CI map creature population is way too scarce.

EndlessDuck

CI map creature population is way too scarce.

Redwoods are empty, only north part of them have some mammoths/wolves/sabers etc.

Halcyon planes are pretty much empty with 1-2 trikes every 100 sqare miles

Ocean is 90% empty. I've only found water creatures around White Shoals, Eldritch Isle, Northland and Redwood area. Rest of the ocean is pretty much dead. The spot under the Apotheosis has no life whatsoever.

I'm wondering if this is because this map is quite a bit bigger. The total population of creatures might be close to the same as the Island, but spread out more. It might be that they had to reduce spawns to allow this map to run on all of the platforms supported. 

It does seem like some areas have very few spawns, but then you also find some spots with an over spawn. Also things like tusis stuck on the beach.

The underwater tunnels had some areas with no spawns, but others with plenty for may tastes (about the right amount).

The map needs a bit of work and fine tuning. It is "new" (really old, but was unfinished for a very long time), so give it a few months, maybe years, hopefully it will get fixed up. Like the wyvern nests in "the scar" are really messed up. Some spawn under the mesh. Some are just decorative. Total mess.

9 hours ago, Zeldei said:

The map has always had this problem. It's too big and there never were enough spawns to compensate for the map size. It is like if you took ragnarok, but placed half the island's creature spawns into it. 

Nothing really wrong with that if that is the intended design. You get a more natural looking number of creatures. The number of creatures all in one area on the Island does not even remotely look natural. You show up and half the creatures eat the other half of the creatures and then a few minutes later, more spawn in. Having to travel more distance to find the same number of creatures you find in a smaller area on the Island is more realistic for a map like Crystal Isles. Also sometimes all the creatures can distract from the beauty of Crystal Isles. If you want a lot of creatures, simply go to the Island.

Now if it is all just a bug, sure they should fix it, but I actually prefer it.

On 7/20/2020 at 1:20 PM, wildbill said:

Nothing really wrong with that if that is the intended design. You get a more natural looking number of creatures. The number of creatures all in one area on the Island does not even remotely look natural. You show up and half the creatures eat the other half of the creatures and then a few minutes later, more spawn in. Having to travel more distance to find the same number of creatures you find in a smaller area on the Island is more realistic for a map like Crystal Isles. Also sometimes all the creatures can distract from the beauty of Crystal Isles. If you want a lot of creatures, simply go to the Island.

Now if it is all just a bug, sure they should fix it, but I actually prefer it.

I don't mind so much on the land. The ocean, though, it is very noticeable. Just vast amounts of dead zones.  I like a good distribution.  Some places are  bizarre. When you go to the Halycon plains, I think it is called, there are pockets of insane clusters of animals. I think I found small caves with 50 wolves. 

7 hours ago, Zeldei said:

I don't mind so much on the land. The ocean, though, it is very noticeable. Just vast amounts of dead zones.  I like a good distribution.  Some places are  bizarre. When you go to the Halycon plains, I think it is called, there are pockets of insane clusters of animals. I think I found small caves with 50 wolves. 

Ya, those caves are weird. The whole map is different and sometimes in bizarre ways. That is all part of its character, which I think is intentional. I would call those caves with the wolves murder holes ?

6 hours ago, wildbill said:

Ya, those caves are weird. The whole map is different and sometimes in bizarre ways. That is all part of its character, which I think is intentional. I would call those caves with the wolves murder holes ?

I remember playing Crystal Isles years ago when it was a mod map. I can across those murder holes and thought "this has got to be a bug or something." But I guess it was actually a map feature all along lol. 

There are actually around 40k wilds on the map at full respawn for our private server.  Definitely more "pocketed" in spawn locations than other maps though so vast areas without any, especially on land.

Breakdown of counts from my private server:

Aberrant Anglerfish x 13
Aberrant Arthropluera x 43
Aberrant Baryonyx x 6
Aberrant Beelzebufo x 35
Aberrant Cnidaria x 7
Aberrant Coelacanth x 829
Aberrant Dimetrodon x 15
Aberrant Diplocaulus x 10
Aberrant Dung Beetle x 26
Aberrant Electrophorus x 5
Aberrant Manta x 30
Aberrant Megalosaurus x 15
Aberrant Otter x 38
Aberrant Piranha x 42
Aberrant Pulmonoscorpius x 13
Aberrant Purlovia x 56
Aberrant Salmon x 78
Aberrant Sarco x 18
Aberrant Spino x 13
Aberrant Trilobite x 149
Achatina x 65
Allosaurus x 63
Alpha Carnotaurus x 10
Alpha Leedsichthys x 4
Alpha Megalodon x 10
Alpha Mosasaur x 12
Alpha Raptor x 11
Alpha T-Rex x 1
Alpha Tusoteuthis x 13
Ammonite x 388
Anglerfish x 987
Ankylosaurus x 230
Araneo x 53
Archaeopteryx x 22
Argentavis x 394
Arthropluera x 55
Baryonyx x 100
Basilisk x 30
Basilosaurus x 33
Beelzebufo x 404
Brontosaurus x 85
Carbonemys x 475
Carnotaurus x 299
Castoroides x 80
Chalicotherium x 64
Cnidaria x 1270
Coelacanth x 3167
Coelacanth (Ocean) x 4100
Compy x 638
Daeodon x 101
Dilophosaur x 859
Dimetrodon x 181
Dimorphodon x 531
Diplocaulus x 158
Diplodocus x 57
Dire Bear x 48
Dire Wolf x 338
Diseased Leech x 17
Dodo x 1319
Doedicurus x 68
Dung Beetle x 37
Dunkleosteus x 417
Electrophorus x 637
Equus x 172
Eurypterid x 926
Featherlight x 45
Gallimimus x 328
Giant Queen Bee x 19
Giganotosaurus x 2
Gigantopithecus x 22
Glowbug x 74
Glowtail x 3
Griffin x 50
Hesperornis x 149
Honey Bee x 50
Hyaenodon x 123
Ichthyornis x 358
Ichthyosaurus x 646
Iguanodon x 109
Jerboa x 290
Kairuku x 160
Kaprosuchus x 143
Karkinos x 33
Kentrosaurus x 109
Lamprey x 18
Leech x 434
Leedsichthys x 16
Liopleurodon x 24
Lymantria x 154
Lystrosaurus x 642
Mammoth x 247
Manta x 882
Mantis x 14
Megalania x 10
Megaloceros x 330
Megalodon x 271
Megalosaurus x 1
Meganeura x 1310
Megatherium x 53
Mesopithecus x 139
Microraptor x 117
Morellatops x 156
Mosasaurus x 65
Moschops x 271
Oil Jugbug x 121
Onyc x 24
Otter x 78
Oviraptor x 96
Ovis x 30
Pachy x 164
Pachyrhinosaurus x 41
Paraceratherium x 211
Parasaur x 605
Pegomastax x 257
Pelagornis x 30
Phiomia x 240
Piranha x 1597
Plesiosaur x 73
Polar Bear x 15
Procoptodon x 85
Pteranodon x 662
Pulmonoscorpius x 282
Purlovia x 35
Purlovia (Polar) x 16
Quetzal x 24
Raptor x 368
Ravager x 52
Rex x 56
Rock Elemental x 10
Sabertooth x 385
Sabertooth Salmon x 1777
Sarco x 213
Seeker x 68
Spinosaur x 27
Stegosaurus x 175
Tapejara x 55
Tek Parasaur x 65
Tek Raptor x 20
Tek Rex x 2
Tek Stegosaurus x 22
Terror Bird x 128
Therizinosaur x 45
Thorny Dragon x 55
Thylacoleo x 29
Titanoboa x 147
Titanomyrma Drone x 762
Titanomyrma Soldier x 382
Titanosaur x 3
Triceratops x 271
Trilobite x 745
Troodon x 249
Tropeognathus x 15
Tusoteuthis x 57
Unicorn x 4
Vulture x 136
Water Jugbug x 80
Woolly Rhino x 85
Wyvern (Blood) x 6
Wyvern (Ember) x 6
Wyvern (Tropical) x 13
Yeti x 12
Yutyrannus x 21

The ocean seems quite busy but only near or under land mass areas and mainly to the west.

For example megaladons, cnidria, dunkys all hug the inner areas rather than the outer reaches of the water so quite empty on outer edges of map.

This is a snap of all ocean Coals and you can see what I mean:

CI_Coals.png

.. and megaladons

CI_megaladons.png

.. and dunkys

CI_dunkys.png

• 4 weeks later...

Archived