Can't share clusters directory between two servers

CobKurtain

1. Create a new group. Mine is just called "ark".
sudo groupadd ark

2. Add all Ark server user accounts to the new group. 
usermod -a -G ark arkserver
usermod -a -G ark arkserver2

3. Change the ownership of the folder so that the group is "ark"
sudo chown -R arkserver:ark /home/clusters

In this example I'm assuming that "clusters" is just a folder you created, and is not an actual user. I'm also assuming that "arkserver" and "arkserver2" are user accounts that you are running the instances under. (This is how I set it up for mine using LGSM. Each server is under it's own user account.)

5 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

sudo groupadd ark

In this example I'm assuming that "clusters" is just a folder you created, and is not an actual user. I'm also assuming that "arkserver" and "arkserver2" are user accounts that you are running the instances under. (This is how I set it up for mine using LGSM. Each server is under it's own user account.)

hey

Thank's for your answer but I tried and still have this error:

[ FAIL ] Starting arkserver: Ownership issues found
Information! The current user (arkserver2) does not have ownership of the following files:
User  Group      File
root  arkserver  /home/arkserver2/serverfiles/ShooterGame/Saved/clusters/1

5 hours ago, CobKurtain said:

hey

Thank's for your answer but I tried and still have this error:

[ FAIL ] Starting arkserver: Ownership issues found
Information! The current user (arkserver2) does not have ownership of the following files:
User  Group      File
root  arkserver  /home/arkserver2/serverfiles/ShooterGame/Saved/clusters/1

Your file is owned by root, not arkserver. Ownership on that file is currently root:arkserver.  According to the instructions I gave previously, it should be arkserver2:ark.

Also your cluster directory should be set in /home/clusters, and then the ownership on those files would end up being arkserver2:ark.

3 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

Your file is owned by root, not arkserver. Ownership on that file is currently root:arkserver.  According to the instructions I gave previously, it should be arkserver2:ark.

Also your cluster directory should be set in /home/clusters, and then the ownership on those files would end up being arkserver2:ark.

Okay it's not looking in the good directory, I didn't see that. Something wrong with my command ?

-ClusterDirOverride=/home/clusters

1 minute ago, SylenThunder said:

That argument looks correct, but it doesn't appear to be using it. Check that you have it configured correctly.

parms="${defaultmap}?AltSaveDirectoryName=${altsavedirectoryname}?listen?MultiHome=${ip}?MaxPlayers=${maxplayers}?QueryPort=${queryport}?RCONPort=${rconport}?Port=${port} -NoTransferFromFiltering -ClusterDirOverride=/home/clusters -clusterid=1 -automanagedmods -crossplay -PublicIPForEpic=${ip}"
}

It's not even explained how I should use this argument here:

https://docs.linuxgsm.com/game-servers/ark-survival-evolved

But I'm not sure, should I configure something else ?

18 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

sudo groupadd ark

When using this command "sudo chown -R arkserver:ark /home/clusters", just arkserver have rights but not arkserver2 even if both users are in ark group

This is for Windows but I'm just gonna add it here incase some stumbles upon this and it's helpful. I've got two PCs running servers and to get them to cluster together I've mapped a network drive from the one without the clusters folder to the one which does. This gives it a drive letter so you can change it from C:/ark_servers/clusters to Z:/ark_servers/clusters where Z is the letter for the network drive. 

Again I know this isn't relevant to the post but based on the title I thought it might help someone.

Archived