Solo/ guerrilla play style in 2020

LordRyot

Solo/ guerrilla play style in 2020

Hello, so I play on PvP PS4 small tribes and I’ve been part of tek tribes and play a lot of solo and to be honest I much prefer solo/ duo life. I love thinking up new strats or finding new hidden spots to build a 2x1x2 base and trying to raid medium sized tribes.

I have tried various strats for hiding my base. I’ve lived on Quetz, rafts small hidden bases with success. I absolutely love a quetz base. There’s something about being at the top of the world looking down onto the map that feels so good. Plus there isn’t any grind to get turrets or arb.

I wanted to share a few tips and ask a few questions to get new tips and ideas from others that play the game this way.

cryopods have now made solo life so much easier. Now that I can cryo my tames and kill my survivor before logging out I can’t be found by parasaur detection

having at least 2 functioning bases. (Fab, smithy, chem bench). And keeping farming tames in each very useful. Less likely to get wiped

What map do you have the most success on? Mine is Rag, there’s quite a few spots hidden in the tree line or behind a small waterfall which work well for me. Plus I can get a griffin and tame a quetz quite quickly when doing a quetz base

Are purlovias a smart way to store loot? This is my most recent strat I’m trying out. I hid 3 purlovias but 1 of which got found within 2 days

I paint my bases black to make them less obvious, are any other colours better?

turrets or not? When hiding a base in trees I like to have a few heavies on low to stop the average bob with c4 blowing into a base but I know this can work against me because I have had Alpha tribes fly need my base and get shot so they raid me

hiding vaults with loot, do you prefer an underwater vault or one hidden in bushes and trees? I’ve tried both but dislike the underwater vault because it’s a bit more hassle to access. I paint these black as well

Is hiding tames at sky border with loot a good strat? I’ve never tried this as I often fly at sky border with a griffin when getting from A to B and find argies from time to time

if anyone else has some top tips they’d like to add I’d love to know them and hopefully learn some new strat. Thanks for reading!

I vaguely remember something about cheaters modifying their local files to make things like hidden bases and purlovias stand out like a sore thumb... after years of playing guerilla and invariably getting found, I came to the conclusion there is no silver bullet. I'm sure some strategies are better than others, but probably the longer streaks of going undetected were less to do with my being clever, and more to do with the alpha tribes growing bored with me. One thing that is pretty effective that I don't think you mentioned is uploading. But I lost a lot of stuff just from my own incompetence due to that method, by simply forgetting it was up for 24 hours. That method takes a level of vigilance I wasn't prepared to pour into the game at that point. Besides, in order to play with anything you've hidden by any method, you need to extract it and get it into the game, where you will invariably loose it.

My view - but I ain't been online for a loooong time time!

I've done OK for a while on Rag with a raft - but eventually got wasted. Rag is nice to play, but I think the Center is a better map for hide and seek (the up and down terrain makes looking for a base a mission, not just a fly-over).

Never thought as far as as a Qwetz base on-line. Ain't those guys too big to do the hiding thing?

Purlovia's are damn useless since detectors (like Paras) were introduced. And foliage / trees / hidden spots are damn useless cause of the .ini hack that sjskdjkfa talks about. I got wasted night after night in "hidden" spots. Hidden loot HAS to be underwater - on the ground, the .ini hack will mess you up. Underwater its way more difficult to find.

Paint just ain't in it - the .ini will get you!

i havent done this in 2020, but usually i make a cluster of identical 1x1x1stone buildings on beach and split everything in them..... (hidden in plain sight?)

although there as still times when you log on and found everything gone, if this happens, then you would probably just have to wait at a door, club anyone who comes out,  and start over....

I do see a lot of stone 1x1s near beaches that just never seem to get raided but the decay timer is usually down and I think that stops people bothering blowing into them. However I think if I saw multiple belonging to the same tribe it’d look suspect and I’d blow them.

ini does concern me, but I thought it was more of a problem on PC though?

I used to think the center was a great map for hiding but recently I’ve been getting raided very quickly on it. I tried watching YouTube videos of hidden spots on there and deliberately didn’t build there because I knew everyone would know about them so I found my own spots and never lasted more than a week. I just think everyone knows the map too well and it gets scouted too frequently. 

I know of the strat/ exploit where you mesh your raft into a rock or the world border so it can’t be looted. I’d feel dirty doing this but I understand why people do it. Is it successful? If I see one without turrets I usually try to sink them because I see it as a cheat

Since YouTubers made purlovia hunting popular center is not as good as it used. Everyone and their mom now has an interest in wyvern + parasaur scouting centers and the common ratholes spots are well known.

Abberation is best for hiding. Even today on main Officials large part of the map, especially the radiation zones remain an uncharted mystery to majority of playerbase. Few have skills and courage to venture into depths of Abberation, and much fewer still will do so to look for ratholes. Abberation scouting and PvP is a skill only possesed by the elite subset of players and eliminate majority of griefers. Your random bob won't venture there and even most megatribe players are clueless about this map. If you find a decent rathole on a dead abberation server you can easily survive for months without being discovered.

Make a quetzal base and whistle it to the skybox on a no-flyer genesis map

That way a griefer either has to transfer a whale or spend 300 ele on a skiff (lol)

And the alpha tribe is unlikely to spend time roaming the top of the sky box for funsies

Transfer stuff through uploading your character and downloading at a bed, and now that babies don't wander on birth you can get some real breeding work done

Archived