Whats the point in metal/tek bases?

Outside of a server, I dont really see much point in getting a metal/tek base. Or even stone. If you are playing on a private world or one only with your friends, I dont see much point in upgrading to stone or anything above. Unless you have a habit of building bases near gigas I dont see the point in spending so many resources on a base that is exactly the same as a wooden base. Sure tek doors are automatic, but all you just need to press 1 button to open a normal one.

Thatch structures have less HP than wood and are easily destroyed by wild dinos.
Wood structures have less HP than stone and can destroyed by wild dinos.
Stone ...
Metal structures can be destroyed by some wild creatures.

Another aspect is the looks.  I like a mix of stone and wood buildings.  Some people like metal.

On servers with decay timers: thatch is the fastest to decay if you don't go online to reset the timers.

Use the right dino to collect the materials you want to build with  - to dramatically reduce the time spent grinding materials.

I don't bother with metal/tek on SP, but who would have a wood or thatch base in late game? Do they want to have to fix walls they accidentally punch? Do they want every predator single getting in? Stone's the way to roll if you're cheap, metal or tek if you're not. Thatch or wood... no. Just no. Maybe wood if they're somewhere VERY safe, but they would have to be really safe. Thatch is terrible, do you want a dilo breaking down your walls? I use it only for decoration. Honestly though, besides looks and extra health, tek is identical to metal; the same things can break both.

Edit: You are aware that wood and stone are very different and carnos, sarcos, and rexes can break wood?

7 hours ago, GrognakTheDestroyer said:

Outside of a server, I dont really see much point in getting a metal/tek base. Or even stone. If you are playing on a private world or one only with your friends, I dont see much point in upgrading to stone or anything above. Unless you have a habit of building bases near gigas I dont see the point in spending so many resources on a base that is exactly the same as a wooden base. Sure tek doors are automatic, but all you just need to press 1 button to open a normal one.

I have to agree, its pretty pointless on SP.....now with stone, the only reasons why I built with stone is cause A it looked good, and B I had a dodicuris, mammoth, and anky. So the ability to harvest stupid amounts of the necessary resources was super easy.
Unless there is some realistic uses for metal or tek, I cannot justify any sort of use for much for tek, and nothing for the metal structures...….with that said, I do find some strong uses for some of the tek equipment.....feeding trough is a dream come true. Same with the single item storage units. The doors might be usefull too, but that's about it. =/

Maybe if they added some super unique abilities. Say all spoilage times inside a tek base is doubled. Electricty is automatically routed through tek floorings. Hunger/thirst is reduced....just something to entice people to build with tek more.....metal is metal, more or less just for servers to protect yourself from others and wild dino's, but other than that, tek structures really has no advantage on SP mode.

In all of my time playing this game I have never had anything stronger than a compy attack my base. My base is usually located at the hidden lake (which is very easy to defend) and the southern islets (which has a fairly low spawn rate for large dinos) plus my 12 or so raptors guarding every inch of my base. I just use wood for my house because it's easy to get, I like the look of it and its easy to repair if I accidentally punch the door.

Just now, GrognakTheDestroyer said:

In all of my time playing this game I have never had anything stronger than a compy attack my base. My base is usually located at the hidden lake (which is very easy to defend) and the southern islets (which has a fairly low spawn rate for large dinos) plus my 12 or so raptors guarding every inch of my base. I just use wood for my house because it's easy to get, I like the look of it and its easy to repair if I accidentally punch the door.

That's fair, when I build I usually use stone, but I'll mix in wood and thatch for aesthetics. Tek probably isn't worth it since it costs element, and even if you have gigas nearby, metal works the same. Tek looks nice, but that's it. Maybe if it kept radiation out, and was immune to meteors and eruptions. Then, you could build in the extremes of different maps.

i don't play on official, i play on a white listed private cluster so the population is usually spaced out enough to where wild dinos will actually spawn. sometimes crap tears up your base. also i don't know if anyone mentioned it, but sometimes building with metal is actually easier because it's only the two materials and you can do it on a smithy.

I use tougher structures if I am building in a dangerous environment. Makes sense. Like on Genesis, if I am building in the Volcano biome, I am definitely not using wood/thatch/stone.  Too many bad things. 

I will also tailor my building materials to the aesthetics of the environment. I tend to use tek/metal or that new CKF sci fi mod for maps/environments that look "sci fi." Like the extinction city. 

If I am on a tropical island, thatch,wood kinda make thematic sense to me. And nothing is going to destroy it anyway, so no reason not to. 

22 hours ago, GrognakTheDestroyer said:

Oh beach bob. You'll get it one day

Archived