Ark nice attempt at balance...but...was it meaningful?

CamCam123

Ark nice attempt at balance...but...was it meaningful?

As we know Ark announced yesterday new balances on upcoming update.  Reading through it it just leads me to believe that  Ark still miss the mark on PVE updates. These updates are mostly for PVP as usual. Which is why people are constantly upset with Ark devs. 

Lets talk about the good updates just not to be that one Ark fan who only talks B$ about Ark and be as fair/Objective as possible. 

Main changes coming up:

2x gathering will be the new Gathering normal Rates. But what does that mean? only gathering! This doesn't mean rates on Breeding.

Some dinos will have new Breeding timers. But that doesn't mean they are all decreasing in time.

RAW Metal Stacks now to 300.  Don't know how important that is but is worth mentioning if that decreases the weight in general. 

Now with that being said the rest of the updates (at least the ones they mentioned) are only for PVP.

There was 0 for PVE official. 

What they didn't talk about for PVE official:

1. No talks on being able to transfer element on PVE.

2. No talks on upgrades for chat.

3. No talks about boss fixes like making the manticore not a ghost object to trap it so it doesn't glitch and get stuck on the air (for both Valguero, Scorched earth, and Ragnarok maps). (only thing mentioned  was adding  time on Valguero Boss)

4. No talks on hud improvements. 

It is kinna interesting to see how most of these changes if you think about it don't really change things. Is more like throwing a bone with barely meat on it to a hungry dog. 

As far as meaningful 2x being the new normal isn't that big of a change. It helps but I think people where expecting like me at least 2x on everything to the bare minimum including breeding.

Decreasing dinos to be hand fed for 17 hours(yuti time) isn't much help. Also, it is clear that they are also planning to increase timers on other dinos...which is awful. 

Things I am glad about:

Ark Genesis part 2 coming to an end in march 2021. Honestly, I am just glad because Ark's story ends. This story was bad since the start. Is poorly told on ALL maps and worst of all it was never meaningful to the game experience. The fact that it ends is a good thing. That way they can focus on other more important things like adding new structures on ark for Aesthetic purposes for PVE or maybe some additional meaningful changes like adding content which makes life easier as a breeder. 

Though Ark has had a rocky ride it is fair to say that it has done a decent job not to sink this  great idea as a game. They have done enough to keep this game relevant and fun. I mean, if Atlas was just an added DLC to ARk that would of actually been a much better experience lol  

STILL...WHY IS PVE OFFICIAL CONSTANTLY IGNORED??? o.O 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Volunteer Moderator

None were for PVE, all were specifically for PVP?

Let's take the General changes first... i've highlighted ones that can easily be for PVE and not just PVP.

- Flying creatures will prioritise picking up friendly-creatures rather than dismounting friendly riders
- Baby Creatures will no longer auto-wander when hatched
- Mounting a flying creature will no longer instantly cause it to take off
- Cryopods in a player’s inventory will now charge if a player is sleeping in a TEK Pod.
- TEK Helm will now provide players with the Gas Mask bonus, protecting them from the Poison Wyvern and Basilisk spit.
- TEK Turrets now require double the amount of shards per bullet
-
Metal Ingot stack size has been increased to 300
- Raw Metal stack size has been increased to 300 - Spoil time on Lesser Antidote has been increased to 3 days
- Spoil time on Prime Meat and Prime Fish have doubled
- Gasbags will no longer push Dinos around in PVE when landing to prevent griefing and exploits
- HLNA and Chibi Creatures no longer disable the protection against Bees buff.
- Yell and Whisper can now switch between the following modifier keys on PC: Left Shift, Left Ctrl, and Left Alt
-
Added an additional 15 seconds to all race missions on Xbox and PS4
- Added Event Emotes to the Hex Store at the cost of 50,000 hexagons
- Boss Fight timer on Valguero has increased from 20 minutes to 30 minutes.
- We are also adding a configurable GameUserSettings.ini which allows server hosts to limit the amount of gateways that can be placed on platform saddles. This configuration is not retroactive, so applying this change will require some manual administration work to clear up any pre-existing platforms that exceed the limit.

Even the ones I didn't highlight are not PVP specific.

10 hours ago, GP said:

None were for PVE, all were specifically for PVP?

Let's take the General changes first... i've highlighted ones that can easily be for PVE and not just PVP.

Even the ones I didn't highlight are not PVP specific.

I said meaningful. 

None of those changes make any difference in the great scheme of things.

Even if those had not been change no one would care.

Meaningful pve things people want....example:

Thyla being able to go to boss fights.

Element being transferable.

Carrying wild dinos.

Chat improvements.

Faster maturation on dinos. (18 hours still a long freaking time for baby stages).

Nothing is really changing on pve.

Perhaps the only "meaningful addition " is a 300 metal raw stack. But it might not matter if the weight is not reduced.

Everything  else is...useless.

People already beat the valguero boss solo on alpha with less time. So adding time...meaningless.

As far as tek gear improvements...not important but cool. At least there is a reason to use it now I guess.

1 hour ago, CamCam123 said:

I said meaningful. 

Even if those had not been change no one would care.

Meaningful pve things people want....example:

Thyla being able to go to boss fights.

Element being transferable.

Carrying wild dinos.

Chat improvements.

Faster maturation on dinos. (18 hours still a long freaking time for baby stages).

Nothing is really changing on pve.

Perhaps the only "meaningful addition " is a 300 metal raw stack. But it might not matter if the weight is not reduced.

Everything  else is...useless.

People already beat the valguero boss solo on alpha with less time. So adding time...meaningless.

As far as tek gear improvements...not important but cool. At least there is a reason to use it now I guess.

Not meaningful to you. 

They can't seperate maturation between PvP and PvE since it is at a dino level. Yuty's and Tuso's are very important in PvP. They need to be a time consuming raise. 

Blame trolls for not being able to carry wild dino's. It's especially helpful now with the introduction of the skiff unless you want people dropping Alpha Wyv's and Golem's as well as corrupted in your base all the time. 

Thyla in boss fight is not meaningful to me.

Element being transferred is not meaningful to me.

Chat improvements, not meaningful to me.

300 stack of metal and ingots. Yes, thank you. Tek leggings means the weight is inconsequential. Karkino's means the weight is inconsequential.

I actually like the changes. They are quite helpful with how I want to play this game. 

• Volunteer Moderator

17 hours ago, CamCam123 said:

Now with that being said the rest of the updates (at least the ones they mentioned) are only for PVP.

There was 0 for PVE official.

You may have stuck the word meaningful in there a few times, but you clearly were saying there were no PVE updates.

So if you insist on sticking with your claim you mean only "meaningful PVE" updates, then what you truly mean is that they haven't any updates that YOU want, which is entirely different.

What is meaningful to one is not meaningful to another.

Now, if you want to transfer element on official then you can already, just get yourself a Dust Gacha and transfer the dust. Now I know you'll whinge because it takes forever to convert Dust to Element in your inventory, but a more meaningful update would be to allow conversion of Dust to Element in the Tek Replicator to speed it up.

But asking for Element to be transferred on PVE is just asking for easy mode, when you can technically already do it.

I for one do not want easy element transfer on PVE, I'd rather have a quick conversion method as I suggested.

So which of those suggestions, mine or yours is meaningful? Neither are more or less meaningful than each other. But your issue is they didn't make changes that you personally wanted, but you turned the complaint into making it sound like all the changes were for PVP only.

@CamCam123 What are you talking about? Yes some of changes has value almost exclusively for PVP but most of them is good change for PVE too. For example:

• Increased harvesting, taming, and XP
  • Reduced maturation for 11 creatures
  • Larger stack for metal/ingots
  • TEK Helm acting as gas mask
  • Longer spoiled time for prime meat and Lesser Antidote
  • reduced weight for Dunkleosteus
  • Carno's improved attack
  • Basilosaurus' better depth endurance

On 7/29/2020 at 7:38 AM, Graviphoton said:

@CamCam123 What are you talking about? Yes some of changes has value almost exclusively for PVP but most of them is good change for PVE too. For example:

• Increased harvesting, taming, and XP
  • Reduced maturation for 11 creatures
  • Larger stack for metal/ingots
  • TEK Helm acting as gas mask
  • Longer spoiled time for prime meat and Lesser Antidote
  • reduced weight for Dunkleosteus
  • Carno's improved attack
  • Basilosaurus' better depth endurance

I think we are on agreement that some changes are good. But They dont improve anything really for pve. Specially if you already have the endgame stuff. Even if you are a new player this will not make you tame a carno when taming a rex is just as easy and is more powerful. Reducing maturation for things that take nearly a day to 70% of a day isnt much help either if we are honest. The Bigger stacks and dunkle obsidian reduction are probably the best news...but it also doesn't improve the Quality of life either when you have magmas, gasbags, and dinos that carry a lot of weight.

• Increased harvesting, taming, and XP>>>>>>>GOOD. We can agree on this.
  • Reduced maturation for 11 creatures>>>>>>> 18 hours is still a long time (dont know if going from 30 hours to 18 hours makes any difference to be honest)
  • Larger stack for metal/ingots>>>>>>>>>>>>> This is good.
  • TEK Helm acting as gas mask>>>>>>>>>>>>> Making useful tek i not bad. Though is kinna late to be honest. But better late than never, am i right? ? 
  • Longer spoiled time for prime meat and Lesser Antidote>>> doesn't change much or is an improvement to be honest. (kinna makes salt  useless now if you think about it)
  • reduced weight for Dunkleosteus>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Best news so far...but...who doesnt carry an anky with a Q for this and is much more efficient.
  • Carno's improved attack>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Doesn't change the fact that is useless let be honest. 
  • Basilosaurus' better depth endurance>>>>>>> They are so slow that no one uses them after they tame a mosa or a Squid. 

So my point is not to poop on ark....but these are honestly more changes that affect pve indirectly and more meaningful to PVP.  This changes make sense for pvp. They want people to have dinos that are easy to tame that are not completely garbage so that if people lose them they don't quit and move to pve. However, even this changes don't make PVP less toxic lol Is a man eat man world pvp...and toxic. lol

Tbh man you just want easy mode - i dont want any easy breeding.

It is supposed to take time...if you dont like it then go unofficial or single player. Having a Tuso on the same time as a Yuty is not good as the Tuso is supposed to be like a Giga imo - but as ppl already said: what is good for one can be bad for another.

Increased taming and all: well idc much at all because i come from the days where it was OLD 1x and we still managed to build a base and tame stuff :)

The only thing that really annoys me is the fact that you cant feed the Antidote to your Dino anymore - thinking already about new strategies for Master Controller :D

On 7/29/2020 at 11:41 AM, CamCam123 said:

I said meaningful. 

Agreed. In fact some of the changes are just a complete detriment NOT QOL. Wild Card has really dropped the ball on this one. What a complete and utter fail of a release.
40% reduction on element, all the nerfs to hex, they have basically made the paid dlc we just bought USELESS.

This is NOT a qol release, nothing short of complete incompetence by wild card staff who need to be fired. Particularly the product manager who is responsible for every failure to date. Lets talk about him failing to add character backups to the game. When is this person going to be fired!

13 minutes ago, MostSpy said:

Agreed. In fact some of the changes are just a complete detriment NOT QOL. Wild Card has really dropped the ball on this one. What a complete and utter fail of a release.
40% reduction on element, all the nerfs to hex, they have basically made the paid dlc we just bought USELESS.

This is NOT a qol release, nothing short of complete incompetence by wild card staff who need to be fired. Particularly the product manager who is responsible for every failure to date. Lets talk about him failing to add character backups to the game. When is this person going to be fired!

40% reduction is stupid on shards. I've only just started on genesis so only just started farming it. I think people went crazy in the x4 event with it so everyone is gonna loose out that starts playing genesis now to the nerf. Think it's back to extinction until they nerf that too

1 minute ago, roach148 said:

40% reduction is stupid on shards. I've only just started on genesis so only just started farming it. I think people went crazy in the x4 event with it so everyone is gonna loose out that starts playing genesis now to the nerf. Think it's back to extinction until they nerf that too

Its the 2nd time they have nerfed it now, i think the previous nerf was somewhere around 50% too. its a bloody joke, they sell a map with element then make it useless.. so everyone goes back to extinction I guess. RIP genesis

What does "meaningful" mean? I think longer spoil times, extra stacking, new tek helm feature, dunky weight reduction, and basi depth endurance (really @CamCam123? Plenty of people use them after they get a mosa and squid, a mosa is useless in caves full of jellies, and a tuso gets stuff stuck in it's body) are "meaningful."

• Volunteer Moderator
4 minutes ago, Ivanplatinum said:

Another question is, now there is x2, but i pick up 2 Stones where do they have double the rates? if i yesterday farmed more material than today? 

2016 x1 - 1 Stone then double it 1 stone, and now double it and we still pick up on x2 2 Stones? xD If there is x4 we need to pick up on x2 8 stones or minimum 4!

As the Crunch states the rate changes will occur on the next MAJOR patch, this patch was a minor version.

A - FYI the term Quality of Life has a specific meaning in game design, it's a very small and unassuming change to something incidental, like the ability to toggle between Fahrenheit and Celsius temperatures on the hud. So a change to the rates would be a significant design shift and wouldn't be related to Quality of Life changes.

B - Relevant is totally subjective. Element transfer and chat upgrades would be wholly irrelevant to me as I play single player and dont connect maps. Whereas 2x gathering boost to base rate WOULD be relevant to me as I prefer the original rates and now I have to modify all my profiles. (Which is stupid since the while point of having a base rate is being able to never change it and change only the rates based off it, but i digress...)

You've confused your subjective preferences for objective improvements.

8 hours ago, Unununium86 said:

Tbh man you just want easy mode - i dont want any easy breeding.

It is supposed to take time...if you dont like it then go unofficial or single player. Having a Tuso on the same time as a Yuty is not good as the Tuso is supposed to be like a Giga imo - but as ppl already said: what is good for one can be bad for another.

Increased taming and all: well idc much at all because i come from the days where it was OLD 1x and we still managed to build a base and tame stuff :)

The only thing that really annoys me is the fact that you cant feed the Antidote to your Dino anymore - thinking already about new strategies for Master Controller :D

I don't know if its easy mode after playing 13k hours on official pve/pvp that I want. If that is what you are suggesting. 

As 13k hour player starting when gigas where breed before tek and the baby stage was even longer than what it was before the update, when raptors were actually meaningful to tame, and when the pteradon was the most important flying dino in ark, seeing the ark devs not pay attention to Content rather than practically forcing a grind

(some people find the grind fun not going to lie but is a very Asian thing...reason why a lot of the best breeders are usually Asian/Russian)

to the general public when is only 2 groups that enjoy not sleeping in ark is pretty remarkable on pve official. 

Speaking of pve:

How hard is to Make the Manticore land?

How hard is it to allow people to carry wild dinoson pve? (i mean, am I the only one that finds  ridiculous seen a map full of traps blocking spawns for new people just because  "we can't carry dinos because? too easy? And making 10 freaking walls or 5 metal gates too hard?" Seriously? LMAO

In exchange we rather block map and resources because too easy? because why not make 10 walls 8 stone foundations or 5 gates is soooo hard. hmmm 

How hard is to make element transferable for PVE? and if not what is the reason behind it? I honestly believe there is no good reason to not allow element to be transferable on PVE. I think is that they use one system to make big changes and they would have to get out of their way to actually do what is best for PVE. Which they rarely do even though there are about the same number of players in pve official. 

How hard is it to block source nodes so that people don't build over them? 

To  this day in PVE official PC we still see [][][][] tribes (asian or russian) build over charging nodes on official. To this day we see [][][] tribes cheat brining Reapers to Crystal isles on official (devs if you are watching this go to Server official PVE Crystal isles on PVE on pc and go to the green oby in 876). 

Also, adding time to Valguero boss instead of adjusting the MAnticore is the laziest thing i have ever seen from them. Like, "here 5 more minutes because is to hard to write a command on a computer to not make the Manticore a not ghost object so you can get it stuck with your rexes" lol 

2 minutes ago, deedoubleu said:

It's the opposite actually.

I love tusos, but they are still broken in so many ways that I find myself using basilos more than I use tuso.

interesting to hear some people use basilos. not many thought. too slow and not 1/3rd as powerful on official as the tuso for sure. But people have their preferences. 

14 minutes ago, CamCam123 said:

interesting to hear some people use basilos. not many thought. too slow and not 1/3rd as powerful on official as the tuso for sure. But people have their preferences. 

Not everyone goes for the strongest and best. Take PvP for example. Sniping has less than a 5% impact on winning a fight these days outside of a 1v1 and despite this you see in the massive wars tribes losing day in day out because they got sniper heroes instead of being a builder simulator or riding tanky/higher damage creatures.

19 minutes ago, CamCam123 said:

On 2 official PC pve servers I spent enough time to be able to judge it's not just some people use it. it's all about basilos.

On paper tuso has higher base damage. But. It has slower attack and still can't hit enemies that got too close. Smaller aquatics can simply swim inside your head and keep attacking you while you can't hit them back or even swim away. Higher damage doesn't play out since you need to change position all the time to prevent getting trapped while basilo can attack with whole body, even its ass. Also you have to waste time manually turning after tuso got bored and decided it's time to change direction in the middle of a fight.

Can't grab to heal or inflict torpor on pve.

Bugged taming - sometimes tuso won't release your tame until it's dead. Basilo tamed passively.

Basilo is immune to eels, jelly fish and grabs.Gives insulation. Regens faster.

C'mon, tuso was nerfed down to the role of nostalgic/vanity tame, nowhere near aquatic-giga it was a long time ago.

2 minutes ago, Castlerock said:
48 minutes ago, CamCam123 said:

I also prefer using basilos, i find them more stronger and better suited for fighting like in caverns of lost faith compared to tusos.

Ark Basi melee: 47

Ark tuso melee: 65

So... strongest i dont think so. 

Even in caves unless the tuso doesnt fit a whale is at more danger to get stuck in things too. specially when is surrounded by smaller dinos  with small hit boxes. It has happened to me many times too. Only difference is that Tuso can force glitch much easier now after the head fix on a previews update. 

Archived