The End of Ark Development Whats next?

Megalith

next-generation console xbox x series and Ps5 is coming soon . and you remember what happened to xbox 360 ?  the ps4 and xbox one will be obsolete soon ..its not make sense to making next version of game for current expired version of console . so the studio wildcard definitely will work on ARK2 for new consoles .probably end of 2021

I hope they are working on Ark 2 with the new unreal engine!

Also i wish they'd go more back to the roots and make Ark 2 a more dino/prehistorical game with less modern or fantasy creatures and with more primitive stuff. Sort of more cave men tribes fighting each other and dinos instead of just sniping each other with the modern sniper rifles the whole time...

• 1 month later...

I hope they are working on Ark 2 with the new unreal engine!

Also i wish they'd go more back to the roots and make Ark 2 a more dino/prehistorical game with less modern or fantasy creatures and with more primitive stuff. Sort of more cave men tribes fighting each other and dinos instead of just sniping each other with the modern sniper rifles the whole time...

I hope about the same things, but also wish for adding more stuff like RPG skills and character evolution. It's always great to have such developers or even the separate teams, which can improve gaming process by adding something new, I mean brand new ideas to the gameplay, you know. When our small development agency needed some help about implement dev practices to our project, we've found this game idea webpage from iLogos and simply analyzed all of their portfolio works, they have done. It seems like they have obtained really nice expertise and practices from their own clients - top global gaming agencies to improve any game dev project. I can highly recommend their service.

After Gen 2, I would be a bit disappointed if after only a couple weeks they said, "we released this, patched some bugs, and now we're making ARK 2". There's still a lot of improvements that could be made to the original game. Fixing bugs, more TLCs, and adding some new content to old maps would all be nice.

Also, there were a few things hinted at/announced in EA I that never made it into the actual game. I didn't play back then, but I know there was a play-as-dino thing and and tamable alphas, among other things.

Then of course, there's SotF, which is totally dead, reviving it would be a great addition. And of course, there's S+ and Prim+, which I think deserve to be merged into the game (not everything in them, but I think S+ structures might as well replace the old ones). Anyway, ARK 2 will no doubt be great, but I think that the current game shouldn't have the plug pulled too quick.

I'd rather them just work on this game and optimize it more. Ark 2 just doesn't fit the game overall IMO. There's still so much more content, that can be thought out for this game. No point in making a whole new game. This game can be great, if they can iron out the bugs, cut down on the cheating more and release content periodically.

On 7/30/2020 at 7:16 AM, Megalith said:

The End of Ark Development Whats next?

So this is the end of the line for Ark development so Whats the next project? is it Ark 2 and a better engine? are you guys gonna make Atlas Great again?

WHAT DOSE THE FUTURE LOOK LIKE!

Why are you spewing false information without anything to even back it up. Development has not been stopped.

18 minutes ago, TimeBomb2003 said:

I'm pretty sure they already added everything they wanted too. It was the homestead update.

That's not what they said at the time, they specifically said they were considering adding more S+ features in the future. It's possible that this has changed since then, but if it has I haven't seen them publish anything saying so.

1 minute ago, Joebl0w13 said:

That's developer for "we might add more stuff, if we have time after doing all the other things we need to do"

In other words, never.

I'm well aware of what "we're considering it" means in any game, not just ARK, but that's still not the same thing as officially announcing that they're not going to add any more S+ features. "Maybe but probably not" and "We're announcing that it will never happen" are two different things.

Lots of people thought they would never add anything from S+ in to the game in the first place, and yet it happened.

5 hours ago, Rio4201 said:

Actually, they are discussing it, but I'm not sure it's Ark 2.  if you follow the founders of Wildcard and read through their interviews, they want a new concept and direction using what they've learned which is only reasonable for relatively young development studio. 

Yea, I think they need something fresh... and by fresh I don't mean another re-skin of Ark with a different theme like 'pirates'. But they definitely would be idiots to not try to capitalize on what they have achieved with Ark. Whatever they do, it needs a fresh story, and an approach that was as interesting & intriguing as Ark was when released. The problem is, other companies have already taken what they've done with Ark and capitalized on it with their own take on the survival game.

I'd love to see something that combines the 'survival game' with the 'building simulation' style games. For instance, a sci-fi universe where you can salvage stuff, and build your own ships or space station out of the materials you salvage. Where the creative mode gives you maximum freedom to design, build, and test your own equipment, ships, space stations. A universe of possibilities, with endless potential for expansions, and real world laws of physics that your builds have to conform to. If you built it wrong, there's realistic consequences. No more of this "my dimorphidon ate too much and now he's too heavy to land". 

13 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

I smell No Mans Sky

Nah. No Man's Sky is good in it's own right, but it's very limited. The procedural nature is a bit dull and repetitive. NMS has aimed to be way too expansive and as a result, many worlds all feel the same. It's a good approach, but it can be done better. You can't even sell or modify your ships in NMS. Better to have a few worlds with more variance and greater challenge than an endless universe all filled with the same stuff. 

I'm thinking something that combines the modular build focused play of Mine Craft with a much more realistic universe. For all it's blockiness, Mine Craft has some great creative possibilities... like building a working computer in game. 

Think more No Man's Sky (or Ark) + Mine Craft + Kerbal Space Program.

Something that let's you imagine & build, with the only restrictions really being the natural laws of physics where you're located. Also, having some very rare and obscure materials and possible build options would be fun. For instance, compiling the materials and equipment to build a nuclear device. Don't like the gravity where you are? Fine, build a rocket ship that flies, try to get off world and find a different planet you like better. 

8 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Astroneer?

More realistic (not so cartoony), more gritty, more complex, more challenging PVE, more potential for a PVP focus if desired. But you could add that to the mix I suggested. 

Basically a new scale of game that has the potential for endlessness, but doesn't try to create it all at once, unlike NMS. 

One of the mechanics that I like in Ark is the breeding. It's somewhat predictable, but has some potential for surprises. It was interesting to learn and experiment with. It added so much to the game for me. It's a big part of what made Ark interesting. Imagine being able to build something that had that level of experimentation involved & more. For instance, being able to tweak a starship's design to achieve something beyond what other players have achieved... if you're willing to devote the time and resources. 

After 5 years I'm ready to move on. I'm pretty sure the leadership at WC will be too. 

Remember they had an idea and built a whole studio round it, clearly they are creative and also risk takers. I don't see them being happy just churning out rehashed and updated versions of Ark.

Sure Studio Wildcard could leave a team in place to develop a sequel. But for the founders I think they are driven and will want new projects 

Archived