Character Lost - Mega Thread

12 hours ago, slejo said:

Lost character - HOW IT HAPPEN

I was travelling from Aberration (from 223) to Extinction (NA 500). When you travel between servers your data is saved into destination server (NA 500) and deleted in source server (Abe 223).

AND

I have been thrown into NA 500.. after one ot two minutes there was server crash and rollback so.. data of NA 500 was loaded from last backup save... from the time when my character wasnt there yet...

Finally after restart server from backup, there wasn't my character at NA 500 and Abe 223... no character, no gears, no equipped 2 rock drakes..

Happened to me too recently Traveing from Ab to Center. Strange thing is the server I was transferring to didnt rollback, I had friends playing on it uninterrupted.

Granted stuff like this doesnt happen as much as before, but still, given the fact that DLC's are still coming out and more and more people are transferring characters to them, I would have hoped Wildcard would have nailed this issue down by now. Especially when people can have a single character transferring over to 6 different ARK maps and can only unlock certain boss engrams over certain ones.

Lets not get started on imprinted dinos for boss fights though.... thats a whole other can of worms...

I dont know what the legalities for Alt-Accounts are, but I can certainly see the appeal of them if stuff gets lost in transit.

In short, it shouldnt happen, but it does happen. If Wildcard want people to continue to spend money on DLC's to keep the game going, they are going to have to get safeguards in place. Its not before time.

8 hours ago, Aylana314159 said:

Back when I ran an unofficial community, I kept backups of character save files. I would assume that good unofficial admins do this as well.

Official servers do have character backup files but the problem is that they would need to shut down the server for restoring the character to previous data. And that would cause a loot of disruption on services. One way could be to do that once a week but would need manpower to do it depending on how many characters were lost.

just lost my main 2 days ago transferring from ext EU 992 to ext OC 1011. I was moving off server because tribe owner had quit. I had just finished crafting a bunch of building items (most of it tek) and grabbed my last 2 cryofridges of dinos to move to the new base i had started building a couple days before. i hit the join session button and as i was loading in Ext, up pops a nasty lil error 007 200 message. There went my main and dinos poof up in smoke. Dino and items easy enough can be replaced. My character with lvls and boss fight completed is a lil more time consuming. Especially with my imprinted dinos up in ark heaven...lol. With the event coming up this week, i cant see any GMs sorting me out in time. I get it, thats ark. Losing dinos and characters is nothing new, but it really does suck when it does happen. It shouldnt have to be like that.

Edited by KIAMAIA
grammer correction

2 hours ago, Luewen said:

Official servers do have character backup files but the problem is that they would need to shut down the server for restoring the character to previous data. And that would cause a loot of disruption on services. One way could be to do that once a week but would need manpower to do it depending on how many characters were lost.

actually your incorrect on this, character data can be reinstalled on the server while its running as long as the player isn't active on that server.  The character data isn't accessed until the player is actually on the server.

21 hours ago, caleb68 said:

actually your incorrect on this, character data can be reinstalled on the server while its running as long as the player isn't active on that server.  The character data isn't accessed until the player is actually on the server.

Sure if you are running private server. You sure it can be done on official cluster? 

16 minutes ago, Luewen said:

Sure if you are running private server. You sure it can be done on official cluster? 

yes they could do it on official clusters as well, the only time that your character is in a place that would require a restart would be when its uploaded to the actual obelisk data.  However if the character is lost from the obelisk transfer, that would mean they would be restoring the previous character file on the server you transferred from, as there was no backup data from when you arrived at the obelisk, sense character data isn't saved till the map is saved.  Cluster servers only work different for the data that is stored inside the obelisk.

• 2 weeks later...

Character restore after rollback? Why NOT the same character?

I have lost my character due to rollback. With inventory i have many stuff included color experimental eggs... ALL was wost after server crash and rollback.

I have sent ticket and after 6 days i there was meeting with GM that gave me levels and imprinted me dinos.

BUT: Why the hell i didnt get full set of engrams , full implant, ascension after TEK cave? I have just received level 105 or previous 120.

the reason for deleting the character was not my fault. It's the fault of a poor backup management system - it's the fault of the server software, not to mention the stability of the server system. Why, after such a loss, I have additional degradation. So much documentation and tough process of scheduling and arranging, to be on time is required for that ..

After all, my erased character was somewhere in the previous copy of the previous server. Is it so difficult for developers to make a secure system, and when it fails - give back exactly what has been lost.. not degraded replica?

• Haha 1

They will not restore any ones character past 105, they can not add the ascension or full implant which grant the ability for additional levels after 105. They also do not restore engrams in normal cases, and especially without validation of earned engrams, I'm guessing your referring to the tek engrams there.  Inventory items can not be restored but can be replaced if you have proof of what was in your inventory prior to the character being lost, why its a good idea to take a screenshot of your character and its inventory before transferring servers.  Likewise they won't restore any fertile eggs that were in your inventory, as spawned fertile eggs you will most likely end up with a level 1 baby.  dino restorations from lost dinos either from transfer or cryo'ed dinos in your character inventory are limited by the following restrictions for restoration currently:

• They are unable to control the stats, mutation, or gender of the tames.
  • They are unable to restore any lost items that were on the dinosaur.
  • They will not restore any dinosaurs with levels over 150 without visual evidence (201 max).
  • They do not raise tame nor give imprint.
  • They cannot restore/hatch any eggs.
  • Wyverns (Fire, Lightning, Poison, Ice) and Rock Drake cannot be spawned over level 190
  • They will not restore Reaper, Phoenix, Unicorn, Any Titans, Forest Wyvern, Mek, Enforcer, or Scout
  • Retries on tames are prohibited due to time constraints.
  • They cannot spawn more than 10 dinos

They do restore ownership of any structures you had, and dinos and give the existing baby imprints back to the restored character, but can not do anything about the imprints on adult dino's you had. 

All this is generally outlined to the player prior to them placing a appointment for the character restoration, and they require visual proof of things before restoring them.  Honestly if they just ran around giving everyone a level 135 with full ascension, all the tek gear they wanted, full engrams, and dinos they say they lost, a bunch of beach bobs would be filing support tickets yelling that they lost their character, dinos, gear and wanted it back.  Without proof its really guess work.

I lost my main character and had to file a support ticket to get it back, provided as much visual proof as i could for the restoration process, and honestly, I'm glad I got back what I did, else it would of been a real grind trying to get the babies redone, and leveling back to where i was.  Honestly, it could be alot worse, they could just not provide any form of character restoration and just go "well, guess your out of luck".

6 minutes ago, caleb68 said:

They will not restore any ones character past 105, they can not add the ascension or full implant which grant the ability for additional levels after 105. They also do not restore engrams in normal cases, and especially without validation of earned engrams, I'm guessing your referring to the tek engrams there.  Inventory items can not be restored but can be replaced if you have proof of what was in your inventory prior to the character being lost, why its a good idea to take a screenshot of your character and its inventory before transferring servers.  Likewise they won't restore any fertile eggs that were in your inventory, as spawned fertile eggs you will most likely end up with a level 1 baby.  dino restorations from lost dinos either from transfer or cryo'ed dinos in your character inventory are limited by the following restrictions for restoration currently:

• They are unable to control the stats, mutation, or gender of the tames.
  • They are unable to restore any lost items that were on the dinosaur.
  • They will not restore any dinosaurs with levels over 150 without visual evidence (201 max).
  • They do not raise tame nor give imprint.
  • They cannot restore/hatch any eggs.
  • Wyverns (Fire, Lightning, Poison, Ice) and Rock Drake cannot be spawned over level 190
  • They will not restore Reaper, Phoenix, Unicorn, Any Titans, Forest Wyvern, Mek, Enforcer, or Scout
  • Retries on tames are prohibited due to time constraints.
  • They cannot spawn more than 10 dinos

They do restore ownership of any structures you had, and dinos and give the existing baby imprints back to the restored character, but can not do anything about the imprints on adult dino's you had. 

All this is generally outlined to the player prior to them placing a appointment for the character restoration, and they require visual proof of things before restoring them.  Honestly if they just ran around giving everyone a level 135 with full ascension, all the tek gear they wanted, full engrams, and dinos they say they lost, a bunch of beach bobs would be filing support tickets yelling that they lost their character, dinos, gear and wanted it back.  Without proof its really guess work.

I lost my main character and had to file a support ticket to get it back, provided as much visual proof as i could for the restoration process, and honestly, I'm glad I got back what I did, else it would of been a real grind trying to get the babies redone, and leveling back to where i was.  Honestly, it could be alot worse, they could just not provide any form of character restoration and just go "well, guess your out of luck".

You are both correct and incorrect.

They can and have given ascension and tekgrams before. They just often don't without any reasonable reason. If you have proof that you have achieved those milestones, there should be none.

They can and have raised and fully imprinted dino's before. It's absurd that they now sometimes don't even if you have proof of a high level tame lost. Like a level 201 dino can possibly replace a level 380 or greater 4 day raise that you took the resources and time to 100% imprint.

The problem is they have the ability to do many things they don't. If you have screenshot or video proof with necessary id's and sample numbers there is 0 reason you shouldn't be compensated in game fairly if they have the admin commands to do so. 

Their replacement restrictions are an insult.

1 minute ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

You are both correct and incorrect.

They can and have given ascension and tekgrams before. They just often don't without any reasonable reason. If you have proof that you have achieved those milestones, there should be none.

They can and have raised and fully imprinted dino's before. It's absurd that they now sometimes don't even if you have proof of a high level tame lost. Like a level 201 dino can possibly replace a level 380 or greater 4 day raise that you took the resources and time to 100% imprint.

The problem is they have the ability to do many things they don't. If you have screenshot or video proof with necessary id's and sample numbers there is 0 reason you shouldn't be compensated in game fairly if they have the admin commands to do so. 

I'm just going by the information that they have given me with my tickets for recent dino and character loss.

3 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

I gave them full implant screenshot. With all Bossfights listed and TEK Cave listed. Then you re wrong.

Besides: why do i need to proof, man? Its not my fault.. it was their fault i have lost my character! and proofs of my disappearing lies (or have to be) inside software (backups, etc).

Edited by slejo
  • Facepalm 1

21 minutes ago, slejo said:

I gave them full implant screenshot. With all Bossfights listed and TEK Cave listed. Then you re wrong.

Besides: why do i need to proof, man? Its not my fault.. it was their fault i have lost my character! and proofs of my disappearing lies (or have to be) inside software (backups, etc).

Not sure why you're facepalming me since I was agreeing that they should have a better restoration tactic and explaining that they have the tools to do more.

Maybe try comprehending before commenting?

Just now, slejo said:

Then they should make backups.. they create this software, not me.

If they were to actually backup character files, then they should implement an automatic character rollback process, initiated by a player. No need for a ticket or waiting for everything to decay.

Or better yet, fix the underlying issue.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KauanDan said:

My character was erased one day ago. Im waiting a reply for my ticket, it's really sad because i don't have another charecter so i need to wait, idk, 5 days to replay my ticket to play again?

My experiences showed, thet It's worth having an additional character on each map. Not only that - in each map you should have at least 2 tribemate with admin privilege to regain the tribe and its resources if necessary.

11 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Nothing is deleted unless it breaks forum rules.

Criticize away.

Then why my suggestion/idea of start "NEW EVENT - Extra Life For Servers" was deleted. What forum rules were broken? It was nothing bad! Rather ironic indication of the problem of poor server infrastructure. Unfortunately, one of the moderators didn't like it.

1 minute ago, MotherOfRaptors said:

I hope this issue will be fixed one day. It is major, you would think it is a priority, but yet here we are. How hard it is to implement a character backup information being stored in the cloud? I wonder 

Im programmer irl.. web programmer but its quite the same workstyle. IMAO its quite easy thing.
Example: Independent character position file.. not related with main map backup. In case of rollback and time interruption (rollback causes time travel where no character was at this map yet) character have to die and respawn in one of beds. Or player have then an option that either respawn in previous server or this one.

Anyways implementation would take much less time than hours taken for restoring frustrated players characters.

• Joebl0w13 changed the title to Character Lost - Mega Thread
  • Joebl0w13 locked and unlocked this topic