WARNING Before You Transfer

Zuus
Message added by invincibleqc,

If you lost your character on an official cluster, please refer to: My character was erased!

If you wish to report an official server outage, or cluster issues please fill the following form: ARK Official Server Outage Report

Thanks!

I lost my character while transferring from one server to another.  This is the 2nd time this has happened.  The first time when I filed a ticket, the appointment for the GM to fix the issue was almost 2 months after it happened.  During that time I lost my base and all tames, equipment, etc.  The GM said they could not help with base or animals except to imprint new tames.  I think this is complete garbage.  If they have the capability as ones in an non-official server, they will have the ability to do this.   Anyways, once again, during transfer the other day, it happened again when transferring to another server, I had a timed out error and booted me back to the main page.  After waiting a few minutes, went to both the destination server and tried to download character but nothing there.  Also went to the map I was on when I went to transfer and nothing there.  I submitted a ticket yesterday but still no reply.   WTH!!!!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About a two month wait to get GM help for me.

Lucky I had a friend in my tribe, we podded most of the dinos, still lost about 30. Talked them into resetting my base too, even though they dont play ark.

This bug has been around since transfer started, cant remember when SE came out but I think that was when transfer started.

Just cant believe, no effort to fix it.

This really took all the fun out of the game.

2 hours ago, Zuus said:

Just cant believe, no effort to fix it.

This really took all the fun out of the game.

I am in the software engineering business so my intuitions tell me that Ark is an insanely complex game with a monsterous code base.  I understand that often development teams might change over the years and they might not have the right employees to fix it. 

What shocks me is that they have known about the problem for years and never put in a means of helping players fully restore their characters & ownerships: that kind of backup system would likely not be that difficult to do.  It might have just become a lower priority, even though many players are losing years worth of progress.

I had transfer out my char form server A (Scorched Earth) to server B (Genesis), but when I try to transfer my char back to server A through a tek transmitter, I cannot find server A on the list, I use search and none are the server I want.

I go back to game main menu, and server A does show up on there, in my favorite list, I also tried to get in there and successfully I enter the server, but once I go back to my char and search for it on the transmitter, it is just not there?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2020 at 8:28 PM, tokinterror said:

We should be able to clone characters with this bug i know a few players do have cloned chars from buggy transfers

This sounds like a step forward, Ive heard about this before, the buggy clone. I believe its been patched out because people always take advantage of bugs.

On the other hand since they ask for your implant as proof, maybe the implant can be placed into a "cloning machine" and used to restore your char. You can save your implants and place them in storage, if you die in game, you get a new one automatically.

Even if you have to go to a special map, in this map you would store an implant for cloning, only thing it would require a visit after a major event to update the implant (like a boss fight), it could be a simple way of restoring a character after the transfer bug without involving GM help.

This could be a simple way to save character implants for cloning since it doesn't look like Wildcard plans to rewrite coding for the transfer bug, they should have fixed that years ago when SE came out.

Remember, save your implant, and always take pictures of it after boss fights.

tooltip.jpg

On 10/7/2020 at 5:47 PM, maxplanck58 said:

I am in the software engineering business so my intuitions tell me that Ark is an insanely complex game with a monsterous code base.  I understand that often development teams might change over the years and they might not have the right employees to fix it. 

What shocks me is that they have known about the problem for years and never put in a means of helping players fully restore their characters & ownerships: that kind of backup system would likely not be that difficult to do.  It might have just become a lower priority, even though many players are losing years worth of progress.

The majority of the game is the Unreal Engine, which has large community support. I do believe Ark was pieced together from many artists and made into the game it is now, everything rocks, trees, dinos and maps all made by different people and placed in the stew that is Ark.

Obviously the transfer bug was added at a later date to make it possible for new maps and expansions, this needs a complete overhaul or some kind of safety system that doesn't require GM help.

This is just like the games new anti-mesh system, you cant have a wyvern flap its wings and trigger a kill volume from clipping into the map, someone needs to sit down with devs and have a talk about what there doing.

I still stand by what I said when Ark came out 5 years ago "This game plays better in beta than most games Ive played not in beta" This is not the case now, the game should be in beta now and back when the game first came out level 50 max should be the release, it is a backwards game and has been going that way for at least 3+ years.

After two months of leading me on, this is the response for an ACTIVE GAME KILLING BUG that effects everyone playing Ark.

I got news for Wildcard, the server I am on says Official Server in the server name. Dont bother changing the name Wildcard, I already took a screenshot.

"Due to the chaotic nature of Legacy and Hardcore modes, we here at Customer Support can only assist with issues on official servers."

Legacy servers that run the exact same patches and software.

I implore anyone with problems due to this game stopping tranfer bug  to flood the support ticket system of Wildcard no matter what server they are on.  A bug that has been around at least as long as the SE expansion.

Bad programming is no excuse for companies to opt out of support if they are charging people money, either appoint volunteer Legacy GM's for this bug or delete Legacy.

There is a large player base on Official legacy servers, the key word here in the server name is official.

I paid the same as everyone else for the game, I can almost understand that wildcard wants to ignore almost half the population of their servers, they cant even handle all the problems of what they call regular servers.

This game breaking bug has been around for years and because of that, they should help everyone on the wildcard servers, policy is no excuse in this case.

As far as tricks to get a character back, I tried them all, even going to all servers that claimed I had a character on it.

If they dont want to help people on there legacy servers, then add volunteer GM's to help people, at least with this bug, sad part, I bet Legacy would have better, faster support than the regular servers.

I believe wildcard knew they would have trouble because of all the active problems left unchecked, the reason they didnt wipe all the servers, figuring half would stay behind and lighten there load.

official1.jpg

On 10/25/2020 at 5:51 PM, caleb68 said:

Tip -

any time your given the character creation screen, click on the image of the character, then press ESC, and exit to main menu.  After exiting to the main menu - join the server you were transfering FROM not TO,  1/2 the time your character will still be back on the original server.   If your character does not show there and it gives the character creation screen check download, if not in it, again press ESC, then exit to the main menu, Rejoin the server you were transfering to,  Sometimes at this point it your character will be present and you can spawn it.  If not, refer to others here having issues. 

I've avoided character loss many times following these simple steps.  

You forgot to click your heels three times and jump through a hoop, everyone that posted here for this bug tried these  tricks with no results, read through the post next time.

On 10/27/2020 at 9:20 AM, Zuus said:

You forgot to click your heels three times and jump through a hoop, everyone that posted here for this bug tried these  tricks with no results, read through the post next time.

not "everyone" hense why i shared my experience with it.   I've lost characters as well.  And did get one restored as I was able to show verification screenshots of everything.  but yeah, I get the frustration when it doesn't work for people.  Is why i never transfer my main character anymore.

Archived