Dirty spawn

DonaldDuck

Dirty spawn

Do you guys notice or is it just me being paranoid. The game is targetting us by spawning a wild dino nearby that will try to kill us. I think I encountered this quite many times, a surprise attack by random dino that was never there before, or it is just a coincidence. Also I notice in Genesis sometimes the world is quite empty, there is only few dinoes, but some other time it spawns more, I think dinoes despawn after period of time if no players around and refresh its spawn ? While leaving some spawn slot open for dirty spawn that snipes us. 

I really don't feel safe outside :D most often than not I get attacked by random wild dino even though I never see this dino around me while being there, imagine being jumped by a kapro while on a phiomia moving it from old base to nearby new base, and I've looked from a height and NOTHING was around, no kapro no nothing. So I think there's a script like that in the game to jump scare us, not always, but it happens, or could be just a genuine coincidence, only happens quite often because we're often outside as well, gathering stuffs. I feel like a target of assassination when this happens, every time.

Even wild dinoes, when patrolling, they are looking elsewhere, but some randomly getting closer to us.

Have to admit, Iv noticed this too....like I was tired of waiting for my bed cool down timer, so I decided to just random spawn on the beach. However I was NO where near where I thought Id spawn at, and when I got done looking at the crystal in my arm, lvl 150 tek raptor chewing on my face...….he was attacking me way before I ever got fully going.....Ok, that was a thing!

Was fixing my trap and when I turned my mouse facing the other direction, a sarco already in my face biting me while I was encumbered from destroying structures. This is what I'm talking about, a dirty spawn aimed to land a kill when you less expecting it, I can't be that unlucky lol. It's also not a big deal, but to this day I still feel like a target of assassination by the game everytime something like this happens. I didn't see any sarco when i first doing it, it was nice and quiet.

First of all it's definitely happened to me multiple times. Dino not there, go to do something, turn around to e.g. a high lvl raptor that seemingly spawned in or came outa the bushes... Secondly it also occurred to my also paranoid brain to think, hey this is messed up like did I just get targeted by some kind of unknown game mechanism to put that there just because I wasn't looking? Finally - no we are just being paranoid. LOL, I highly doubt they took the time to put in an algorithm to try to figure out when you are paying the least attention/ most vulnerable, to put in a "dirty spawn" ... occam's razor suggests pareidolia (your brain devised a pattern and now anytime something that sort of fits that pattern shows up it's like a wheres waldo puzzle but waldo is a flashing neon sign who sticks out like a sore thumb) but there is no pattern. Reality is the game spawns in raptors, and raptors can hide in a bush, and when you are least anticipating that is also when you are more likely to do a less thorough sweep of the area, look at some thing your building longer and give it time to spawn behind you, or even wander in from further than you scanned.

On 8/28/2020 at 6:09 PM, DonaldDuck said:

Dirty spawn

Do you guys notice or is it just me being paranoid. The game is targetting us by spawning a wild dino nearby that will try to kill us. I think I encountered this quite many times, a surprise attack by random dino that was never there before, or it is just a coincidence.

Yes, that's pretty much how the game works.

They don't want to spawn dinos in front of you for two reasons:

1) since that would break the immersion of being in the game. Watching something spawn in a game is the best way to send up a big red flag saying, "Oh, by the way, don't forget you're playing a game." Now of course we all know that we're playing a game and not living the lives of our characters, but having something spawn in front of you is visually jarring. On the other hand, if something attacks you from behind that you can imagine that it was there sneaking up on you and you just didn't see it.

2) It's a survival game and they like surprising people with dino's attacking you. You can't get the same surprise affect from something spawning in front of you as when it spawns behind you.

The best thing to do is just constantly look around you. The whole idea is that you're never supposed to feel safe, that's one of the things that ARK is trying to accomplish.

Also I notice in Genesis sometimes the world is quite empty, there is only few dinoes, but some other time it spawns more, I think dinoes despawn after period of time if no players around and refresh its spawn ? While leaving some spawn slot open for dirty spawn that snipes us. 

The game does spawning based on where players are active, they do this because it saves server resources. Just like buildings don't spawn in until you get near them the same thing is basically true for dinos.

In areas of the map where no players are active the game does very little spawning, it does some but not a lot. Then when players enter the area the spawn point becomes more active until it reaches it's full spawn numbers. You can see this by loading a solo game, using the fly command to fly to a new location very quickly, and then start looking around in circles watching the number of dinos in the area increase until the area becomes full of life.

Dinos do despawn over time, there is a timer on the server that sets a maximum lifetime for dinos, but most of the time dinos despawn because they wander away from their spawn point. I don't know that the range is, but when dinos get far enough away from their spawn point they will despawn no matter how old they are. You can see this by building a small room, grabbing a dino from as close nearby as possible, and then see how long it takes for that animal to despawn. Usually it will take days, even up to a couple of weeks. But if you carry a dino far away from its spawn point and drop it into the box it will despawn very rapidly. If you fly away for 10-20 minutes it will usually be gone by the time you get back.

They do this so that spawn points on mountains and hills won't be empty all the time. When animals spawn on hills & mountains they constantly move downhill from their spawn point, they get far enough away and despawn, and then new animals spawn at the spawn point to keep it populated. If you ever build a base or a taming pen near a hill/mountain spawn point you'll see a constant parade of animals spawning and going downhill. But if you build in a flat area you can often see the same animal wandering near your base for days at a time, as long as nothing else comes along to kill it.

I think dinoes despawn after period of time if no players around and refresh its spawn ? While leaving some spawn slot open for dirty spawn that snipes us.

So yeah, it's true that dinos despawn but not only for the purposes of having something new dirty spawn behind you. Most of the time when you get a dirty spawn it's because you've wandered near a spawn point that is not fully populated yet and so it starts spawning more animals because there is a player in the area. Or, if you spend time near a hill/mountain spawn point there are animals from that point constantly moving downhill and despawning then new ones spawn in, behind you of course.

I really don't feel safe outside :D

That's the idea, you're supposed to not feel safe outside. :)

So I think there's a script like that in the game to jump scare us, not always, but it happens, or could be just a genuine coincidence, only happens quite often because we're often outside as well, gathering stuffs. I feel like a target of assassination when this happens, every time.

Even wild dinoes, when patrolling, they are looking elsewhere, but some randomly getting closer to us.

True, the game is designed to surprise you, scare you, ambush you, assassinate you, all of those things.

T

4 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

Yes, that's pretty much how the game works.

They don't want to spawn dinos in front of you for two reasons:

1) since that would break the immersion of being in the game. Watching something spawn in a game is the best way to send up a big red flag saying, "Oh, by the way, don't forget you're playing a game." Now of course we all know that we're playing a game and not living the lives of our characters, but having something spawn in front of you is visually jarring. On the other hand, if something attacks you from behind that you can imagine that it was there sneaking up on you and you just didn't see it.

2) It's a survival game and they like surprising people with dino's attacking you. You can't get the same surprise affect from something spawning in front of you as when it spawns behind you.

The best thing to do is just constantly look around you. The whole idea is that you're never supposed to feel safe, that's one of the things that ARK is trying to accomplish.

The game does spawning based on where players are active, they do this because it saves server resources. Just like buildings don't spawn in until you get near them the same thing is basically true for dinos.

In areas of the map where no players are active the game does very little spawning, it does some but not a lot. Then when players enter the area the spawn point becomes more active until it reaches it's full spawn numbers. You can see this by loading a solo game, using the fly command to fly to a new location very quickly, and then start looking around in circles watching the number of dinos in the area increase until the area becomes full of life.

Dinos do despawn over time, there is a timer on the server that sets a maximum lifetime for dinos, but most of the time dinos despawn because they wander away from their spawn point. I don't know that the range is, but when dinos get far enough away from their spawn point they will despawn no matter how old they are. You can see this by building a small room, grabbing a dino from as close nearby as possible, and then see how long it takes for that animal to despawn. Usually it will take days, even up to a couple of weeks. But if you carry a dino far away from its spawn point and drop it into the box it will despawn very rapidly. If you fly away for 10-20 minutes it will usually be gone by the time you get back.

They do this so that spawn points on mountains and hills won't be empty all the time. When animals spawn on hills & mountains they constantly move downhill from their spawn point, they get far enough away and despawn, and then new animals spawn at the spawn point to keep it populated. If you ever build a base or a taming pen near a hill/mountain spawn point you'll see a constant parade of animals spawning and going downhill. But if you build in a flat area you can often see the same animal wandering near your base for days at a time, as long as nothing else comes along to kill it.

So yeah, it's true that dinos despawn but not only for the purposes of having something new dirty spawn behind you. Most of the time when you get a dirty spawn it's because you've wandered near a spawn point that is not fully populated yet and so it starts spawning more animals because there is a player in the area. Or, if you spend time near a hill/mountain spawn point there are animals from that point constantly moving downhill and despawning then new ones spawn in, behind you of course.

That's the idea, you're supposed to not feel safe outside. :)

True, the game is designed to surprise you, scare you, ambush you, assassinate you, all of those things.

Come to think of it, yea I never see one spawning, it's like they're naturally there.

Sometimes I really watch my surrounding and focus my awareness on this dirty spawn that I think exist, but I still never catch one, but I'm sure it works like that because I've made sure nothing is around, nothing is behind me, perfectly safe, until it's not and its so sudden. I'll keep trying to spot one. :D

On 8/28/2020 at 3:09 PM, DonaldDuck said:

Dirty spawn

Do you guys notice or is it just me being paranoid. The game is targetting us by spawning a wild dino nearby that will try to kill us. I think I encountered this quite many times, a surprise attack by random dino that was never there before, or it is just a coincidence.

You should be ashamed! The dinos and the game are not trying to kill us. They want to be our friends and support us in every way possible. The next time a Giga spawns near your base, you should go out and explain yourself, apologizing to it in person. I'm sure everything will be a lot better once you establish some friendly dialog between yourself and the dinos.

?

14 minutes ago, DeHammer said:

You should be ashamed! The dinos and the game are not trying to kill us. They want to be our friends and support us in every way possible. The next time a Giga spawns near your base, you should go out and explain yourself, apologizing to it in person. I'm sure everything will be a lot better once you establish some friendly dialog between yourself and the dinos.

?

Hahah, I never see giga as a threat though, because it makes his presence known with its size, so I can always make distance from it. But not with a raptor, especially before nerf, one pounce 99% of the time will die, thanks that it's nerfed now.

Anyway, I just walking around using my frog looking for bugs to farm cementing paste, its quiet, and suddenly 2 baryonyx chasing me DILO, they werent there before.

Archived