Have you fought the alpha dragon on the island recently?

sjskdjkfa

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recently did Alpha Dragon on official with 9 players and 20 tames... didn't go to well. 

17 Theri's 10k hp 700-800 melee all with 25+ cakes on them and 100+ armor saddles

2 Rhino riders 10k hp 80 armor + saddles

1 yuty 

At the end of it we lost over half of the theri's, 1 rhino, and the yuty. Considering our low stats on our theri's it wasn't surprising. 

Definitely going to be trying it again and looking back would definitely recommend having more players riding rhinos and shotgunning the dragon, and a player who knows what they're doing whistling the theri's off the back of the yuty to avoid tames going into the lava. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2020 at 7:24 PM, reddotjellytot said:

U have to be very careful using Deinos on manticore, its been known and seen that the manticore will fly up so high u loose all agro and it gets stuck in the air until the timer runs out then poof goes ur prized tames

I figured with the manticore, Id stick with wyvrens…….possibly some extreame level argies and good saddles?

On 8/19/2020 at 9:49 PM, Snhazzy said:

Recently did Alpha Dragon on official with 9 players and 20 tames... didn't go to well. 17 Theri's 10k hp 700-800 melee all with 25+ cakes on them and 100+ armor saddles 2 Rhino riders 10k hp 80 armor + saddles 1 yuty At the end of it we lost over half of the theri's, 1 rhino, and the yuty. Considering our low stats on our theri's it wasn't surprising. Definitely going to be trying it again and looking back would definitely recommend having more players riding rhinos and shotgunning the dragon, and a player who knows what they're doing whistling the theri's off the back of the yuty to avoid tames going into the lava. 

Ouch, that one is tough......two questions, why no deadon and why not wait till the theri's had 15k health?

There was a  video done by cantex I think, he pitted level 75 dinos with all points put into health vs dinos with all points put into melee......the ones with the bumps in health allways won

We do it yesterday again with 8 poor Deinonychos and one Realy Good Spino to fight the Dimorphs. Let the Deinos on passive and when the Dragon lands ehistle atack my target and watch how strong they are. But never atack the Dragon withe a ridden tame bc at the moment a rider is next to him he will bite and use Fire!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering... I was talking to a tribe mate the other day, as we are gearing up for the alpha island dragon. And he tells me that there is/was a bug, that when using deinonychus' in the fight, the game crashes. Is this still a thing, as searching online I can't find anything to say it's been fixed and only OLD posts about it.

Cheers

On 9/10/2020 at 1:47 PM, wizard03 said:

Ouch, that one is tough......two questions, why no deadon and why not wait till the theri's had 15k health?

There was a  video done by cantex I think, he pitted level 75 dinos with all points put into health vs dinos with all points put into melee......the ones with the bumps in health allways won

I see, that HP fact is interesting I definitely see how we went wrong on the fight haha

Update...

We kinda screwed the pooch on our first attempt. The rider on the yuty died to about 10 dimorphodons then the yuty followed suite. The dragon managed to push a heap of our deinonychus off the edge and its was downhill from there. Needless to say our strategy could have used some planning lol. But excitement got the better of us and we rode in half-cocked. Ended up just being me running around with a shotgun getting destroyed.

Pretty fun though...

12 hours ago, Benrusty09 said:

Update...

We kinda screwed the pooch on our first attempt. The rider on the yuty died to about 10 dimorphodons then the yuty followed suite. The dragon managed to push a heap of our deinonychus off the edge and its was downhill from there. Needless to say our strategy could have used some planning lol. But excitement got the better of us and we rode in half-cocked. Ended up just being me running around with a shotgun getting destroyed.

Pretty fun though...

U need a Spino to kill the Dimorphs. Why you use a yuti? Whistle the Deinonychos passive and in front of Spino wait and when the Dragon lands an is finish walk over Lava whistle attack my target...easy run

• 5 months later...
On 7/26/2020 at 10:22 PM, sjskdjkfa said:

Have you fought the alpha dragon on the island recently?

I haven't done it "lately", but I did it much more recently than the two articles you linked from 2017 & 2018, and much more recently than Patch 278 from Feb of 2018.

I did it in February, 2020 and we used 17 therizinos with 1 yuty and 2 daeodons. The theri's used veggie cakes just like you would expect them to, no problems.

Did 2 attempt.

The first one was with rexes and yuti. Rexes was imprinted but badly breeded, saddle was 67 points mastercraft and I got clapped by the dragon.
The second time I took things seriouly. I went with theris. Breeded properly for hp and melee mutations, 248 asc saddle, 15 cakes on each one and it went smooth.

1 hour ago, kusty974 said:

Did 2 attempt.

The first one was with rexes and yuti. Rexes was imprinted but badly breeded, saddle was 67 points mastercraft and I got clapped by the dragon.
The second time I took things seriouly. I went with theris. Breeded properly for hp and melee mutations, 248 asc saddle, 15 cakes on each one and it went smooth.

yeah, it can be done on rex's but you gotta go full blown all the way in. Best breeds, max level's, best saddles......its a bit, quite a bit. The theri's is just better off cause of the reduced damage, veggie cakes, and near rex power.
add some good saddles to the mix, and you can do any boss. Just mind the lava.

27 minutes ago, wizard03 said:

yeah, it can be done on rex's but you gotta go full blown all the way in. Best breeds, max level's, best saddles......its a bit, quite a bit. The theri's is just better off cause of the reduced damage, veggie cakes, and near rex power.

Remember reduced damage only works against the fireball. Fire breath does full damage no matter the resistance or armor.

The design of the areas are absolute trash for the terrible AI. They should remove collision from everything inside the rings so they are visual/appeal only. One of the worst things to see when fighting single player is to turn and see 18/20 rexes stuck on a ruin.

I mean i'm no design expert, but you think WC would have fielded enough angrygrams to fix the boss areas. I would rather fight in a bland empty circle than try and drive 20 dinos with the worst turn radius though 5,423 obstacles while fighting a boss. It's not like we don't spend way to many hours breeding/raising them to lose them for poor design choices.

4 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Sure, rexes can match any bosses.
I'm running for the island ascension on alpha, and yea... It's a real pain. 3 weeks of killing babies, hundred of thousands of ressources farming, leveling... but when it's all done, it defenitly worth.

On 3/21/2021 at 1:12 PM, Wycked said:

I used deino's and a rex. Got the dragon to less than 1/4hp remaning and it vanished. Then the rex insta died and over 1/2 of the deinoi's insta died. No timer on the top of the screen for about a minute then the countdown and I was kicked. Anyone else have this happen?

Ive seen something similar happen on valguero bosses, the dragon was fighting some of my deinos near a rockwall and it just vanished. I finished killing the other bosses and the dragon never came back. Just waited till the timer finished counting down and of course me and all my dinos died cause I never technically finished the fight I guess.

Did the alpha twice in the past week: both times with 3 riders on deinos.  It went so fast and so easy that I totally consider it a cheese strategy, like doing alpha-rockwell with cactus broth and no tames.  While there is no way for me to know this, I don't think this is what the devs intended: I would think that they would want alpha boss fights to require a large group with good gear, tames and a good plan.  Dodging a fireball or two while you wait for the dragon to land and then attacking the same foot with mid-level tames is a bit cheesy.

• 2 weeks later...

On my dedicated server cluster we are working on doing all the official maps in sequence. We were planning on going with a Therizino group for dragon  on island only to find out right before we attempted a run that the sweet vegetable cakes do not heal for the 10% heal over 30 seconds only the initial 500hp heal. I tested on a non dedicated session with no mods just to be sure it wasn't one of out mods and confirmed it was only the 500hp heal. When was this changed, the last few patch notes I saw listed with changes to the cakes were:

• Increased Food from 180 to 500 for 20?cb=20150912193015 Achatina
259.0 PS4 510.0
  • Added Bee Honey as ingredient
  • Lowered maximum restoration to 2100 HP
  • Sweet Vegetable Cake now restores 10% of maximum health over 30 seconds at a minimum of 500 and a maximum of 2500 HP
  • Removed the instant +500 HP
  • Halved spoil time
  • Creatures automatically consume Sweet Vegetable Cake if their health drops below 85%. They will repeat until over 85% again
  • Creatures do not automatically consume Sweet Vegetable Cake to fill their hunger (Except Achatina)
  • Doedicurus and Carbonemys no longer gain Herbivore-healing from Veg Cakes
  • Sweet Vegetable Cake now restores 15% of maximum Health over 10 seconds (Down from 15s) in addition to the instant +500 HP
  • Reduced the cooldown to 10 seconds (Down from 15s)
  • Quadrupled spoil time

Was this an official change that I somewhere missed the notes for. Is the Therizino strat no longer viable because of the cake change or is this a bug that not fixed? We would like to just play the maps in sequence to lore with non cheese/bug attempts.

Archived