Community Crunch 235: Community Fan Art & More

StudioWildcard

SETUI5y.jpeg

Credit: WetFish40

Welcome to another edition of the community crunch.  We hope everyone is enjoying their experience on the newly launched Crystal Isles!  The team will be on the lookout for any issues we're seeing in the community.  Meanwhile, lets take a look at some amazing community art while we prepare for upcoming events that will round out the year. 

EVO Event

c4d1c70db94b99199a88d21dbf29f34d_2.jpg

There will be no EVO event this week.

Community Fan Art

Kong vs. Rock Drake by Mayapatch

kong_vs_rock_drake_by_mayapatch_ddznb7b-fullview.jpg

Carnotaurus by Eshkerigal

carnotaurus_by_eshkerigal_de0e69f-fullview.jpg

Home of the Alchemist by Koooooo071

EgNsMRRU4AABZmp.jpg

Light Up my World by Diachelvia

de21cxq-f1e63b0a-24d7-4738-a2ef-1bf572d29777.jpg

Leaning Tower of Pisa by ramall_081

EgVrcBuU8AAM913.jpg

Scarlett The Rock Drake by Zeeo103

scarlett_the_rock_drake_by_zeeo103_de3eif6-fullview.jpg

Snow Mountain Walk by N_kaiser

EgcKHM2VAAAKw-W.jpg

Managarmr by DarkOfTheLight

managarmr_by_darkofthelight_de2uh5f-fullview.jpg

See you next week!

Studio Wildcard 

Twitter: twitter.com/survivetheark
Facebook: facebook.com/survivetheark
Reddit: reddit.com/r/playark
Instagram: instagram.com/survivetheark
Twitch: twitch.tv/survivetheark
Steam: steamcommunity.com/app/346110
Youtube: youtube.com/survivetheark

View full article

*sigh*

Thank God for fanarts or else those Community Crunches could look VERY empty...

EDIT I'm so tired of being teased about upcoming things in tweets ("there's a lot coming ! promise !") and every week seeing THIS in Community Crunches. Even if you have nothing to announce, here are a few ideas that could make CCs meatier :
- a recap of the most important tweets posted by the WildCard team in the past week
- a recap of videos posted by Ark Youtubers in the past week. Or some clips from Ark streamers of the past week. I'm sure they'd be happy to send them to Cedric for promotional purposes. I remember that used to happen along with Fanart Fridays, no ?
- any recap of what was accomplished during the past week. How many tickets solved ? Or how many technical issues intervened on ?
- you know, I have not even seen Community Crunches being used to link articles/reviews about the Crystal Isles release (or any DLC before it)... it'd be so easy to give people more stuff to read when it's other people writing it :P Free content right there, just compile links for them. Crystal Isles was just released on console, I'm sure some outlets are going to report on that, no ?
- a handful of suggestions from the suggestions forums, that are already popular and/or of interest to WildCard, so that people can see if they support the idea and vote for it even more (assuming some of those suggestions will lead somewhere... because they do, right ?)
- behind-the-scenes content about stuff already in the game. "Here are some designs we went through while coming up with the Tropeo" / "An interview with ISO on what it meant for her map to become official" / "Our sound designer explaining how dino sounds are made"... just use one CC to ask people for ideas and actually follow up on some of the most doable suggestions
[sidenote : record. Genesis2. Behind-the-scenes. stuff. now... you'll use it to fill Crunches later]
- a written Q&A with one member of the WildCard team. Each week people ask a lot of questions in the comments of the Community Crunches, why not select some of the ones you're most comfortable with, and have someone reply to a handful of them ?
- an update on the mods that are/were part of the Sponsored Mod program. What is their progress now, several months later ? What is their roadmap ? Do they have new projects instead ? (I remember a time when Zen Rowe was interviewing mod devs about their work).
- in general, why not have someone report on the newest and/or most popular mods on the Workshop ? New mods appear pretty much every week, but also, there are popular mods with very frequent update that could get some spotlight. Almost all the mod devs have discords where they post previews of upcoming work, too. It's a dynamic part of the community, it's related to the game... really, the mod monitoring writes itself, it just needs to be reported on in Crunches some way or another. Do SOMETHING with it.
None of this requires to discuss content "in the works", by the way. But at least it'd feel informative and/or constructive. It'd feel like something is happening, instead of stalling until what is coming actually comes. It's ACTUAL content instead of a filler. I do agree it's more work (and more planning ahead, like remembering to record stuff during the development phase of some DLC) than the current Community Crunches, though.

Also one project I really could see being carried through these Community Crunches would be asking people to suggest tips, in order to update the tips on the game's loading screen (I think we all "remember to eat" at this point). That would feel productive imho. Partner with Dododex' admin for this if you need help on the project, IDK ?
I'll also add that I remember filling a poll posted by Cedric a while ago, and I don't remember reading about the feedback, anyone has a link to that ?

Edited by ladyteruki
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 10

Damn ladyteruki hit the nail right on the head!  It would be amazing to read and see all of what she’s talking about.  In a way you are promoting your game.  Maybe explain the process of what you guys go through in fixing bugs and broken aspects of the game (obviously not in great detail due to dbag human beings looking for ways to cheat).  Maybe pitch some ideas to the community as far as some things whether it would be a good idea or not a good idea.  I keep remembering what Cedric said at last year’s 24 hour live stream event about things being introduced into the game and the players coming up with different ideas on how to use it, and the comment that was made was “we develop something intended for one use and then see people use it in a way we never even considered.”  Maybe do some fan art of people’s builds on servers (officials and unofficials) I used to love that!  The sky is the limit, and ladyteruki is right, you would never have to worry about dropping spoiler alerts.  Ark has a good couple of years left before a sequel, don’t waste it.  Maybe develop some mini games as a dlc, just an idea.  We understand you guys are so busy it would make the raptor clause’s head spin, and we thank you for all that you guys are working on!  There are so many awesome ideas out there and obviously all of them can’t be added to the game, but maybe talking about the process on how do ya pick which ones to add or not?   Just a couple ideas that come to me on the fly.  Yes in some ways it adds more work to you guys, but I think it will pay off in the long run.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Volunteer Moderator
8 hours ago, Maggotface said:

So no evo event pc had  a bunch of time with increased rates with the new map now we get it months later and your still making us suffer. Can't believe that even after people have been trapped in your OC servers  for 2 days now its just disrespectful to your console players 

You do realise the rates you have now on consoles is the same rates that PC currently has and is in fact the same rates that all platforms have had for the last few months including PC?

Rates were put on permanent Evo 2x until the major patch came out to make the base rate 2x. When that major patch released the Evo stopped and the base rate increased meaning that there was absolutely NO change in rates from the last month or so.

So you aren't missing out on anything and PC NEVER had higher rates for CI.

I don't understand why people are finding this so confusing.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Spoiler
11 hours ago, ladyteruki said:

*sigh*

Thank God for fanarts or else those Community Crunches could look VERY empty...

EDIT I'm so tired of being teased about upcoming things in tweets ("there's a lot coming ! promise !") and every week seeing THIS in Community Crunches. Even if you have nothing to announce, here are a few ideas that could make CCs meatier :
- a recap of the most important tweets posted by the WildCard team in the past week
- a recap of videos posted by Ark Youtubers in the past week. Or some clips from Ark streamers of the past week. I'm sure they'd be happy to send them to Cedric for promotional purposes. I remember that used to happen along with Fanart Fridays, no ?
- any recap of what was accomplished during the past week. How many tickets solved ? Or how many technical issues intervened on ?
- you know, I have not even seen Community Crunches being used to link articles/reviews about the Crystal Isles release (or any DLC before it)... it'd be so easy to give people more stuff to read when it's other people writing it :P Free content right there, just compile links for them. Crystal Isles was just released on console, I'm sure some outlets are going to report on that, no ?
- a handful of suggestions from the suggestions forums, that are already popular and/or of interest to WildCard, so that people can see if they support the idea and vote for it even more (assuming some of those suggestions will lead somewhere... because they do, right ?)
- behind-the-scenes content about stuff already in the game. "Here are some designs we went through while coming up with the Tropeo" / "An interview with ISO on what it meant for her map to become official" / "Our sound designer explaining how dino sounds are made"... just use one CC to ask people for ideas and actually follow up on some of the most doable suggestions
[sidenote : record. Genesis2. Behind-the-scenes. stuff. now... you'll use it to fill Crunches later]
- a written Q&A with one member of the WildCard team. Each week people ask a lot of questions in the comments of the Community Crunches, why not select some of the ones you're most comfortable with, and have someone reply to a handful of them ?
- an update on the mods that are/were part of the Sponsored Mod program. What is their progress now, several months later ? What is their roadmap ? Do they have new projects instead ? (I remember a time when Zen Rowe was interviewing mod devs about their work).
- in general, why not have someone report on the newest and/or most popular mods on the Workshop ? New mods appear pretty much every week, but also, there are popular mods with very frequent update that could get some spotlight. Almost all the mod devs have discords where they post previews of upcoming work, too. It's a dynamic part of the community, it's related to the game... really, the mod monitoring writes itself, it just needs to be reported on in Crunches some way or another. Do SOMETHING with it.
None of this requires to discuss content "in the works", by the way. But at least it'd feel informative and/or constructive. It'd feel like something is happening, instead of stalling until what is coming actually comes. It's ACTUAL content instead of a filler. I do agree it's more work (and more planning ahead, like remembering to record stuff during the development phase of some DLC) than the current Community Crunches, though.

Also one project I really could see being carried through these Community Crunches would be asking people to suggest tips, in order to update the tips on the game's loading screen (I think we all "remember to eat" at this point). That would feel productive imho. Partner with Dododex' admin for this if you need help on the project, IDK ?
I'll also add that I remember filling a poll posted by Cedric a while ago, and I don't remember reading about the feedback, anyone has a link to that ?

THESE. SUGGESTIONS. ARE. ALL. AMAZING!!!

A lot of them are really low hanging fruit as well. I hope WC reads it and acts!

Edited by Zahlea
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GP said:

So you aren't missing out on anything and PC NEVER had higher rates for CI.

I don't understand why people are finding this so confusing.

Because we had 4x for weeks. Not everyone follows these forums and just know what they experienced in game... not necessarily caring much what the reason for the 4x was.

EDIT: and yes I know the base rates have now increased and what we considered 4x for those weeks would now be called 2x. 2x what the rates are today.

Edited by Luizza

15 minutes ago, Luizza said:

Because we had 4x for weeks. Not everyone follows these forums and just know what they experienced in game... not necessarily caring much what the reason for the 4x was.

EDIT: and yes I know the base rates have now increased and what we considered 4x for those weeks would now be called 2x. 2x what the rates are today.

Though... if they just care about what they experience in the game there should be no problem as the experience is exactly the same.

The only reason for them to be upset is if they do read the forums and if they do, it's not unreasonable to ask that they either:

1. Read through other posts to make sure they know what's going on in which case it would quickly cease to be a problem.
  2. Realise that they are not all-knowing and appreciate being informed instead of arrogantly sticking to their complaining. That way, it would also quickly cease to be a problem.
Edited by Zahlea

Just now, Zahlea said:

Though... if they just care about what they experience in the game there should be no problem as the experience is exactly the same.

The experience is not the same, whatever you call the rates, it was double what it is now on official.

Anyhow this is not my row to have, I just ignore abusive posts so am not aware if there has been a running theme going on that is exasperating the regulars.

I just find it irritating when people use semantics (or rates and rate changes) to alter or muddy the waters over what the facts are / were. Rates were indeed higher than they are now on official for weeks.

We never had 4x. The rates from the recent evo events were 2x of the old rates, which is 4x of the even older rates back in 2015. Now that the old 2x is the new permanent 1x, the rates are still the same like what@GP said.

Thx for the link to Cedrec's Tweet, for I stopped watching his content for several reasons, some reasons out of my control (my gaming Twitter is locked because I switched PC's), but I personally chose to not look at his tweets regularly because he has posted tweets that hurt me a little inside. Amusement at the loss of tames is not something I want to see, ever.

@ladyteruki some really good ideas there!

Even if all we get is links to some of Staff's favorite forum threads, or even links to maybe some redit posts or copies of other official content, I would like to see more readable content, than a picture of a dino's hearted fanny :/

• Thanks 1