Alpha Blood Crystal Wyvern .. MIA

Another spawn that is simply just too rare to of practical use is the Alpha Blood Crystal Wyvern

So far, we only have two sightings since day one of the new map on our cluster. This is simply too rare to be of practical source of the needed trophy for the boss fight, and I am considering adding them  as a random drop item to something else.

Comparative examples: We can force both Alpha Wyvern on Rag and Alpha Karkinos for Ab spawn several times a real 24-hour day, by killing everything in the trench or along Green's river. But ATM Blood Crystal Wyverns themselves seem to be a rare spawn since the latest patches. Alpha version?? Almost impossible.

Posted (edited)

I have

On 7/6/2020 at 7:18 AM, singalty said:

Another spawn that is simply just too rare to of practical use is the Alpha Blood Crystal Wyvern

So far, we only have two sightings since day one of the new map on our cluster. This is simply too rare to be of practical source of the needed trophy for the boss fight, and I am considering adding them  as a random drop item to something else.

Comparative examples: We can force both Alpha Wyvern on Rag and Alpha Karkinos for Ab spawn several times a real 24-hour day, by killing everything in the trench or along Green's river. But ATM Blood Crystal Wyverns themselves seem to be a rare spawn since the latest patches. Alpha version?? Almost impossible.

I'm on a private server, but that should make no difference. Yesterday I killed like 10 Blood Crystal Wyvern in 1/2 hour at Blood Hallow. Where are you looking for them? There are lots of hiding spots in this location, but they are there and are not rare.

So first I did the gamma arena on Crystal Isles. Had no idea where to find the Alpha Blood Crystal Wyvern or how to kill it. Seemed nearly impossible. I built a trap, got it in there, killed it with a primitive pump shotgun. Before the arena, I went to Ragnarok and found a good pump shotgun BP. 

I then tamed some high level blood wyverns and breed them and raised a few from stolen eggs. Killing the next few Alpha Blood Crystal Wyverns with a blood or in a trap was much easier. Especially using the ascendant pump shotgun I now had. I learned that the alphas spawn in one of four locations. Blood Hallows, White Shoals, the volcano, or "the scar". Now I knew where to look. Got my three talons and did the beta.

I have the SS mod, so made the SS Transmitter which does dino scan. Scanned this morning, saw that there were three alphas. Killed all three in less than 1/2 hour. They were in 3 of the 4 locations I mention above.

So really, this is just a matter of learning how to find them and where they are located. Plus having the right tames and equipment to kill them.

I too thought they were too rare and that this was a bug, but it is a thing called random. Many times there are none present at all. You can kill 20 or 30 wyverns, or maybe a 100 and you can force an Alpha Blood Crystal Wyvern to spawn, but then of course you need to find it. You should be able to find it if you look everywhere in the four areas they spawn.

Keep in mind, when you find it, once it agros, you need to kill it then. I've seen that every time I wait, it is not there when I come back.

It is certainly a huge challenge. Many things on Crystal Isles are very easy, but this is not one of those things. ?

Edited by wildbill
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, wildbill said:

I have

I'm on a private server, but that should make no difference. Yesterday I killed like 10 Blood Crystal Wyvern in 1/2 hour at Blood Hallow. Where are you looking for them? There are lots of hiding spots in this location, but they are there and are not rare.

So first I did the gamma arena on Crystal Isles. Had no idea where to find the Alpha Blood Crystal Wyvern or how to kill it. Seemed nearly impossible. I built a trap, got it in there, killed it with a primitive pump shotgun. Before the arena, I went to Ragnarok and found a good pump shotgun BP. 

I then tamed some high level blood wyverns and breed them and raised a few from stolen eggs. Killing the next few Alpha Blood Crystal Wyverns with a blood or in a trap was much easier. Especially using the ascendant pump shotgun I now had. I learned that the alphas spawn in one of four locations. Blood Hallows, White Shoals, the volcano, or "the scar". Now I knew where to look. Got my three talons and did the beta.

I have the SS mod, so made the SS Transmitter which does dino scan. Scanned this morning, saw that there were three alphas. Killed all three in less than 1/2 hour. They were in 3 of the 4 locations I mention above.

So really, this is just a matter of learning how to find them and where they are located. Plus having the right tames and equipment to kill them.

I too thought they were too rare and that this was a bug, but it is a thing called random. Many times there are none present at all. You can kill 20 or 30 wyverns, or maybe a 100 and you can force an Alpha Blood Crystal Wyvern to spawn, but then of course you need to find it. You should be able to find it if you look everywhere in the four areas they spawn.

Keep in mind, when you find it, once it agros, you need to kill it then. I've seen that every time I wait, it is not there when I come back.

It is certainly a huge challenge. Many things on Crystal Isles are very easy, but this is not one of those things. ?

I've looked in those areas and used the tek transmitter, maybe it's just a issue for some servers I guess.

1 hour ago, CaptainAgnarr said:

I've looked in those areas and used the tek transmitter, maybe it's just a issue for some servers I guess.

What is the player population on your server? There could be a high level of competition for these. I might be the only person doing the bosses on my server. Typically it is just me or one or two other players logged in.

These are a rare resource. Would be good if the game would increase the spawn based on the number of players logged in, but I doubt it does that.

2 hours ago, wildbill said:

What is the player population on your server? There could be a high level of competition for these. I might be the only person doing the bosses on my server. Typically it is just me or one or two other players logged in.

These are a rare resource. Would be good if the game would increase the spawn based on the number of players logged in, but I doubt it does that.

It's just me and 1 other guy, and the 2 of us are on the same page about the spawns :/

2 hours ago, CaptainAgnarr said:

It's just me and 1 other guy, and the 2 of us are on the same page about the spawns :/

Well I was on that same page too, until I got the transmitter after doing the beta arena.

It has only been a couple of days since I had the dino scan. I might change my mind if the three alpha blood wyvens were just a fluke and I don't see any more for days. Normally I've just killed a bunch of wyverns and then more alpha blood wyvens spawn in. I hope that doesn't change.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, wildbill said:

Well I was on that same page too, until I got the transmitter after doing the beta arena.

It has only been a couple of days since I had the dino scan. I might change my mind if the three alpha blood wyvens were just a fluke and I don't see any more for days. Normally I've just killed a bunch of wyverns and then more alpha blood wyvens spawn in. I hope that doesn't change.

According to this thread, the spawn chance is less than 1% (not sure if he infers that from other alpha spawn rates or has specific information)

@wildbill  your experience is probably outdated, the spawn rate for crystal wyverns apparently changed recently. So after this discussion I put on my miner's hat for some DB digging and found that we have missed nothing. Ark tools confirmed there was no Alpha Blood Wyvern on the map. In fact, there were only eleven wild crystal wyverns listed on the whole map! No surprise there either, as that's about as many as we have located in-game last we checked - almost all of them were already respawns from either taming or looting for primal crystal. Nobody missed anything.

So statistically, we would have to kill every crystal wyvern NINE TIMES OVER ... across a HUGE MAP, that MAYBE one alpha will finally spawn. This isn't the scar mate, someone cant just take five minutes with a griffin and lead everything to our trap with a giga ready. So for hours basically everyone has to kill or tame crystal wyverns just to get one alpha drop. No. Our servers are casual. We're not doing this.

I am going to make a decision soon whether we keep CI on our cluster, or not. Some things are very impressive some things are very unimpressive. My opinion is that CI currently has the sloppiest dino spawn configuration in general, of any DLC I have ever played on. I have started a separate thread on that. If spawns are fixed then fine, if not who knows..

Edited by singalty
36 minutes ago, singalty said:

According to this thread, the spawn chance is less than 1% (not sure if he infers that from other alpha spawn rates or has specific information)

@wildbill  your experience is probably outdated, the spawn rate for crystal wyverns apparently changed recently. So after this discussion I put on my miner's hat for some DB digging and found that we have missed nothing. Ark tools confirmed there was no Alpha Blood Wyvern on the map. In fact, there were only eleven wild crystal wyverns listed on the whole map! No surprise there either, as that's about as many as we have located in-game last we checked - almost all of them were already respawns from either taming or looting for primal crystal. Nobody missed anything.

So statistically, we would have to kill every crystal wyvern NINE TIMES OVER ... across a HUGE MAP, that MAYBE one alpha will finally spawn. This isn't the scar mate, someone cant just take five minutes with a griffin and lead everything to our trap with a giga ready. So for hours basically everyone has to kill or tame crystal wyverns just to get one alpha drop. No. Our servers are casual. We're not doing this.

I am going to make a decision soon whether we keep CI on our cluster, or not. Some things are very impressive some things are very unimpressive. My opinion is that CI currently has the sloppiest dino spawn configuration in general, of any DLC I have ever played on. I have started a separate thread on that. If spawns are fixed then fine, if not who knows..

Pretty sure it was me in that other thread that said the Alpha Blood Crystal Wyvern spawn chance is 1%. I came up with that guess based on how many I had to kill before an alpha would spawn in.

If you do have just 11 wyverns on your server, there is something very wrong with the spawn rate there. I am not the admin, so can't say what settings are in use where I play, but currently there are 23 wyverns on the server. This is after I killed about that amount an hour ago. When I was killing them, there were about 6 Blood Crystal Wyvern in Bloods Hallow. I killed all of them and about 6 more. They spawn back in fairly quickly.

Killing wyverns nine times over is not that hard, although I agree, it seems a bit much just to be able to go to the wyvern queen arena.

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Pretty sure it was me in that other thread that said the Alpha Blood Crystal Wyvern spawn chance is 1%. I came up with that guess based on how many I had to kill before an alpha would spawn in.

Yeah mate, that's too much time investment on our side. The other maps boss fights are like a one-hour affair, from popping cryos at the terminal to getting artifacts and trophies.

If I have to reconfigure the spawns myself, why not just go the extra distance and move those spawns to Rag or the Island? Save heaps resources from what is an otherwise buggy map..

Edited by singalty
2 hours ago, singalty said:

arkark thanks for the tip. Actually my own tribe hasn't done much there yet, but we pretty much had it planned to camp on the heir zone just for artifacts and primal. If what you say works within one or two respawns then I'd be cool with that.

We might try today.

I would not say its 100% chance within one or two respawn, I think the last time I did it the alpha spawned after 7-8 times my friend brough a pack of heirs. But they are constantly respawning so there is almost no wait between packs. Just place the giga near the border of the platform where the scorched red artifact is, to not interfere with respawns, and have someone bringing heirs as fast as he can.

Posted (edited)

@arkark we checked this last night with mixed results (you did say it's not 100%). We did get one alpha to spawn right away when we arrived with a giga, which was very convenient. But then for the rest of the evening nothing, and checking the database, no alpha crystal spawns on the rest of the map. In fact, the only alpha dino on the map at all is an Alpha Leeds (so don't get your hopes up alpha hunting for xp on CI!)

I have the general impression that the first Alpha probably spawned "because the server was due for one", and that @wildbill remains correct the spawn rate is less than 1%, including heirs. Results: respawning the heir zone multiple times doesn't hurt your chances of getting an alpha, but it's not a silver bullet either. In any case, only four to six heirs are generated on respawn, so I still find it a very grindy solution but it was a good idea and worth a try.

So, got bored with that. Went back to Rag the same night and within an hour collected four missing artifacts, tuso tents and thylo claws and did another boss fight there. Much more fun. But in all fairness to CI, I realized that our stocks of Basi blubber took weeks to acquire but happened naturally as a result of constant Eurypterid fishing and Basi taming/killing, the trophies were just a bonus then. I know they spawn in heaps on the other side of the map, but you only get two per.

What I am trying to say is, CI is like any other DLC (maybe except Ext which I don't host). You need to pretty much main it to keep a Tek Genny going for any extended length of time.

So in reflection, it is weird to have alphas so infrequent and annoying if you don't plan to main the map i.e. in our case, CI doesn't have a maining "alpha"(for dedicated I prefer "admin" and "agent") - CI is just our arena map. So it's also kind of consistent with most other Ark DLCs ... just haven't thought that deeply about it until I started counting out 25 basi blubber.. So thanks for the input guys, all of you ❤️ I think I have actually improved my overall understanding of DLC mechanics. With this improved outlook we will keep CI on our cluster (a couple of our players absolutely love it), but hope for improvement in overall spawn balancing and location.

Edited by singalty

@singalty My experience is nothing like yours. I wish I knew the settings on the private server I play on. I checked for tusu alphas, as I wanted to test out my recently tamed basil. I found 10 of them on the map. I went out and killed five of them in less than an hour (and a lot of other stuff). The server has boosted settings for tames and I had an excellent saddle, so was even able to kill two alphas together, with a short break for when my stamina got all used up. I'm getting plenty of alphas, not a lot of the Blood wyvern alphas, but enough.

I can see that there are less wyvern spawn than when the CI map was first released, but enough for what I've been doing. I don't expect to gather all the stuff I need for boss fight in just a few hours, but I've never done any bosses before, just the ones on CI, so maybe some are very easy when it comes to tribute items.

Edited by wildbill
7 hours ago, singalty said:

@arkark we checked this last night with mixed results (you did say it's not 100%). We did get one alpha to spawn right away when we arrived with a giga, which was very convenient. But then for the rest of the evening nothing, and checking the database, no alpha crystal spawns on the rest of the map. In fact, the only alpha dino on the map at all is an Alpha Leeds (so don't get your hopes up alpha hunting for xp on CI!)

I have the general impression that the first Alpha probably spawned "because the server was due for one", and that @wildbill remains correct the spawn rate is less than 1%, including heirs. Results: respawning the heir zone multiple times doesn't hurt your chances of getting an alpha, but it's not a silver bullet either. In any case, only four to six heirs are generated on respawn, so I still find it a very grindy solution but it was a good idea and worth a try.

Yeah, its not 100% chance, and yes, its grindy, but I think its at the same % as getting an alpha spawned in Scorched Earth. You said they spawn in packs of 6. I cant confirm that because on official we dont have S+ transmitter but Im pretty confident bringing 8 times that pack of 6 heirs to be killed by giga would give about a 50% chance of getting one alpha blood spawned in a relative short time.

What you said about other alphas its far from what im seeing on official, you go underwater and in a fast travel around the deep water zones its easy to find a bunch of alpha tusos and mosas. Indeed sometimes I've found more alpha tusos than normal tusos. Maybe issuing the kill all wild dinos command on your server can adjust it, in case there is some undetected overspawn in any place on the map.

You have the advantage of the S+ Transmitter, which gives a better overall vision of the spawns, however I wouldnt say the spawners are tunned in the same way on your server than they are on official, which may be the source of seeing different results. Indeed nobody except wildcard could confirm that the default spawners of the distributed CI map files are the same that are being used on official.

Edited by arkark
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, arkark said:

You have the advantage of the S+ Transmitter

We have decided long ago to keep mods out of our cluster. Any changes are purely config-only, and we haven't changed the dino spawn rates on CI except in the snow biome, which wouldn't affect default crystal wyvern spawns. Whatever we are seeing is pretty much out-of-the-box.

Edited by singalty
16 minutes ago, singalty said:

We have decided long ago to keep mods out of our cluster. Any changes are purely config-only, and we haven't changed the dino spawn rates on CI except in the snow biome, which wouldn't affect default crystal wyvern spawns. Whatever we are seeing is pretty much out-of-the-box.

Oh, then how do you see the total number of alphas in a live server?

Posted (edited)

Well, there are lots of ways to do it without mods. I don't want to sidetrack on this too much but to answer your question I use ark-tools which converts a db query like all wild dinos into human-readable json - but I'm sure there are better ways. I don't like doing it because it is still perceived by some of our players as cheating or unfair advantage because I play on my own cluster - and rightly so. So I only "peek" when absolutely have to like supporting technical discussions like this it's probably justified.

Edited by singalty

Maybe this would be better off posted as a suggestion or feedback for a change to the game.

They made a design decision to spawn Alpha Blood Crystal Wyverns in the map in four locations. Three of those locations could be near where someone builds a base. These are aggressive spawns, and worse yet, they fly. They can fly right into someone's base. So they need to be very rare, otherwise those areas would not be safe places to build a base.

With the current spawn rate, you could build in White Shoals and have a base in a location for months and never have an alpha fly into your base.

For them to increase the spawn rate, they would need to remove all spawn locations except "the scar".

For me, either option would be fine. Leave them as is or increase the spawn rate and only spawn in "the scar".

5 hours ago, wildbill said:

Maybe this would be better off posted as a suggestion or feedback for a change to the game.

They made a design decision to spawn Alpha Blood Crystal Wyverns in the map in four locations. Three of those locations could be near where someone builds a base. These are aggressive spawns, and worse yet, they fly. They can fly right into someone's base. So they need to be very rare, otherwise those areas would not be safe places to build a base.

With the current spawn rate, you could build in White Shoals and have a base in a location for months and never have an alpha fly into your base.

For them to increase the spawn rate, they would need to remove all spawn locations except "the scar".

For me, either option would be fine. Leave them as is or increase the spawn rate and only spawn in "the scar".

I can agree with that reasoning completely. It's just the fact we need to kill 1, 3, or 5, of them in order to do the boss fights just makes it annoying. Maybe they'll adjust it in the future.

2 hours ago, CaptainAgnarr said:

I can agree with that reasoning completely. It's just the fact we need to kill 1, 3, or 5, of them in order to do the boss fights just makes it annoying. Maybe they'll adjust it in the future.

Yes, another option would be for the first, the gamma, 1 or 0 talon. 1 talon for beta, 2 talon for alpha. I have 4 talon at the moment, still need one more so I can do the alpha arena.

Edited by wildbill

Was that 1% chance of Alpha spawn proved? It's 5% of any Crystal Wyvern spawn on CI (neutral and aggressive) in Dev Kit. So on average it's 1 Alpha and 19 normal. Working in low numbers might feel misleading. To understand it better think about having roughly 50 Alphas and 950 normals after a long testing. There's one or more Alphas spawned on my map after almost every dino wipe. I use Ark Bot and ark-tools (mostly for nests and eggs).