Apologies complete newbie question

Arkaddict76

Apologies complete newbie question

Hi ? 

Apologies for the silly question....super fresh, but addicted, newbie Ark player  Hope I’m ok to ask this question here? If not please let me know where. Many thanks ? 

I have built my base with a bed etc ...tamed some dinos etc and would like to go out exploring....my questions is if I were to lay a sleeping bag down in a newly explored area and I died would I be able to choose where to spawn back in....either my base or where I put the sleeping bag down in the newly explored area? 

I am playing on a PS4, The island, on single player mode. 
many thanks and I look forward to hearing from you all ?

6 hours ago, Arkaddict76 said:

I have built my base with a bed etc ...tamed some dinos etc and would like to go out exploring....my questions is if I were to lay a sleeping bag down in a newly explored area and I died would I be able to choose where to spawn back in....either my base or where I put the sleeping bag down in the newly explored area? I am playing on a PS4, The island, on single player mode. many thanks and I look forward to hearing from you all ?

Welcome, Im sure we can help, or give you something to laugh about later. :P
 Yes, you may choose which place you want to respawn in, however if you use the sleeping bad once to "wake up from" {either from death or fast travel} the sleeping bag will instantly be destroyed when you wake up.....better pack doubles and lay them next to each other! Just in case.

However just a word of advice, you may find a bed as the better alternative. all that is required is a foundation and the bed itself...…..I personally like to explore on a raft, with a bed on it. This way you can take a look allllll the way around the island, and you have a relatively safe area to respawn in. Try to avoid the rivers though, unless you build a huge raft base to protect yourself from croc's and spino's. Oh and try to avoid going over deep water, there are not many fishies that can threaten a raft, but the ones that do can insta kill it. 

Thank you so much for the reply. Super helpful!

i guess it means I can build mini bases Over the map and then respawn where I choose each time? 
quick travel? Does that work the same as if I die? Can I take items with me?

sorry for all the boring/silly questions.....I’m really enjoying the game but feel if I knew more it would open up many possibilities ?

thank you again for taking the time to answer ??

Yes, mini bases will work although you'll want to make spare gear as you drop your items when fast travelling. Best idea is to put items into storage at whatever base your travelling from and go naked when using fast travel. If you establish a mini craft area in each base with smithy/stone forge/etc then you can save yourself some difficulty in each area.

Have storages with items spare to change into at each mini base as you make them and food reserves or access to food. Each bed will act as a potential spawn point but will require a (few minutes) cooldown so dont die repetatively in the same area too soon if you can help it. 

4 hours ago, Arkaddict76 said:

Thank you so much for the reply. Super helpful! i guess it means I can build mini bases Over the map and then respawn where I choose each time?
quick travel? Does that work the same as if I die? Can I take items with me?
sorry for all the boring/silly questions.....I’m really enjoying the game but feel if I knew more it would open up many possibilities ?

thank you again for taking the time to answer ??

Sadly you can not take items with you when you quick travel. In fact if you do use travel, make sure you clean out your hot bar, and all your clothing.....Otherwise it will be put in a bag on the floor and will expire in half an hour, much like if you died.
However, as you level up, tame up dino's, and start to become aggressive, you will find that getting the necessary tools and equipment for a mini base in different locations is much easier. Much like Airo said, storage and mini crafting units will work great to mini max your bases.

One good spot for a new base is the most southern glacier on the north east of the map. The reason for this is its a good place to park some fishies, and is located close to one of the hardest resources to find, organic polymer. Its not important early game, but later on is nearly invaluable. You use it to make ghille suits, shot guns, flak armour, and tek stuffs

When you load the game up you will be where you were when you logged off, it only gives you the spawn choice if you die. Although you can use the beds to fast travel, you can only fast travel naked so it will drop anything in your inventory on the floor at the bed you used.

Until you get much much farther into the game and unlock tek tier stuff and can make tek teleporters which will let you teleport from one to another with your stuff. GL have fun

Also, not totally relevant, but a good warning for beginners: when you leave the game and come back, you'll be where you logged off, but you'll be dismounted, and your shoulder pet will just float where your shoulder had been. Learned that the hard way, when I left on a pteranodon over the swamp with a shouldered monkey. All three of us managed to survive the incident.

13 hours ago, Arkaddict76 said:

You guys have been so helpful. Thank you so much ? can I just Double check....if I make mini bases over the map using a bed when I come to load the game up the next day will it give me a choice of where I want to spawn at?
again thank you so much for your replies ??

No, when you wake up the next day, you will be where you was at when you went to sleep.....even out in open ground, you will wake up from there.

But if you want to fast travel, you can still do so any time you want. That ability does not cost anything, nor do you need to worry about loseing it. Well, unless you bed is broken....animals can destroy your beds if they attack it....best to build walls and floors in stone when you get the chance.

Archived