Doubled harvesting, taming, and XP rates in the core game

edycod

15 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

Why in the world is hand harvested rocks decoupled from the base rate?

Because the base rate is for everything other than picking up rocks off the ground. The basic concept is that picking up a single rock from the ground will always get you a single rock, regardless of the harvesting rate.

Rocks on the ground aren't there increase efficiency, they are there to give players a chance to harvest the bare minimum of rocks with their bare hands, and then use those rocks to create tools for real harvesting. Ground rocks only exist so that players can at least pick up a few rocks no matter how desperate they are.

27 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

Because the base rate is for everything other than picking up rocks off the ground. The basic concept is that picking up a single rock from the ground will always get you a single rock, regardless of the harvesting rate.

Rocks on the ground aren't there increase efficiency, they are there to give players a chance to harvest the bare minimum of rocks with their bare hands, and then use those rocks to create tools for real harvesting. Ground rocks only exist so that players can at least pick up a few rocks no matter how desperate they are.

There is some logic to that, but in that case they should have also always been decoupled from evolution events. Actually I remember the first time someone told me in global to pick up a rock instead of asking if the event had started, and me being like really even that is 2x? So in retrospect it's more intuitive they give 1 rock.

50 minutes ago, sjskdjkfa said:

There is some logic to that, but in that case they should have also always been decoupled from evolution events. Actually I remember the first time someone told me in global to pick up a rock instead of asking if the event had started, and me being like really even that is 2x? So in retrospect it's more intuitive they give 1 rock.

While I understand your idea that "in that case they should have also always been decoupled from evolution events" I disagree with you. Evolution events are, by their very nature, special occasions, temporary events, and should have their own logic that is different from the logic that is applied when permanently modifying the base game.

I don't agree that the permanent change to harvesting rates should be bound by the same logic as temporary evolution events.

• Volunteer Moderator
56 minutes ago, sjskdjkfa said:

I don't believe it is possible to decouple rocks from evo events. It is all part of the base rate which for rocks is 1. So when the 1.0 harvesting is increased there's no way to seperate rocks from that.

6 minutes ago, GP said:

I don't believe it is possible to decouple rocks from evo events. It is all part of the base rate which for rocks is 1. So when the 1.0 harvesting is increased there's no way to seperate rocks from that.

What I'm imagining is that there is some constants at the top of some code e.g. BASE and EVO. It might look something like (in pseudo c) -

import something

const BASE = 1;

const EVO = 2;

if(!evloution){

int stoneMultiplier = 1;

}else{

int stoneMultiplier = 1*EVO;

}

But else where in the code you'd have stuff like

pickMultiplier = 100*BASE*EVO;

If all that is still true, then picking up a rock will still be a perfect indicator of whether or not an evolution event is going on, as stated.  Not indicative of a base rate change,  no, but if WildCard does a 2x evolution event 2 weekends from now, with the new base rates, it will give you 2 stone when you pick up a rock off the ground if the evolution event is active.

I don't know any ARK players that pick up a stone to test base rate gathering (who  the hell would do that?), only to see if an evolution event is active.  EDIT:  The only place that would help is on an unofficial server with custom rates.  If that is the case, one can just read about the specific server they are on.

• Volunteer Moderator
53 minutes ago, TR-8R said:

So the rock picking is not affect by the new X2 base ?

My friend pick only 1 stone on the ground so he is questioning if this X2 normalizing is a real thing .

It's already been explained in this topic if you read all the posts. I quoted Dollie earlier explaining it.

2x is the new base, but stone picking is kept as 1 stone as has always been when the base has been increased.

18 hours ago, GP said:

He has, he did it ages ago, the very day after the base rates were changed.

Hi! I'm the developer of Dododex. Just wanted to confirm that this is correct. Also, just note that you need to be on the latest version of the app (v2.4 or higher). There's an in-app notice. The website has already been updated as well. ?

Archived