal the easier it will be for you. On most servers my first quetzal is a Lvl 20.

5) Cross your fingers and hope that it falls in a location that will let you land and put up your spike walls before something attacks. Most of the quetzals I knock down get killed by landing in the water and drowning or getting killed by some annoying, random dino like dilophosaurs. This is why you start with the lowest level quetzal you can find, it's normal to knock down 3 or 4 of them before one finally lives long enough to put down your spike wall and tame it.

6) Once you have your first quetzal, the world is yours. You can find youtube videos that will show you how to make a quetzal trap and then use your first quetzal to trap and tame as many of them as you want. All it takes is one, and then you're in business.

It's not an easy process, it takes patience and luck, but I guarantee that if you persist and don't give up when they fall to the ground and get killed, you can definitely do it.

So low level Tapes should out shine argies, parasaurs, quetzals, anklos, and doeds in weight carry.

No. The value of tape's in their unique role, they shouldn't be turned into something else.

Bring an old bird back into high standing.

They're already in high standing, you just don't fully understand how to take advantage of them.

Honestly the base moving and mining grind in this game is pain.  Hauling everywhere trying to build traps.  We need an even bigger break from load carry tedium.

If you make a squad of 3-5 argy's you can pretty much go anywhere and do anything on any map. Argy's are easy to find, easy to tame, carry a lot of weight, have lots of HP and are good at fighting. If you're having a problem with not being able to carry enough stuff around the maps then you need to learn how to use argy's better.

Archived