Why is my Single Player Save question not being answered?

Snotblow

Below is the transcript of my trouble. If you start at the bottom of the chain...that's where my question begins.  Could someone explain why I'm not getting an answer to my question?

Wildcard.png

GM Chival (ARK)

Jul 24, 2020, 4:23 PM PDT

Greetings Survivor,

Thank you for contacting Studio Wildcard Customer Support. After careful review of the circumstances of your ticket, we are currently unable to grant your request. This ruling is made in accordance with our code of conduct and internal fair play policies as well as our limited support capabilities. We know it may be frustrating, but we appreciate your understanding in this matter. We will be closing this ticket, and may your future endeavors be most Rex-cellent.

Sincerely,

GM Chival
Studio Wildcard

http://www.studiowildcard.com

Security Tip: Please do not give your password to anyone for any reason. Studio Wildcard will NEVER ask you for your password.

Note: If your ticket status is pending (you have not responded to us) for over 5 days, it will automatically be set to solved. If this is not the case, feel free to respond to the ticket and it will open it back up. This process is automated and not done by the GM.

e71caf450f3f2b6cbb879d24dfdea34a?size=40

Snotblow

Jul 23, 2020, 5:30 PM PDT

Hi. Please stop providing canned responses to my request.
I would like to line out a little more clearly what is occurring.

I have downloaded Epic within my Admin. I have created two individual log-ins into the Epic interface for two different users in my house. When each user logs in using their own username and password, they are seeing the same save game within Ark Survival Evolved.
I need to know how the game is associating a single Ark Survival save to two individual Epic users. Epic states it is not their issue and they require you to resolve it. If you could assist in the troubleshooting of this, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Wildcard.png

GM Chival (ARK)

Jul 23, 2020, 3:51 PM PDT

Hi Snotblow,

We are sorry to hear that you have experienced an issue with the game and are still unable to play the game as intended. As a fellow survivor, we know what it feels like and how frustrating it is.

Please know that if we could, we would assist you in a more timely manner. Sadly, due to our inability to dictate dev priority as Customer support, we are unable provide support at this time but we have notified the engineers, so you will hopefully not have to encounter this issue in the future.

Again, we would suggest that you keep your eyes on our future community crunch
here for an update.

Should you have further questions or concerns regarding a different matter, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Thank you for your continued support of ARK: Survival Evolved. Have a Rex-cellent day!

Sincerely,

GM Chival
Studio Wildcard

Security Tip: Please do not give your password to anyone for any reason. Studio Wildcard will NEVER ask you for your password.

Note: If your ticket status is pending (you have not responded to us) for over 5 days, it will automatically be set to solved. If this is not the case, feel free to respond to the ticket and it will open it back up. This process is automated and not done by the GM.

Snotblow

Jul 22, 2020, 5:24 PM PDT

This is not a game feedback or change/feature request. I have two separate accounts on one computer and your game save is the same for both. They each should have their own independent save games. How do I resolve this?

Wildcard.png

GM Chival (ARK)

Jul 22, 2020, 2:35 PM PDT

Hello Survivor,

Thank you for contacting Studio Wildcard Customer Support. We received your feedback. Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated and important in helping us continue making ARK: Survival Evolved the best game it can be for everyone. We value all help and opinions as we work on improving the ARK-gaming experience for all. Unfortunately as Customer Support, we are unable to make any changes to the game.

I would advise posting on the "Game Suggestions" forum located at
http://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/forum/64-game-suggestions/ as that is seen by the game team who actively monitor it. Hope that was able to address your concern though. Please feel free to contact us again should you have any other questions or concerns.

Take care and have a great day!

Sincerely,

GM Chival
Studio Wildcard

Snotblow

Jul 21, 2020, 8:31 PM PDT

I have worked with Epic the last 4 days on this before they sent me to you guys. I have two child accounts with separate sign ins. They both have ARK Game. I choose the game to be installed on a separate (larger) drive that they both have access to. When they start ARK under their separate account on the same PC it is one save (same character). They should each have independent saves but that's not happening.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, Snotblow said:

I have downloaded Epic within my Admin. I have created two individual log-ins into the Epic interface for two different users in my house. When each user logs in using their own username and password, they are seeing the same save game within Ark Survival Evolved.
I need to know how the game is associating a single Ark Survival save to two individual Epic users. Epic states it is not their issue and they require you to resolve it. If you could assist in the troubleshooting of this, I would appreciate it.

Single-player will shares the same saves and profile for any accounts that connect on the same machine. This always been like that, even on Steam because they shares the same installation and therefore the same saves and share the same PlayerLocalData.arkprofile profile. If you want both accounts to use different saves and profile on the same machine, you will have to manually backup and restore the ../Saved/ directory every times you want to switch.

This was supposed to post to the PC forum...how do I move this?

Moved it for you.

Below is the transcript of my trouble. If you start at the bottom of the chain...that's where my question begins.  Could someone explain why I'm not getting an answer to my question?

Wildcard.png

GM Chival (ARK)

Jul 24, 2020, 4:23 PM PDT

Greetings Survivor,

Thank you for contacting Studio Wildcard Customer Support. After careful review of the circumstances of your ticket, we are currently unable to grant your request. This ruling is made in accordance with our code of conduct and internal fair play policies as well as our limited support capabilities. We know it may be frustrating, but we appreciate your understanding in this matter. We will be closing this ticket, and may your future endeavors be most Rex-cellent.

Sincerely,

GM Chival
Studio Wildcard

Snotblow

Jul 23, 2020, 5:30 PM PDT

Hi. Please stop providing canned responses to my request.
I would like to line out a little more clearly what is occurring.

Thank you.

Wildcard.png

GM Chival (ARK)

Jul 23, 2020, 3:51 PM PDT

Hi Snotblow,

We are sorry to hear that you have experienced an issue with the game and are still unable to play the game as intended. As a fellow survivor, we know what it feels like and how frustrating it is.

Please know that if we could, we would assist you in a more timely manner. Sadly, due to our inability to dictate dev priority as Customer support, we are unable provide support at this time but we have notified the engineers, so you will hopefully not have to encounter this issue in the future.

Again, we would suggest that you keep your eyes on our future community crunch
here for an update.

Should you have further questions or concerns regarding a different matter, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Thank you for your continued support of ARK: Survival Evolved. Have a Rex-cellent day!

Sincerely,

GM Chival
Studio Wildcard

Snotblow

Jul 22, 2020, 5:24 PM PDT

This is not a game feedback or change/feature request. I have two separate accounts on one computer and your game save is the same for both. They each should have their own independent save games. How do I resolve this?

Wildcard.png

GM Chival (ARK)

Jul 22, 2020, 2:35 PM PDT

Hello Survivor,

Thank you for contacting Studio Wildcard Customer Support. We received your feedback. Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated and important in helping us continue making ARK: Survival Evolved the best game it can be for everyone. We value all help and opinions as we work on improving the ARK-gaming experience for all. Unfortunately as Customer Support, we are unable to make any changes to the game.

I would advise posting on the "Game Suggestions" forum located at
http://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/forum/64-game-suggestions/ as that is seen by the game team who actively monitor it. Hope that was able to address your concern though. Please feel free to contact us again should you have any other questions or concerns.

Take care and have a great day!

Sincerely,

GM Chival
Studio Wildcard

Snotblow

Jul 21, 2020, 8:31 PM PDT

I have worked with Epic the last 4 days on this before they sent me to you guys. I have two child accounts with separate sign ins. They both have ARK Game. I choose the game to be installed on a separate (larger) drive that they both have access to. When they start ARK under their separate account on the same PC it is one save (same character). They should each have independent saves but that's not happening.

This is actually a really common problem people have, and from what I can see, it dates back all the way to at least 2015. There was a steam post about it under ark tech help discussions. They noted that f you have the game installed on a single drive and it is a single license for use,  even if you have multiple accounts linked to that license, it uses the same save files.  It doesn't actually differentiate based on account if both accounts are accessing from the same place/game file. Making separate log ins under a single "licence"  with a shared save directory of the game doesn't count as separate games.  I looked at the thread and since 2017, there has been no change to how this works. 

TLDR: you can have numerous accounts, but if the files are all stored on one drive with only the same  application of the game installed they will always access the same files. A way around this is to create separate worlds for them to access apart from yours and direct them to use that world.  I would provide a link to this thread where they talked about it, but I don't think I can provide links here.   The only way you can avoid this is by having entirely separate applications with different directories to save to.  Or, rent a server. That is the best option, imo. YOu can get a `10 slot server for 100 dollars per year, which is pretty cheap.  Then you can bypass the single player shared save system. And you avoid all the other problems of single player. 

If you do a google search of the term "ark+two accounts sharing same single player file," the steam thread should come up.  Hope that helps a bit. I know it can be frustrating to get canned responses. 

Think they were no help in the ticket section because they can only do enforcement or in game replacement of dino's/items. 

The support section is where a question like yours might be answered though that usually gets answered by other players not WC employees with certified answers. 

@invincibleqc usually knows a lot about your type of question so in future I'd post in the support section and tag him.

You can make two batch files which copy the right savegame folder, eg.:

ArkAccount1.bat --> will make a backup of savegame-account2 and then copy the savegame-account1 into the savegame folder

ArkAccount2.bat --> will make a backup of savegame-account1 and then copy the savegame account2 into the savegame folder

But be careful. Whenever you change the account but forget to do the backup/restore of the right folder, your data could be overwritten with the wrong files.

You guys have been very helpful! In a very short amount of time....thank you.  I can't imagine a world in which you can have two copies of a game and you won't have two separate saves!  So I guess they were correct when they told me this is a feature request!  I do want to be clear...I'm not trying to abuse the system or cheat anything. Both my kids have separate Epic accounts which means they both have to have a legitimate copy of the game for each account to run from...I just think this game save should be attached to account and not free floating in one directory only!  If I understand things correctly.

Thank you all once again for bringing clarity to what I'm dealing with.

• Volunteer Moderator

That's my trouble.  They have different windows logins and different Epic accounts....but I can't install two 100 gb installs of the same game....which is why i have a separate drive for installing the game....unless i'm missing an opportunity here....do go on if i'm not seeing what you're saying Zapha

I believe he is referring to the Win10 version (Xbox, but on PC). Either way, if they have different users on the machine then you could probably just generate symlinks to their respective saves on startup. Untested;

• First of all, backup your current ../ARK/ShooterGame/Saved/ directory.
  • For both users:
    • Navigate through their startup directory (%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup).
    • Create a batch file (e.g. generate-ark-saved-directory.bat).
    • In that file, put the following code by replacing the directory where you installed the game as well as that specific user saved directory:
      if exist "D:\ARK\ShooterGame\Saved\" rmdir "D:\ARK\ShooterGame\Saved\"
      mklink /D "D:\ARK\ShooterGame\Saved\" "D:\ARK\ShooterGame\Bob's Saved\"
  • NOTE: You will most likely have to enable devmode for both users in order for them to be able to create links without admins privileges (Settings → Update and Security → For developers → Developer mode).
  • Now whenever Bob will login on his windows user, the save directory will points to Bob's Saved allowing all users to have their own isolated world saves and characters, etc.

Archived