I don't get the moschops

JJacky

I don't get the moschops

What's the point of moschops in Ark? They are really bad at harvesting their specialty resources and a pain to tame.

My 300% melee argy harvests more organic polymer from penguins than a poly maxed (40 points to polymer harvesting, 400%+ melee) moschops.

I also tried maxing out prime fish  meat harvesting on another moschops and all it gets is normal fish meat when harvesting a bunch of salmon. Hell even my character gets more prime meat with a primitive pick.

To put it mildly, Im pretty annoyed for spending hours hunting for taming food to tame these picky eaters, only to find out theyre pretty useless.

What am I missing here? 

11 minutes ago, JJacky said:

I don't get the moschops

What's the point of moschops in Ark? They are really bad at harvesting their specialty resources and a pain to tame.

My 300% melee argy harvests more organic polymer from penguins than a poly maxed (40 points to polymer harvesting, 400%+ melee) moschops.

I also tried maxing out prime fish  meat harvesting on another moschops and all it gets is normal fish meat when harvesting a bunch of salmon. Hell even my character gets more prime meat with a primitive pick.

To put it mildly, Im pretty annoyed for spending hours hunting for taming food to tame these picky eaters, only to find out theyre pretty useless.

What am I missing here? 

I have heard that the key is to not be riding them when you have them harvest the target, they supposedly get a lot more of whatever theyre after that way. 

2 hours ago, JJacky said:

I don't get the moschops

What am I missing here? 

They are a great source of hide and meat for beginners as you can find them on the easy beaches and they don't fight back.  Other than that, I don't use them.

I have done testing on single player and it seems leveling up melee on a moschops does not do anything for gathering more resources, at least for organic polymer from penguins. Just level up weight and hp. Also what are your rates? I believe penguins have a soft cap for the amount of poly they give so that might be why your argent is getting more poly.

12 hours ago, JJacky said:

I don't get the moschops

What's the point of moschops in Ark?

Prime meat and easiest source of Superior Kibble eggs.

Check the other dinos giving eggs for Superior.Moschops clearly is the easiest of them to get.

They were supposed to act as a sort of a Gatcha.producing tons of materials hard to get.However for some reason they were buged and not fixed by WC.

They do work with prime meat.

If you need an easy source of prime meat get one decent level,level its Prime to 200%+ and youll get tons of Prime meat.

Another useful trait they have is the autonomous harvest ability. If set to wander they will harvest berries and such from nearby bushes.

So you could set up a little pen so it can't wander to the end of the map, make sure there are some bush spawns in the closed off area set them on wander and go off to do other things, come back and grab the berries out their inventories.

Not all dinos have a super better than every other dino niche ability, many of their utility features bleed into each other with different levels of effectiveness. tons of dinos gather berries, however some do it better than others and some gather wood as well, or gather thatch as well or gather metal some can gather by themselves while on wander, some make more sense early game and others make sense later on. It's all about having something to suite different situations, and in that sense there are no really useless dinos, everything has something it excels at, even if another dino can do that thing better there is usually other features that the former will have to compensate, sometimes that feature is as simple as being an easy tame and requiring no sadle.

I think everyone here has stated enough to demonstrate the uses of the moschops, it may not be something that suites your needs but you know that old saying, one mans trash is another mans autonomous lazy berry farmer ;).

EDIT: I mean think about the jerboa besides being the cutest dino in the game, it's pretty much a living backpack which can't even hold all that much weight, items in it's inven do only count as half their weight for you when it is on your shoulder I believe. but still that isn't all that useful when it's max weight is so low. It's main defining feature is it gives a specific call depending on what weather is coming, i.e rain/sand storm/ heatwave etc. To many that would seem useless but you will still get those who can appreciate that utility. Different strokes for different folks.

I did some testing as well on my LAN single player at official rates. It does technically appear to boost Organic Poly acquisition but as this video shows, it really isnt worth the time fighting for the boost. The targeting and corpse harvesting is so buggy, even on LAN where latency shouldn't be a concern, it is faster to just mount and kill. Gathering starts at about 17 minutes in.

Thanks for the replies everyone. 

Tested one more moschop with maxed tree sap harvesting, but I get nothing from Joshua trees. 

In conclusion, this dino is definitely bugged and needs to be looked at. Why does it have specialty harvesting levels when it either gathers riddiculously low amounts or doesnt gather at all? I suppose they are good for kibble eggs as they dont take that much space. Other than that, the moschops is yet another bugged dino that only serves as a source of meat and hide.

P.s its wandering ability isnt really useful because I play on official pvp and it gets killed if left to wander.

On 8/26/2020 at 5:24 PM, JJacky said:

P.s its wandering ability isnt really useful because I play on official pvp and it gets killed if left to wander.

Isn't useful to you, is the correct statement there. Not everyone plays PvP.

I however do also mainly play on PvP and have managed to make use of the passive harvest, A few times I have used a moschops or two while I'm taking a raft base to a place i want to build, I stop off somewhere let them out and put on wander in a safe area while I go grab some mats, Come back after a few mins take them off wander put back in raft chuck berries on mort, head off, stop at next area and rinse and repeat. Just leaving them on wander then logging off or leaving them wandering around for hours is not advisable for any dino on PVP unless it's inside an enclosure. That doesnt mean you can't use passive harvest in PVP, I do it all the time with beavers and moschops etc... Anyway if you don't find them useful for yourself then that is perfectly fine you don't have to use them, there is a big variety of tames for different and overlapping roles, thats the nice thing about ark is you have options. Just don't assume that because you don't find something useful that is must be that way for everyone and that the dino in question should then just be deemed the appendix of ark.

Like I said before different strokes suite different folks.

On 8/28/2020 at 10:44 AM, HoboNation said:

Isn't useful to you, is the correct statement there. Not everyone plays PvP.

I however do also mainly play on PvP and have managed to make use of the passive harvest, A few times I have used a moschops or two while I'm taking a raft base to a place i want to build, I stop off somewhere let them out and put on wander in a safe area while I go grab some mats, Come back after a few mins take them off wander put back in raft chuck berries on mort, head off, stop at next area and rinse and repeat. Just leaving them on wander then logging off or leaving them wandering around for hours is not advisable for any dino on PVP unless it's inside an enclosure. That doesnt mean you can't use passive harvest in PVP, I do it all the time with beavers and moschops etc... Anyway if you don't find them useful for yourself then that is perfectly fine you don't have to use them, there is a big variety of tames for different and overlapping roles, thats the nice thing about ark is you have options. Just don't assume that because you don't find something useful that is must be that way for everyone and that the dino in question should then just be deemed the appendix of ark.

Like I said before different strokes suite different folks.

True enough, but let's not forget there are features on the Moschops that are simply bugged (like harvesting prime fish meat), which should either be fixed or completely removed. My main frustration comes from the fish harvesting bug. Imagine spending hours taming a really annoying and picky dino only to find out that it's not working. Prime fish is really tough to come by early/midgame on many maps.

On 8/25/2020 at 12:06 PM, JJacky said:

I don't get the moschops What's the point of moschops in Ark? They are really bad at harvesting their specialty resources and a pain to tame. My 300% melee argy harvests more organic polymer from penguins than a poly maxed (40 points to polymer harvesting, 400%+ melee) moschops. I also tried maxing out prime fish  meat harvesting on another moschops and all it gets is normal fish meat when harvesting a bunch of salmon. Hell even my character gets more prime meat with a primitive pick. To put it mildly, Im pretty annoyed for spending hours hunting for taming food to tame these picky eaters, only to find out theyre pretty useless. What am I missing here? 

Im right there with you on the argies being better than the chops for poly....honestly I just slam the penguins and hell even the mantis on SE and can gather tons of poly quickly......the only thing I can see the chops bein better is if you own a farm or let them wander for berries to automatically gather on their own. In the case of a poly farm, just set them to wander in a pen with breeder penguins you have set to breed full time, and he will wait till one dies off and will auto harvest the carcass.

However since every single one I tried to tame has asked for kibble when I tamed them, its a question of how far into the game you got to be before tameing one and many other dinos are so much better at what they can do "some" of the time, so even that's kinda a bust.

On 9/3/2020 at 2:00 PM, wizard03 said:

However since every single one I tried to tame has asked for kibble when I tamed them, its a question of how far into the game you got to be before tameing one and many other dinos are so much better at what they can do "some" of the time, so even that's kinda a bust.

Exactly. I hear people say it's a good early game tame, but it sure as h3ll doesn't feel like it in terms of taming. Bee honey, prime fish, kibble, cooked prime, these are really difficult to come by early game. Late game, when you actually have the resources to tame one, the moschops is far surpassed by other resource harvesting dinos.

Archived