The End of Ark Development Whats next?

Megalith

On 9/9/2020 at 2:09 AM, PhantomLegacy59 said:

ark 2 would be amazing id buy it instantly

Take that still-beaten old sportbike with the lopsided forks, blown cylinder head and multitudes of problems still existent across the board and be the company known for building yet another motorcycle while neglecting any of the problems that its predecessor had before it.

I'm sure riders would 'love' to hop on that one... Its official: wc and Harley go hand-in-hand. As long as it looks cool though, right?

6 hours ago, DeHammer said:

Whatever they do, it needs a fresh story, and an approach that was as interesting & intriguing as Ark was when released.

Fresh game mechanics and backend are needed for an Ark 2. Imagine if the game ran so well (no bugs, no griefing loopholes) that tickets were never needed.

11 hours ago, LEDminer said:

They can always use ARK as a lesson on what not to do, and improve, you know. A lot of things were improved with Atlas, they can take things further with the next title.

True. This would assume that logic and common sense were at play. If for all these years the company in question still refused to acknowledge the performance demands of the clients - I.E. players - before up and saying "Welp, that's all folks! On the the next venture!" then there isn't a single doubt in my mind that they'd actually *neglect learn this important lesson.

Not a dime from me, said this one. As per usual; once a week... I get on once a week to see if anything's changed, and make sure nothing despawns. That is all its worth for me at this moment. Much less annoyance while maintaining earned assets over time to at 'least' make me feel like I didn't waste time for literally nothing.

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, Masurao said:

Much less annoyance while maintaining earned assets over time to at 'least' make me feel like I didn't waste time for literally nothing.

In the end, it’s all just pixels. You didn’t earn or create anything. The game will stop being developed at some point and the servers will shut down.

As if hours of playing an action shooter game for months were hours wasted. You were entertained during those hours. That’s what you paid for  

If you only log on to reset timers it’s best to rip the bandaid off. It’s liberating. 

4 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

In the end, it’s all just pixels. You didn’t earn or create anything. The game will stop being developed at some point and the servers will shut down.

As if hours of playing an action shooter game for months were hours wasted. You were entertained during those hours. That’s what you paid for  

If you only log on to reset timers it’s best to rip the bandaid off. It’s liberating. 

Not entirely; time + effort = results, regardless of the platform as this is true in anything in life. Time is the equivalent of money - except worth 'much' more, dare I say priceless. I earned what I put the time and effort into taming and creating via building. Enjoyment gained from earning as you build and tame also factor into your currency, adding to your personal experience of wealth. Comparing something such as an action shooter is irrelevant, considering once you leave - you're gone. However, you are also incorrect there as well considering the fact that experience and tactics gained in such games increase your hand-eye coordination and tactical cohesion on even a realistic scale, although this is relativistic.

Its liberating enough not having to babysit and trouble myself each day with. 

• Volunteer Moderator
13 minutes ago, Masurao said:

time + effort = results

Results that are nothing more than 1s and 0s on a server. And they will all go away when the game is shutdown at some point.

Playing video games is not an investment. Not in time, not in money. 

ARK 2 = ATLAS ?. Key staff transitoned to Grape Shot. The best of the ARK MOD development competions winners/sponsored went into ATLAS.

They have announced that GENISIS is the end of the story and that it was paid DLC to keep the DEV Teams funded as they were delightfully supprised at the continumg numbers of playerbase. That equates in my mind to most likley QOL and bug fixes with maybe more community developed maps like Rag, Center, Val, Crystal etc.

Should of been a small subscription service.

6 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Results that are nothing more than 1s and 0s on a server. And they will all go away when the game is shutdown at some point.

Playing video games is not an investment. Not in time, not in money. 

Many scenarios beg to differ, along with many more that easily refute that, but I'll leave it at that; perspectives are also subjective despite fact. This explains a lot, though. Lets just agree to disagree. However, I'll just leave you to think about that last part for yourself.

2 hours ago, LEDminer said:

Correct. And if someone is making money off of selling their earned items, that's against the rules.

Ok..I'm honestly slightly surprised at how far up over a number of heads the term "investment" just went..  Either the concept is too high or its just ignored altogether. If one can only quantify the term financially then the burden placed was just too high. Either that or its simply the human condition to be tuned to agree with a specific set of individuals.

It just seems odd. I was curious but I'll admit: It threw me off a little.

5 hours ago, LEDminer said:

Well, I could have misunderstood the use of investment here.

But my point is, a game shouldn't feel like something you have dump a lot of money and time into. It should be something you have fun with. If getting to the point where you have the cool endgame stuff feels like a massive burden, then there's either a problem with the game, or the way the player looks at the game.

In other words, a good game is enjoyable at every point, or at the very least most of the time. A good game has replayability. If it's like doing mind numbing chores, it's not a good game, or suitable for said player.

Ark is a mix of both for me. Running around wrecking things with a souped up rex or blasting around the map on a tropie is fun, but some of the tasks you must perform to get the high level animals are boring or downright tedious. This game is a trade off, always has been.

On 7/30/2020 at 12:16 AM, Megalith said:

The End of Ark Development Whats next?

So this is the end of the line for Ark development so Whats the next project? is it Ark 2 and a better engine? are you guys gonna make Atlas Great again?

WHAT DOSE THE FUTURE LOOK LIKE!

LMAO, they couldn't even code a stable ARK 1

I'll never purchase another WC product.

16 hours ago, LEDminer said:

Well, I could have misunderstood the use of investment here.

But my point is, a game shouldn't feel like something you have dump a lot of money and time into. It should be something you have fun with. If getting to the point where you have the cool endgame stuff feels like a massive burden, then there's either a problem with the game, or the way the player looks at the game.

In other words, a good game is enjoyable at every point, or at the very least most of the time. A good game has replayability. If it's like doing mind numbing chores, it's not a good game, or suitable for said player.

Now you're getting it. Doesn't time factor into replayability? You feel driven to continue.  Also in ark, you'll either invest the time to gaining your assets, or you'll get instant-gratification and become bored too easily. The replayability is there, but the sustainability is not.

Now as far as what dear old VM just stated above, I'd just assumed that they were either joking or attempting a playful troll, because there is no actual way that it could be taken seriously in this age. I'm still wondering if anyone will catch it yet.

4 hours ago, darcek said:

Unplayable for me,server keep crushing and sometimes even cant connect so I left ,decent game otherwise,especially if you live in the UK where the servers are.

I think it lost context with all the posts in between, but I was talking about @DeHammer's idea for a spaceflight game.

Archived