Make ARK 2 PvE Less "Predictable"

warcryr

Suggestion

I love ARK, but to this day I have a hard time playing it for one underlying root issue:

The game is predictable. (maybe for lack of a better word)   I'll keep this short for now...

1. The dinos/creatures are "dumb" (AI).  You can't get immersed into an adventure/survival game when you can literally see the logic in the "AI".  It's a constant reminder that you're in front of a computer instead of on an island.  Incorporate "learning", "maturation", "aging", "trauma", "isolation", "health", "instincts" ....etc. into the AI.   Allow the dino's environment to have a real influence on a dino's personality and allow each dino have difference's in personality.  Also, some realism would be nice in a game like ARK, I want a newly tamed rex to have a chance of eating my tamed dodos if I put them in the same pen and don't keep the rex fed (example).

2. Incorporate dynamic environments.  The secrets/exploration of the maps is spoiled by online content/wikis.  I know this is just the reality of the internet but if we can get environmental changes that influence how we traverse the map, there are things that can be done to offset how EASY the game is.  Severe storms, volcanic eruptions, avalanches, changes in snow levels, tides, (sand storms was a good start).  Even go as far as having a map that shape shifts periodically, switches biomes, changes elevations, submerges in the ocean, slowly or quickly changes resource locations (or the amount per node for example), or even uses the procedural generated map logic to change things on the fly (ideas of things that can be done to keep the game interesting).

3. Be more careful with OP features like "flyers",  the introduction of flyers, especially "classic" flyers, although fun in the short term, ruined PvE, it allowed us to get through the content quickly making us want more, like new maps, which we continue to get through relatively quickly and continue to want more; when will you get tired of throwing 3d models in our faces and realize that the problem isn't a lack of content? 

4. Taming is lame.  This may be a result of bad AI and overpowered "features", but for example: once you get a Quetzal, the lame and repetitive "taming" procedure of dropping animals into a taming pen, have them run in circles and stick to a wall.  This is how we ended up? :/

Alright, we all know there is a lot that can be improved with ARK.  These are some that have bothered me the most and have been ongoing since release.

5 replies to this server topic

Suggest devs look at adding Shadlos Additional Creatures.  All of them don't leave a single one out.  To every map.  Many are mythological fantasy not dinos and that is a good thing! 

I have a slow pc (no ssd) and I can run all Additional Creatures.  They don't lag.

I don't know where WC is going with ark in as much as will they get to the point they don't want to add more official maps?  If they are going to continue to release map dlc with specific creatures restricted to one map as their only spawn that's okay.  BUT plz consider how boring the old maps are.  I'm glad for a reason to visit a new map, get pets, port them to other maps.  Ok.  No prob.  But you should ALSO bring new creatures in to the old maps.  

And pls stop blocking off Ruins.  Cave build blocking makes sense.  But there was no reason to block the Ruins; no offense they aren't impressive to visit.  They are small, boring and look like someone set a toy in the middle of my game.  What the ruins are missing is more passage ways leading to more discovery.   Valguero's stairs up a mountain was good and the secret sliding door was ace perfect what pve is into.

PVE is about exploring and fighting mobs.  Not gaming or playing games.  Living in a world.  Let's keep it exciting.  

1 hour ago, slayerofzombs87 said:

nobody wants their newly tamed dino rex or not to start eating their other tames ... DILO lol. we play pve for a reason. that would be unhealthy for the game and overall community. be more careful with op flyers? its pve .... the casual mode not a hardcore game if you want hardcore then play pvp. or go play genesis with literally no flyers they introduced it in that map. sounds like you want them to strip it down too barebones and have not much variety. the wikis having all the info is because the games been out for years what else do you expect? im from the beta days plus most caves tend to be the same or abit different go get loot grab artifacts etc etc. blah blah. no matter what they do it will always be predictable. their first priority is optimisation nevermind the suggestions you posted above and fixing bug issues with the previous iteration character loss etc etc. 

I totally understand what you're saying and where you're coming from.

But I believe that the way PvE players currently play and expectations/perception the playerbase has at this point has been "ruined" by how the game was developed/released.  If "we" weren't accustomed to being able to have 100% reliably trained robots since day 1, or being able to fly across the map in a couple minutes, we wouldn't know the difference.  It would just be part of how we play the game and add more interesting dynamics.

This is why I used "ARK 2", as a 2nd chance for more interesting/engaging gameplay.

But... you are right in that many players (a lot of my friends actually) just want to collect dinos, paint them tie-dye rainbow and watch them bob their heads in unison for hours on end.  So as long as the playerbase is OK with this (idk if ARK is dying or not), and the new map releases are selling $$$, I don't see where wildcard would do anything with these suggestions. :( 

3 minutes ago, warcryr said:

I totally understand what you're saying and where you're coming from.

But I believe that the way PvE players currently play and expectations/perception the playerbase has at this point has been "ruined" by how the game was developed/released.  If "we" weren't accustomed to being able to have 100% reliably trained robots since day 1, or being able to fly across the map in a couple minutes, we wouldn't know the difference.  It would just be part of how we play the game and add more interesting dynamics.

This is why I used "ARK 2", as a 2nd chance for more interesting/engaging gameplay.

But... you are right in that many players (a lot of my friends actually) just want to collect dinos, paint them tie-dye rainbow and watch them bob their heads in unison for hours on end.  So as long as the playerbase is OK with this (idk if ARK is dying or not), and the new map releases are selling $$$, I don't see where wildcard would do anything with these suggestions. :( 

well. im from the beta days when cryopods wasnt a thing having to trek all the way from the snow on the island with my newly tamed mammoth when i had no flyer with my rex behind me and the cold almost killed me only thing that saved me was an egg i picked up and ate it ... lol. the point is ark was far too time consuming no joke you couldnt even rest properly imprint every 4 hours for wyverns. the rates was crap it was a literal grind fest. i dont mind a challenge but that was the equivalent of a full time job when its meant to be a game know what i mean? lol .... me i prefer to do boss fights or get my event wyverns or farm the resources to craft what i need or do cave runs or go get drake eggs or the missions on genesis not sit for hours on end tame luckily the rates are much better now than the old days on taming. i tamed a golem back when scorched earth was released i think that took something like 8 or 9 hours was it?

only had some mantis kibble not much most of it was done on sulfur .. lol. myself im not much of a collector of colours maybe wyverns from events or i like drakes. but ultimately i prefer my dinos to be ultimate killing machines or destroyers. people have jobs lives need to eat do the normal every day stuff not sat their putting their well being and health on the line. plus as for changing biomes or procedural i think tbh it would be too much work load and also probably annoy people each time they go for resources the map changes idk about anyone else but that would piss me off. all the environmental changes suggested above will put people off unless they made one map purely with those effects. also some maps are literally designed with flyers solely in mind look at valguero. who knows if their will even be an ark 2 anyway. ark 2 would just literally a heavily remodified engine maybe upgrades bug fixes same assets reused with maybe some new ones probably. funny to me though dinos still get stuck in rocks or cant walk round them or cliff edges redwoods is a prime example where ive seen alot of it on valguero lol. the list is endless probably of the things i could say about things to change or the view of the game

On 8/7/2020 at 7:48 AM, slayerofzombs87 said:

nobody wants their newly tamed dino rex or not to start eating their other tames ... DILO lol. we play pve for a reason. that would be unhealthy for the game and overall community. be more careful with op flyers? its pve .... the casual mode not a hardcore game if you want hardcore then play pvp. or go play genesis with literally no flyers they introduced it in that map. sounds like you want them to strip it down too barebones and have not much variety. the wikis having all the info is because the games been out for years what else do you expect? im from the beta days plus most caves tend to be the same or abit different go get loot grab artifacts etc etc. blah blah. no matter what they do it will always be predictable. their first priority is optimisation nevermind the suggestions you posted above and fixing bug issues with the previous iteration character loss etc etc. 

I actually advocated for what OP suggested as far as new tames developing wild attributes if not cared for properly. Take care of them and it won't be an issue.

Some of what OP suggests should be left up to the user not to/or to use themselves but upping certain challenges, smarter creatures is a valid point and one I support. 

42 minutes ago, warcryr said:

I love ARK, but to this day I have a hard time playing it for one underlying root issue:

The game is predictable. (maybe for lack of a better word)   I'll keep this short for now...

1. The dinos/creatures are "dumb" (AI).  You can't get immersed into an adventure/survival game when you can literally see the logic in the "AI".  It's a constant reminder that you're in front of a computer instead of on an island.  Incorporate "learning", "maturation", "aging", "trauma", "isolation", "health", "instincts" ....etc. into the AI.   Allow the dino's environment to have a real influence on a dino's personality and allow each dino have difference's in personality.  Also, some realism would be nice in a game like ARK, I want a newly tamed rex to have a chance of eating my tamed dodos if I put them in the same pen and don't keep the rex fed (example).

2. Incorporate dynamic environments.  The secrets/exploration of the maps is spoiled by online content/wikis.  I know this is just the reality of the internet but if we can get environmental changes that influence how we traverse the map, there are things that can be done to offset how EASY the game is.  Severe storms, volcanic eruptions, avalanches, changes in snow levels, tides, (sand storms was a good start).  Even go as far as having a map that shape shifts periodically, switches biomes, changes elevations, submerges in the ocean, slowly or quickly changes resource locations (or the amount per node for example), or even uses the procedural generated map logic to change things on the fly (ideas of things that can be done to keep the game interesting).

3. Be more careful with OP features like "flyers",  the introduction of flyers, especially "classic" flyers, although fun in the short term, ruined PvE, it allowed us to get through the content quickly making us want more, like new maps, which we continue to get through relatively quickly and continue to want more; when will you get tired of throwing 3d models in our faces and realize that the problem isn't a lack of content? 

4. Taming is lame.  This may be a result of bad AI and overpowered "features", but for example: once you get a Quetzal, the lame and repetitive "taming" procedure of dropping animals into a taming pen, have them run in circles and stick to a wall.  This is how we ended up? :/

Alright, we all know there is a lot that can be improved with ARK.  These are some that have bothered me the most and have been ongoing since release.

Archived