So what's up with troughs?

Kytampe

So what's up with troughs?

I have three feeding troughs beside eachother. One with meat, one with fish and one with berries. Still dinos die for me all the time. starving to death. A friend of mine said that I can't have more than one trough because the dinos "latch" on to just one trough sometimes and if that is the wrong one, they'll starve to death. Is this true? And if it is true why haven't that been fixed, surely it must be considered a bug? And how can I make sure it doesn't happen again?

Never heard of it. I run 3 troughs, 8 troughs, 7 troughs, etc. on different maps.

The only starving is due to an old starve glitch. Nothing to do with troughs. I had a Quetzal die with food in several troughs and inventory. The other 11 Quetzal's were fine.

That glitch is obviously not something they can fix since it's been around as long as breeding. Could be something about render and not rendering but there's no definitive answer.

13 hours ago, Kytampe said:

So I can continue to divide up the fish, meat and berries in three troughs and if someone die's, I'll just call it Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and give praise to the devs for being realistic. ;)

Infant death? ...wondering if you are getting them to juvi? babies don't ever eat from troughs. But baby to juvie transition, I've heard you have to be online for it to register, and if you are not sometimes they don't switch to eating from their inventory to eating from troughs. E.g. you get them to 7 or 8 % and stuff their inventory and calculate that should get them to 10% but log in the next day to them having died and the trough is untouched.

You can have multiple troughs, I have I think 12 tek troughs in my breeding setup on 1 map and 6 on another. How it works generally is that your dinos will pick 1 trough to eat from at a time, So I fill 10 troughs and they will all eat from 1 until its empty then will all switch to the next. Its fine to split it up into 1 for berries 1 for meat etc.

What others have said is correct tho that sometimes (and Id stress its not an extremely common occurrence) a dino wont eat from the trough and you will need to cryo and uncryo it to get it working again. For me this has only happened with juvenile creatures (specifically gigas). It can happen if your dino was out of render and in stasis when it went from baby to juvi so its a good idea to render them for that switch.

Archived