TLC 3 Massive Disappointments

Scribelord

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/29/2020 at 3:13 PM, StaceyMalibu said:

TLC 3 WAS MOVED TO DECEMBER-ISH, X-MAS.

I haven't seen this anywhere, but if it's true, I really hope it will be more than two. I don't want to be "that person" who always complains about what the developers do, but if this is true, there better be more than two creatures. Why would they delay it for just two things? Hopefully we'll get at least four or five. Everything in caves is terrible, same with everything underwater. The only exceptions would be megalainia (still weak, but it looks nice and climbs well), megalosaurus (only on Aberration), and basilosaurus. Onyc function the same as dimorphodons, but why use them instead when the latter is so much easier? Arthropleura look good, but they have really weird mouthpieces. 

5 hours ago, DodoRaptor said:

I haven't seen this anywhere, but if it's true, I really hope it will be more than two. I don't want to be "that person" who always complains about what the developers do, but if this is true, there better be more than two creatures. Why would they delay it for just two things? Hopefully we'll get at least four or five. Everything in caves is terrible, same with everything underwater. The only exceptions would be megalainia (still weak, but it looks nice and climbs well), megalosaurus (only on Aberration), and basilosaurus. Onyc function the same as dimorphodons, but why use them instead when the latter is so much easier? Arthropleura look good, but they have really weird mouthpieces. 

Honestly they could do a whole TLC just for cave creatures and it would work since so many need updates.

Araneo is the number 1 for certain and that's the second creature I hope is actually getting a TLC

The others would be Onyc which definitely needs a new model abilities and resize, Megalania which needs the same as the Onyc, Arthropleura needs a new redesign badly and Pulmonoscorpius could get a grab attack

2 minutes ago, Scribelord said:

Honestly they could do a whole TLC just for cave creatures and it would work since so many need updates.

Araneo is the number 1 for certain and that's the second creature I hope is actually getting a TLC

The others would be Onyc which definitely needs a new model abilities and resize, Megalania which needs the same as the Onyc, Arthropleura needs a new redesign badly and Pulmonoscorpius could get a grab attack

Yeah. Arthropleura were made with PvP raiding use in mind, but they can't take any sort of beating, and on a server without PvP, they do pretty terrible damage to non-structures. Pulmonoscorpius were made as a decently tough to tame dino that could be used to help kibble tame rexes, but now you can just use yuties for literally any kibble tame. Onyc and araneo were made as cave based swarmers which were just casually turned into tamable creatures without getting good abilities. I think the rock drake really took away from the megalaina, since they're much stronger, glide, and can turn invisible. Although I don't think they need a redesign compared to some others. I also find it odd that they can be carried by tapejaras, pteranodons, and griffins, when they're about as big as sabertooths. And weirdly, all three creatures (megalainia, griffin, and snow owl) that have issues attacking wild dinos have white colored floating damage numbers.

And then there's boas. They could kibble tame three good dinos, and for an old creature, look fairly good (not counting their weird, hideous frills). I'm not an extinct snake expert, but I'm pretty sure they were bigger IRL. If I could, I'd make them rarer, put them only in swamps, not caves, remove their venom, make them big and rideable, lose the frills, and give them genders. They would have three attacks, a significantly buffed bite, an instakill swallow for small creatures, only works when they're food has drained a certain amount, it would fill up the food bar back up too, and a hiss that's just to intimidate. Anything swallowed would have it's inventory or special loot transferred to the boas inventory. 

6 hours ago, DodoRaptor said:

Yeah. Arthropleura were made with PvP raiding use in mind, but they can't take any sort of beating, and on a server without PvP, they do pretty terrible damage to non-structures. Pulmonoscorpius were made as a decently tough to tame dino that could be used to help kibble tame rexes, but now you can just use yuties for literally any kibble tame. Onyc and araneo were made as cave based swarmers which were just casually turned into tamable creatures without getting good abilities. I think the rock drake really took away from the megalaina, since they're much stronger, glide, and can turn invisible. Although I don't think they need a redesign compared to some others. I also find it odd that they can be carried by tapejaras, pteranodons, and griffins, when they're about as big as sabertooths. And weirdly, all three creatures (megalainia, griffin, and snow owl) that have issues attacking wild dinos have white colored floating damage numbers.

And then there's boas. They could kibble tame three good dinos, and for an old creature, look fairly good (not counting their weird, hideous frills). I'm not an extinct snake expert, but I'm pretty sure they were bigger IRL. If I could, I'd make them rarer, put them only in swamps, not caves, remove their venom, make them big and rideable, lose the frills, and give them genders. They would have three attacks, a significantly buffed bite, an instakill swallow for small creatures, only works when they're food has drained a certain amount, it would fill up the food bar back up too, and a hiss that's just to intimidate. Anything swallowed would have it's inventory or special loot transferred to the boas inventory. 

I completely forgot about boas but very true,

Honestly nobody goes into caves to tame so their generally forgotten about but a Cave TLC could fix alot of them up, I really hate the arthropleuras face personally, it just looks derpy with the bizzare stalk eyes and extremely stubby fangs

I'm disappointed they are turning the carno into an "almost as good" allo, which is much more accessible as a tame. It's a major slap in the face to the allo and the ravager for "bleed matters" applications. If the carno now gets a bleed, the ravager should no longer lose it when tamed.

They also need to do a balance pass on the two bleed mechanics and make them both damage bosses, or at least world bosses. The inconsistency is hugely confusing.

The current state of cave critters (araneo, arthro, boa, onyc, megalania) and the megalodon are also pretty embarrassing given how prevalent these creatures are on the various maps/caves/oceans. I would have thought they would be a priority for TLC given how much they stand out as being unloved and obsolete.

42 minutes ago, DodoRaptor said:

This sounds like an awful idea. The point of a TLC is making them not be "same feature creatures." Also many players tame a sabertooth before a wolf or thyla, they can be easier. I don't think forcing them out of the game is a good idea, if you don't want to tame them, don't tame them. 

That is the thing tho. What can they do to a dilo/ compy to make them worth while with-out giving them a feature that is close or exactly the same as other creatures out there already? This is the same thing as a thylo what can a wolf/saber get for an update to make them unique enough to tame them over a thylo? They already did stuff for the wolf and IMO it is deemed useless. 

At some point developer time investment has to mean something here. A good example is Survival of the fittest they scratched that idea because it did not take off since it only had a few 1000 playing they deemed it a failed project. If a creature receives a half assed TLC patch is that not a waste of developer time as well. The carno fits this catigory of time wasted because it just got the same feature as other creatures already have and to try and make it a relevant creature worth breeding they gave it 10% bleed. 10% bleed is INSANE. What is the giga or alo pack bleed %?

I guess if the Saber received some sort of zoid like tek gear equipment then sure it could be unique and relevant but there is no small TLC change they can make so they are different in any meaningful way from the thylo with any current TLC we have seen from other creatures.

Just for zoid reference if you have no idea what zoids are <3.

image.thumb.png.aaecfb16b3306299707876a343fdef39.png

1 hour ago, SlipperySquid said:

That is the thing tho. What can they do to a dilo/ compy to make them worth while with-out giving them a feature that is close or exactly the same as other creatures out there already? This is the same thing as a thylo what can a wolf/saber get for an update to make them unique enough to tame them over a thylo? They already did stuff for the wolf and IMO it is deemed useless. 

At some point developer time investment has to mean something here. A good example is Survival of the fittest they scratched that idea because it did not take off since it only had a few 1000 playing they deemed it a failed project. If a creature receives a half assed TLC patch is that not a waste of developer time as well. The carno fits this catigory of time wasted because it just got the same feature as other creatures already have and to try and make it a relevant creature worth breeding they gave it 10% bleed. 10% bleed is INSANE. What is the giga or alo pack bleed %?

I guess if the Saber received some sort of zoid like tek gear equipment then sure it could be unique and relevant but there is no small TLC change they can make so they are different in any meaningful way from the thylo with any current TLC we have seen from other creatures.

Just for zoid reference if you have no idea what zoids are <3.

You are forgetting that Ark is a progression-based game. Especially in PVE when you don't need to follow a clear "best route" to expedited leveling (unlike PVP). But expedited leveling requires a lot of experience in-game.

The dilo is the first combat tame a player can get (especially a novice player), and its relevant in packs to keep newer players safe as they fledge. They don't need to be relevant in the end-game, for them to be relevant to the game itself.

Sabertooth is a similar creature. It's an easy tame that has relevant chitin gathering ability for the early player. So its useful for a bit and then gets obsolete and that's fine. Even when it comes to apex creatures there are clearly some creatures more relevant than the others (eg rex vs allo).

There is utterly nothing wrong with progression-relevant tames in addition to end-game relevant tames. The real issues are the tames with no role at all: e.g. megalodon (effectively outclassed by amphibians like the baryonyx and TLC sarco), or even worse mesopithicus, jerboa, etc.

I do, however think adding bleed to the carno is a problem since it sort of depricates the allo and its a giant slap in the face to the ravager. They need to re-balance bleed entirely and give it uniform applicability. The "extra unique" bleed that can hit bosses on the deino is rubbish. Is the allo just a joke?

On 7/28/2020 at 5:53 PM, Alchemy said:

I too am a little disappointed but honestly, take into consideration what is going on right now. I dont do the EXACT same job as a developer but I work as a database administrator and with COVID19 going on, having to work at home with LESS resources its really hard. We are lucky we even got 2 creatures remodeled in this TLC. Could they have picked more useful dinos? sure, but its not like its the last one so just try and be a little more patient my fellow survivors!!!

What makes you think it's not the last one? I'm convinced it is. I'm convinced they only did it because way back when they did the other ones they "promised" a TLC3, I think this is their way of just trying to get it out of the way and then they don't have to do any more.

SUPER disappointed as well about it only being 2 creatures. I'd rather they delayed it more and then included more creatures - like it's been 2 years! Almost 2.5 years - a few more months would do no difference. This is more a slap in the face showing how little they care about the TLCs and just want them over and done with. It reinforces my belief this is the last one (but I'd be ecstatic to be wrong!)

The buffs that already came out are more like tuning and nothing of rework so I don't count that at all in the same category as a TLC. Damn. I need to reiterate how disappointed I am. It'd almost be better if they didn't do it at all at this rate.

On 7/28/2020 at 7:07 PM, yekrucifixion187 said:

Jumping the gun since you have no idea which creatures are getting a full TLC or what it entails. Discounting the minor TLC's is also mind blowing.

The Dunky getting Obsidian reduced weight by 75% means Genesis is now the premiere poly map. Carno bleed effect. Several balancing and buffs to the Bloodstalker. I can't even remember every dino they listed.

I will take the Devs to task when they do an obvious lackluster job but you guys are hammering them with no idea how or what is to be added. You are all being ridiculous.

There is nothing they will do with two creatures that can make it a good TLC pass ("will" do, mind you ;) ). The buffs are mostly just tweaks to some numbers and I'd be surprised if most of them took more than an hour to do - including testing! 

I really do think this is a lackluster job. I'm usually defending the devs, but this is just a slap in the face. I get that the world is chaotic right now, but why don't just delay it and do it properly? They delay everything else, why not this. We didn't even get a release date until recently. It's been two years since the last one, why not just say "after Genesis 2" and do something of it? This screams that they don't care and just want it over and done with - to me. It screams that they won't do another one. That last bit, I agree that I might be overly pessimistic, but with 2.5 years since the previous one I can't see this being anything other than trying to get an old promise out of the way so that they can forget all about it.

7 minutes ago, LEDminer said:

No need to get hostile. How do you know what we do aside from playing ARK?

We understand why there might not be many creatures in the TLC, and aren't demanding they add more. Yes, it is slightly disappointing that we are only getting two, but I have faith that even these two creatures will be well worth it.

To be fair, some people here are, maybe not demanding, but at least very much asking for more :P Personally, I can understand why there's not more if they release it now. What I can't understand is why they release it now and not just delay it a bit and include more in it.

I wish I could share your faith that the two creatures will be worth it. I don't have very high hopes for the new abilities based on previous TLCs (still salty about how they worked over the Trike without making it less useless. My favourite dino ? ). Mainly, I've resigned to wish for nice model reworks and there's no way only two reworks will make it any more than a vaguely decent TLC for me. Well. I'm happy for everybody that can be excited about it still though!

I really, really do agree with your first statement though :D Most likely just a troll though, so deprived of attention they take even negative attention just to get something

3 minutes ago, LEDminer said:

This is a good point. Since there is no hurry to release the TLC they could just delay it till next year to give them more time.

Then again, they may have a fourth TLC in plans, which may include creatures that didn't make it into TLC3.

I guess there are more considerations going into the timing than I'm aware of. Maybe they need to release something during the fall because it gives them a new and returning players influx? I can only speculate. I still wish they'd rather delay it than half-ass it. Then again, I know what a riot this forum kicks up over delays - something I never understood as I much rather they take their time and do it properly! But I guess that's the patience that comes with age talking ?

Because they're seemingly just brushing this TLC aside, I feel like there won't be another one. That this wouldn't even have happened, had it not been for them talking about a TLC3 2 years ago when the others came out. That this is them trying to get that promise out of the way and then move on to forget about all TLCs. Again, I'm aware that this could be me misinterpreting the situation, especially if the reason is rather other considerations as I mentioned above, and me being overly pessimistic. Either way, I hope you're right and I'm wrong!

On 8/3/2020 at 10:17 AM, Zahlea said:

There is nothing they will do with two creatures that can make it a good TLC pass ("will" do, mind you ;) ). The buffs are mostly just tweaks to some numbers and I'd be surprised if most of them took more than an hour to do - including testing! 

Wow... Maybe I'll have to eat my own words here. If the teaser of what looks like a baby mantis in the latest community crunch is - as I suspect - a teaser of the mantis becoming breedable, I'll take my words back in a heart beat. Two new breedable creatures would definitely make it a good TLC pass in my book, even if the whole TLC is only two creatures :D 

17 hours ago, LEDminer said:

I hope we get arthropod breeding in general. It will be interesting how they'd pull off things like dung beetle breeding.

(Look up dung beetle life cycle if you are wondering)

I'll always agree with anyone asking for more breeding :D I really want all creatures to be breedable! It would add so much to do and I love trying to find good stats and then breeding them together and going for mutations.

I get the objections on official servers for some creatures, but really - this game is so much bigger than the official servers. If they can't or won't balance a creature for breeding - just make it an ini option so that singleplayer and dedicated servers can add it at will!

Aaaaaanyways, back on topic! You really had me look up dung beetle life cycle :P Don't think they'll implement all that, but I'd be interested to see what they did with it if they did. Imagine spiders as well - should the female spin a huge blob and a while later millions of small araneos popped out? ?

19 hours ago, Zahlea said:

I'll always agree with anyone asking for more breeding :D I really want all creatures to be breedable! It would add so much to do and I love trying to find good stats and then breeding them together and going for mutations.

I get the objections on official servers for some creatures, but really - this game is so much bigger than the official servers. If they can't or won't balance a creature for breeding - just make it an ini option so that singleplayer and dedicated servers can add it at will!

Aaaaaanyways, back on topic! You really had me look up dung beetle life cycle :P Don't think they'll implement all that, but I'd be interested to see what they did with it if they did. Imagine spiders as well - should the female spin a huge blob and a while later millions of small araneos popped out? ?

It would be nice if they improved passive tames so that there was some way for us to see their stats before we went through taming them. For other dinos we can knock them out and if they suck leave them, but passive tames.. they get a bonus after we tame them, so as far as i know there is no way to check their "levels".

5 hours ago, crossmr said:

It would be nice if they improved passive tames so that there was some way for us to see their stats before we went through taming them. For other dinos we can knock them out and if they suck leave them, but passive tames.. they get a bonus after we tame them, so as far as i know there is no way to check their "levels".

You can still knock out the passive tames. So you could knock it out, check its stats, let it wake up and then passive tame... if the hassle is worth it to you :) 

5 hours ago, DodoRaptor said:

You want to know what an actual mantis egg case looks like? I'll answer that for you: no you don't. Trust me.

Within seconds of reading this, I searched for it ? It wasn't bad though so maybe I got the wrong results.

On 7/28/2020 at 4:39 PM, Scribelord said:

They haven't announced which creatures so hopefully they went for something like the megalodon

Agree and disagree. The current meg is basically just a great white, nothing like the real meg. The problem with fixing them is they currently occupy the raptor-equivalent place in water - everywhere but just as minor pests. Upgrading them would be like more work but no equivalent reward. We already have loads of super-OP water dinos to tame and breed. Basi, Squid, Bary - take your pick. TBH at this point the real problem underwater isn't the PVP balance or even the models. It is the fact the the biome itself is totally broken PVE where megs swim right past dolphins for a tame-and-player only diet that is totally unrealistic.

On 7/29/2020 at 1:00 AM, Scribelord said:

Plesiosaur could use a new model as well which is really unfortunate since there's still loads of creatures to choose from

Again, would be cool but I can think of dinos that need it more. The bronto walks like crap - this really does need fixed. I would fix that and the sabre cat so that they are actually something to be afraid of again.

Whatever they TLC I hope it doesn't involve another misguided  "take you off your saddle" thing that seems to be the only thing Wildcard can come up with for nasty tricks. Not very creative when it starts getting overused by so many dinos - microraptor, perluvia, megalosaurus, thylo, raptor, crab..

Archived