Ark is releasing a Major Update. Its been a full year since we had QoL changes

Morikar

Okay so a big update is coming. Been a really long time since we had Quality of Life (QoL) changes. Kinda upsetting since these morons only now realized we wanted a forever x2 rates from the current original value when im pretty sure we all wanted that for YEARS. Is it at all possible to contact these people? I hardly believe they look at feedback. Otherwise theyd fix the broken boss holograms and the TEK ATV. But better late than never so i should be grateful. Now the last time they updated the game they HEAVILY broke it. So hard that it kept crashing the game on console every 20-30 mins. Of course we allow them to break vital parts time and time again and they still have not learned. So in case they break the game again. Should we actually do something to "punish" them so they stop ignoring us and or breaking the game? Theres so many things that need to be fixed and considered and they barely put a dent in any of those issues. Then it ends up breaking the game harder. I think we should band together and come to some sort of solution or suggestion as to show Wildcard were not gonna sit back and take it anymore with them breaking their own game that their charging over Triple A prices for. (Reminder this is for when they break the game during an update. Theres a low chance it might not happen but if it does i think its time we actually do something)

I would prefer they didn't touch the game. After the atrocious homestead update which introduced 3 (or was it 4) features from the S+ mod I would rather they just didn't touch the game and let the modders make it better.

Whatever TLC pass they implement will never be as good as Krakens Better Dinos.

QoL? No way will it have as many nice features as Super structures.

New dino additions? Wont ever be as good as Ark additions which also have unique taming methods which the community has wanted since EA.

Rates? Yeah you can change them through ini files.

Yes OK, the minority of people who still play official for a reason only they know get a win, but this game has so many amazing mods, with or without this update you would be mad to be playing the vanilla game. it's like buying a car with basic features and then mods add free power steering, leather seats, air con.

• Volunteer Moderator
9 minutes ago, Cobretti said:

Yes OK, the minority of people who still play official for a reason only they know get a win, but this game has so many amazing mods, with or without this update you would be mad to be playing the vanilla game.

Don't forget console players that do not have access to mods.

3 hours ago, Cobretti said:

it's like buying a car with basic features and then mods add free power steering, leather seats, air con.

I hate leather seats.

Also, I like things that are cohesive. Having a game put out by a studio and then adding non-overlapping mods from a ton of individual people that have nothing to do with the base game creates a Frankenstein monster. That's cool and all, but I specifically don't like Frankenstein monsters for... reasons.

I've been lamenting (to myself) about how Hollywood hire different directors and screenwriters for films that are part of a trilogy. It's a new, collegial "wife-swapping" trend that's all the noise. The whole movie industry is organized around that trend. Now if you compare that approach to something like the Star Wars saga, where up until a point George Lucas was heavily involved in every part of every movie, or Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin, or Lord of the Rings by Tolkien, there's something to be said about universes that are fully spun out of a single individual's imagination. Surely there was influences, but these guys made the whole universe and all the stories within it. The upside of that approach is that the artist's genius permeates every part of the universe. The drawkback is that the artist's quirks also permeate the whole universe. What you end up with, though, is something way more distinct.

You can apply that logic to a company too. It's a spectrum. A single individual is better than ten. Ten individuals is better than a hundred. A hundred individuals is better than a thousand. Too many chefs, etc. I thoroughly believe the best stories and the best immersive experiences are those that are handcrafted by the least amount of people. Those are the least homogenized experiences, and those are the types of experiences I find the most interesting.

So I actually play vanilla because all the things you think are great, are things I despise or at the very least, dislike. It's not just because I don't know any better or because I'm dumb. There's like six QoL fixes I need to the game to never complain about anything, otherwise everything else can be controlled with settings. I don't need everything from Structures plus. I don't want the dino scanning transmitter. That kills the exploration aspect of the game, and the thrill of suddenly coming over something high level and great. It cheapens the experience for me. I also think a lot of the more aesthetic mods are irrelevant to gameplay. Sure you can make nice castles, but then... That's why it's a mod and not a core game feature. Most people, I think, won't be making pretty castles as their primary objective in the game.

6 hours ago, Morikar said:

Okay so a big update is coming. Been a really long time since we had Quality of Life (QoL) changes. Kinda upsetting since these morons only now realized we wanted a forever x2 rates from the current original value when im pretty sure we all wanted that for YEARS. Is it at all possible to contact these people? I hardly believe they look at feedback. Otherwise theyd fix the broken boss holograms and the TEK ATV. But better late than never so i should be grateful. Now the last time they updated the game they HEAVILY broke it. So hard that it kept crashing the game on console every 20-30 mins. Of course we allow them to break vital parts time and time again and they still have not learned. So in case they break the game again. Should we actually do something to "punish" them so they stop ignoring us and or breaking the game? Theres so many things that need to be fixed and considered and they barely put a dent in any of those issues. Then it ends up breaking the game harder. I think we should band together and come to some sort of solution or suggestion as to show Wildcard were not gonna sit back and take it anymore with them breaking their own game that their charging over Triple A prices for. (Reminder this is for when they break the game during an update. Theres a low chance it might not happen but if it does i think its time we actually do something)

And how exactly you imagine this "punishment"?

Stop playing? Apart from few of your friends no one will even notice.

DDOSing or crashing servers, using cheats or capping dino limit would have no effect on WC, only players would suffer.

Even if you convince everyone on this forum, it's just a small fraction of playerbase and if you go from server to server telling people to boycott the game that will just get you banned.

8 minutes ago, deedoubleu said:

And how exactly you imagine this "punishment"?

Stop playing? Apart from few of your friends no one will even notice.

DDOSing or crashing servers, using cheats or capping dino limit would have no effect on WC, only players would suffer.

Even if you convince everyone on this forum, it's just a small fraction of playerbase and if you go from server to server telling people to boycott the game that will just get you banned.

Well, that could be one thing. I am not neccesarily at the point where I wanna start punishing, but just for the sake of discussing how one could do that, I think you pretty much nailed it with your first suggestion.

Stop playing. Be truthful, constructive and politically correct in the way you state your reasoning. Walk the thin line between what you're allowed to say and what you want to say, to get the message across in a way that you cannot be penalized for doing. You do have freedom of speech. If they try to ban you for it, that would surely fuel the fire. I think, if a few players started an initiative, and the game company tried to step on them, that would just rally more people to their cause. But it would mean not actually playing the game, but instead spending your time making connections, talking to people, campaigning. It would take a special kind of person to be able to do it. By the time the campaign was a success, which is far from given, the game might have a year left of its lifespan anyhow, and may or may not be supported any longer. So I don't see a point to actually spending your time that way. There are other avenues where you could do the same and actually have something to show for it. Ie the political world.

But the devil in me enjoys the notion. I personally think WC should opt for a different public relations model, but I don't think they're anything especially bad or worthy of punishment.

25 minutes ago, Fresiki said:

Walk the thin line between what you're allowed to say and what you want to say

That's pretty much all I do here.

But in this particular case I'm on WC side. For example, rates and flyers lift off was discussed a lot and I argued in favor of what is finally coming next QOL update. I can't be annoyed by getting what I was asking for.

I played Wow for years. Say what you want about Blizzard, but there were never any long-standing problems that everyone knew about that they refused to address. They might have made decisions people disagreed with, but I can't remember there being bugs that existed for years on end without acknowledgment. I guess that's spoiled me a bit,but I would love to hear WC chime in on stuff, even if it's stuff I'd occasionally disagree with or be frustrated by. 

7 hours ago, LEDminer said:

Pointless rant. Sorry to say this.

They are giving us a QoL update, for free, and you only complain. You're like the middle aged single mothers who yell at their local Walmart because a year old coupon is declined.

Have respect, they could just abandon the game once they are done with Gen2. What would say then?

You cant argue with incompetence lol ... most people with opinions on what devs do and dont do havent the SLIGHTEST clue what it takes to run and maintain a video game. Tossing out opinions on what could be done whilst working at the local Mcdonalds lolol....but I guess every game has to have its complainers right. I think your walmart comment is pretty much spot on with this one.

8 hours ago, LEDminer said:

They are giving us a QoL update, for free, and you only complain. You're like the middle aged single mothers who yell at their local Walmart because a year old coupon is declined.

Have respect, they could just abandon the game once they are done with Gen2. What would say then?

They should abandon the game. They keep breaking it. And QoL for free? Their supposed to do it for free you moron. Because some of these QoL include some bug fixes and which you dont charge people for. Not to mention their hardly adding any new content. Their readjusting old content which isnt grounds for charging money for. You can say what you wish but imo they WILL abandon the game when gen 2 comes out cause they know they suck and they know theyd make the game worse. If you dont wanna help thats fine but dont come at me. all you had to say was "pointless rant" and leave it at that. 

9 hours ago, LEDminer said:

I thought everything ends after genesis 2? Since they said it is the "epic conclusion"?

49 minutes ago, LEDminer said:

Yes, the story ends. But I still believe that they will keep working on the game seeing how popular it is. So new unofficial maps, TLCs and bugfixes are examples of what to expect.

It is hard to imagine how/ whether this game will last without new contents.
Who knows? maybe  it will even be better when the focus is shifted from chasing DLC deadlines to bug fixing

14 hours ago, Morikar said:

Actually the original value was 1. Then they DOUBLED it made it ezmode and recently they're getting doubled again.

So were at 4x now, how much easier do you want it? The major changes in the right direction were the maturation / incubation changes for specific dinos.  This is a huge step towards a more balanced environment.  I dont feel putting rates to permanent 4x is doing *anything* except making it more laggy. 

This was a bad move on their part. Unfortunate that any new ARK players will have to play on 4x spoiling their experience with it being so easy.

They should have focused more on fixing the major issues, when they just throw double rates at people to appease the whiners they just keep digging the hole deeper and deeper. Now every 2x weekend will be 8x.... that special donation event will be x16??? Where are the people who cry about unofficial servers again? Real ARK is becoming one.

You'd better watch out. The power creep just got way bigger. Think those certain tribes who rule official ARK are bad now? The rwt sellers? You just gave them permanent 4x.

3 hours ago, LEDminer said:

Exactly. Since there will be no new content (aside from mod maps, but modders do the bulk of the work on those) the team left with ARK will have time to work on the older content. We may even see fixes to bugs that have been in the game since day one.

Will be nice if it happens, too bad though that the old players have lost the chance of experiencing new content in a relatively bug free environment forever.

Everyone i knew wanted lower rates. The only people that want higher rates are PvErs...Yet again PvPers have to suffer for PvE changes since PvErs play solo or in a group of 2 or 3 instead of a group of 6 or 10 or even 50 and so on. Things are easier if you work as a team higher rates just poop on team work.

5 hours ago, SlipperySquid said:

Everyone i knew wanted lower rates. The only people that want higher rates are PvErs...Yet again PvPers have to suffer for PvE changes since PvErs play solo or in a group of 2 or 3 instead of a group of 6 or 10 or even 50 and so on. Things are easier if you work as a team higher rates just poop on team work.

The change was implemented because pvp more than likely. Like most updates and nerfs.

7 hours ago, SlipperySquid said:

PvE has suffered way more to appease PvP crying so carry on with that nonsense. 

On 7/29/2020 at 10:06 PM, LEDminer said:

Console can't get mods, as @invincibleqc said. Console players constantly ask for mod support and this is the best they can offer. Also, the whole "let modders finish the game" thing is frowned upon, I know that from a certain 2D space exploration game...

Still, having things in the vanilla game reduces the amount of mods needed. And once again, official and console players don't have access to mods so they benefit.

I don't play officials, but even then I do think that these patches are good for the game and playerbase. The world doesn't revolve around you, Karen.

Yeah but that's my point, every time WC port a mod into the base game they mess it up, eg I provided, homstead. I would rather they just don't touch it because they ported S+, hired the dev that built it and the community lost lost S+ support and got a crappy port. Thankfully someone took the open source and kept developing under super structures.

Yes I forgot about console players, mea cupla, I should be more empathetic towards them as not everyone can afford a gaming PC.

Archived