Dire Bear or Thylacoleo?

Truffles

Dire Bear or Thylacoleo?

I have pondered on this for a while; I'm still not sure what to do. So I came here for help

Are Dire Bears as good, or almost as good as Thylacoleos? I have seen several Youtube videos displaying different results. 

In some, Dire Bears win, in others, the Thylacoleo wins. On Dododex, it seems that it takes a heap more resources to tame the Thylacoleo when compared to the Bear.

And thoughts/suggestions?

In My opinion Thyla is way more powerful then a dire bear.

Thylacoleo can scale walls, pouce targets and maul them to death and have a more powerful bite, can escape pretty much anything if it gets a bit heated in battle.

Dire bear can run pretty fast but soon as it hits something small like a tiny rock it gets stopped in its tracks, I don't think its bite has much of a bite tbh.

All depends on how the stats are distributed will depend on which one will win

2 hours ago, Truffles said:

Dire Bear or Thylacoleo? I have pondered on this for a while; I'm still not sure what to do. So I came here for help Are Dire Bears as good, or almost as good as Thylacoleos? I have seen several Youtube videos displaying different results. In some, Dire Bears win, in others, the Thylacoleo wins. On Dododex, it seems that it takes a heap more resources to tame the Thylacoleo when compared to the Bear. And thoughts/suggestions?

Bears are good for bee honey, kinda immune to the bee's, however I find thylo's very usefull for cave runs. The ability to climb walls is an absolute must when in the lava cave, or spiral cave. Ontop of that in SE its raw power is a must for around the house as well as its ability to allow you to still weild firearms. Nothing like crashing a cave on a thylo and wielding a rocket launcher.
As for tameing however, yeah thylo is a bit more of a pain. I would honestly recommend kibble or cooked meat {yeah, COOKED meat, no raw| and jellyfish jelly.....you absolutely will NEED some form of heavy duty narco. Running around and grabbing narc berries will not be enough and depending on the level of the thylo, you will either need a couple hundred narcotics, or jelly fish jelly.

With that said, honestly why not tame up one of each and see how you feel about it?

I have a low level dire bear that is great for honey gathering, and fiber, but the main problem I see with a higher level "equivalent" is how easily they get stuck. Unlike thylas, if they can't win a fight, they have a hard time escaping. A dire bear of the same level is more likely to win the fight in the first place, of course. Thylas are kind of a "jack of all trades," good at everything, but something else is always better at each one thing, they climb, but not as well as megalainia, they jump, but not as well as a procoptodon, they're a good tank, but not as good as many other creatures, they're fast but not as fast as a megaloceros, etc. However, with all these combined, they end up being really good. Their high health and rider weaponry make it so a rex can basically chew on them while they are knocked out. And when it runs, they can easily catch up.

I have never tamed a dire bear. Been playing for a while now and never new the dire bear could collect honey. (yh i'm noob) I do have a few thylas and like many I use them for cave running. However after reading this I am going to log on game and go tame myself a couple of dire bears. I do have a question does the amount of honey collected scale if I add more melee? or is it just a standed amount ?

Depends what you need. Both are in the same scope of mid-level mid-sized tames. I personally like bears more than thylas but a good thyla is a freaking TANK. 

I would use the thyla for travel, bear for niche harvesting / combat. ZHUGE bonus you dont see many talk about is: when you dismount a bear you stand on it's back. This makes for some crazy situations that are very niche. Jump off ANY cliff and ride that mofo like a surf board to your safe landing.

I have been rolling around on a good thyla with a good saddle all week. (13kHP and 1k mele) and I came upon a group of 3 brontos, a rex, 2 alpha raptors and an alpha carno and wrecked them all. Plus it's nice that he can jump and climb walls, I leveled his speed enough that he is fast too. I love dire bears but I would take a good thyla over a dire bear of the same quality. 

2 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

I have been rolling around on a good thyla with a good saddle all week. (13kHP and 1k mele) and I came upon a group of 3 brontos, a rex, 2 alpha raptors and an alpha carno and wrecked them all. Plus it's nice that he can jump and climb walls, I leveled his speed enough that he is fast too. I love dire bears but I would take a good thyla over a dire bear of the same quality. 

I would murder someone for that thyla. All I've found are a 2 that killed me, a 7 that killed me, a 4 who I refused to allow to murder me and went full shotgun and killed it, and a 4 and 10, who are still active on trees. Technically I could tame both and try to get awesome mutations stacked, but the time it would take, and the amount of poor baby thylas I'd have to kill would be ridiculous.

1 hour ago, DodoRaptor said:

I would murder someone for that thyla. All I've found are a 2 that killed me, a 7 that killed me, a 4 who I refused to allow to murder me and went full shotgun and killed it, and a 4 and 10, who are still active on trees. Technically I could tame both and try to get awesome mutations stacked, but the time it would take, and the amount of poor baby thylas I'd have to kill would be ridiculous.

I do love him a lot, he is amazing. It sounds like you might have your difficulty down low and so you are finding low levels, something I have found that helps is to bring a shot gun  (with a scope, sometimes it can take a few tries to find the invisible hit box) so when they get stuck in the trees you can still kill the low level ones and possibly cause a higher one to spawn, also bring a grapple so if you have to KO them in the tree and they dont fall you can grapple up and still tame them. I got this one from my friend though, he had some and he bred them so I could claim the baby.

I do have a question does the amount of honey collected scale if I add more melee? or is it just a standed amount ?

Nope, it is fixed at 15 honey per hive, with 15min interval before u can harvest again. If u find one of those stacked hives in one spot u can keep using the secondary attack and moving around them to get honey till slot capped also.

8 hours ago, DodoRaptor said:

you might try a trap.....either that, or an argy combined with a trap.....typically when I go thylo hunting Iv got two methods, first method is metal armor {or chiten armor you get from drops} and a tranq gun with shocking darts {again supply drop guns or crossbows with a a boost in melee really helps}

Once your geared up, fly out and get pounced, as you get pounced, shoot it in the face.
They side method to this is find one, shoot it, when it falls to the ground, it will chase you. Either lead it to a trap, or swoop in and catch it with an argy, fly to your trap, and drop it in......Secound method is good as you can keep it away from other problems. Dilos and compy's can be a true pain in the neck when going for a max tame, but it is a bit more tediouse, and you better hope the kittey has more rawr than bite, or you could be dooming an argy

10 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

I do love him a lot, he is amazing. It sounds like you might have your difficulty down low and so you are finding low levels, something I have found that helps is to bring a shot gun  (with a scope, sometimes it can take a few tries to find the invisible hit box) so when they get stuck in the trees you can still kill the low level ones and possibly cause a higher one to spawn, also bring a grapple so if you have to KO them in the tree and they dont fall you can grapple up and still tame them. I got this one from my friend though, he had some and he bred them so I could claim the baby.

My difficulty is five, it just was low for a while. I kind of want to do a dino wipe, but at the same time I don't. I need so many high-level dinos at this stage in the game, but unlike Ragnarok, the Island doesn't favor high-levels at all. I have an argent and a pen that would work near the redwoods, but all I can do is clear, clear, clear. I'm taming a higher-level bird today so I can clear more effectively, but I also want a pair of high-level sloth. Honestly, this singleplayer game is so polluted with low-levels that a dino wipe is kinda tempting. 

3 hours ago, DodoRaptor said:

My difficulty is five, it just was low for a while. I kind of want to do a dino wipe, but at the same time I don't. I need so many high-level dinos at this stage in the game, but unlike Ragnarok, the Island doesn't favor high-levels at all. I have an argent and a pen that would work near the redwoods, but all I can do is clear, clear, clear. I'm taming a higher-level bird today so I can clear more effectively, but I also want a pair of high-level sloth. Honestly, this singleplayer game is so polluted with low-levels that a dino wipe is kinda tempting. 

IDK why you wouldnt want to, it would just speed up the inevitable. Eventually everything will be killed or despawn but a dino wipe will just make it happen faster. Also, I thought of another reason I love thylas. IDK if this is possible with bears because I don't remember, but you can shoot off thylas. 

4 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

IDK why you wouldnt want to, it would just speed up the inevitable. Eventually everything will be killed or despawn but a dino wipe will just make it happen faster. Also, I thought of another reason I love thylas. IDK if this is possible with bears because I don't remember, but you can shoot off thylas. 

You are right. I spent OVER AN HOUR farming Red Peak for high-level argents, plus casually looking for sloths and thylas, best was like sixty or seventy. I killed the two low level thylacoleos, shot one down, and both charged. I even checked my difficulty, it's five still, and while good dinos are less common on the islamd as opposed to the center, ragnarok,  or valguero, they still... exist. A dino wipe will hopefully "fix" the spawns, so I can get a good argent, or more importantly a thylacoleo or megatheirium. After that disappointing hour I went and played with my ragnarok character, where my new thorny dragon just freakin' disappeared when I went inside and came out. Is there a cheat I can use to summon him to my location (he could have just been deleted, but he's probably at 50, 50, and I don't want to fly all the way there)? 

3 hours ago, DodoRaptor said:

You are right. I spent OVER AN HOUR farming Red Peak for high-level argents, plus casually looking for sloths and thylas, best was like sixty or seventy. I killed the two low level thylacoleos, shot one down, and both charged. I even checked my difficulty, it's five still, and while good dinos are less common on the islamd as opposed to the center, ragnarok,  or valguero, they still... exist. A dino wipe will hopefully "fix" the spawns, so I can get a good argent, or more importantly a thylacoleo or megatheirium. After that disappointing hour I went and played with my ragnarok character, where my new thorny dragon just freakin' disappeared when I went inside and came out. Is there a cheat I can use to summon him to my location (he could have just been deleted, but he's probably at 50, 50, and I don't want to fly all the way there)? 

I have no idea, I have very little admin command experience but I believe there is a cheat you can use to just teleport yourself to 5050 to see if he is there, best of luck finding him.

On 7/10/2020 at 12:15 PM, Kanyounot said:

I have never tamed a dire bear. Been playing for a while now and never new the dire bear could collect honey. (yh i'm noob) I do have a few thylas and like many I use them for cave running. However after reading this I am going to log on game and go tame myself a couple of dire bears. I do have a question does the amount of honey collected scale if I add more melee? or is it just a standed amount ?

I have the same issue with Direbears collecting honey. a lot of the spawned beehives are usually out or reach on most maps. ti does make ti hard to gather. Crystal Isles might be the big exception since the beehive cave has most on the ground. And you can gather a ton there.

17 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

I have no idea, I have very little admin command experience but I believe there is a cheat you can use to just teleport yourself to 5050 to see if he is there, best of luck finding him.

Found him kind of near my base, somehow he was on passive flee. No idea if it was my mistake or a bug. Also, (I know I'm getting this thread way off topic) despite the wipe, I can't find anything good around the redwoods. I sorta gave up on an argent, mine isn't awful, but my only thyla sighting was level 28, and the best level thing I spotted was a 104 gallimimus. My main goal at this point is just a decent megatheirium pair, although I still want a good thylacoleo someday. I'll try the snow, maybe I can at least get a 120.

Archived