Alpha Blood Crystal Wyvern .. MIA

10 hours ago, SAS said:

Was that 1% chance of Alpha spawn proved? It's 5% of any Crystal Wyvern spawn on CI (neutral and aggressive) in Dev Kit. So on average it's 1 Alpha and 19 normal. Working in low numbers might feel misleading. To understand it better think about having roughly 50 Alphas and 950 normals after a long testing. There's one or more Alphas spawned on my map after almost every dino wipe. I use Ark Bot and ark-tools (mostly for nests and eggs).

The 1% was simply my guess. Good to hear that the chance is a bit higher than that. i don't have the dev kit, so I just was going from how often I was seeing one compared to how many I killed. That was before I had a dino scanner and was just looking for them in game. I obviously was not finding them all of the time.

19 hours ago, alex4401 said:

@SAS It's not any wyvern, as only ember wyverns have a chance to be an alpha - and the chance is roughly 4.76% in Emberfall (about 19% in the scale of the whole spawner), or in desert 1.57% for a single one (or 9.42% in the scale of the whole spawner). The swaps aren't global, nor map-wide.

Should I look for those values in specific spawners? Does it work like that on every map? I'm still learning random pieces of info about Dev Kit. I saw your post in another thread after I had already submitted that post of mine, it was pointless to edit at that moment :)

@alex4401 thanks for that, I'm assuming that 19% and 10% are figures derived from the dev kit, is that right? If so that would actually be reasonable - kill five ember wyverns and get an alpha blood. I guess alpha blood is a bit misleading, I was wondering if it was actually tied to the number of blood wyverns spawning in :)

Maybe we just hit a really unlucky streak on our server then, because by that math we should have seen at least three or four times that many as we have (considering server re-starts and respawns)

1 hour ago, singalty said:

@alex4401 thanks for that, I'm assuming that 19% and 10% are figures derived from the dev kit, is that right? If so that would actually be reasonable - kill five ember wyverns and get an alpha blood. I guess alpha blood is a bit misleading, I was wondering if it was actually tied to the number of blood wyverns spawning in :)

Maybe we just hit a really unlucky streak on our server then, because by that math we should have seen at least three or four times that many as we have (considering server re-starts and respawns)

I've no idea of anything in the dev kit, but if they only spawn for ember or the desert spawners, that doesn't explain how I've found at least one alpha blood crystal wyvern where the bloods spawn. I've also found one where the tropicals spawn. Of course I've found one where the embers spawn, and maybe four at the desert spawn. I've found eight total, and killed six so far.

We need to keep in mind, the spawn is random. That means there could be days in a row with none, and then like one day when I looked in the dino scanner, there were three. One each in three of the four locations where I've seen them spawn.

@singalty Those are figures drawn based on our data from the game files, verified recently with the DevKit. 19% and 9.42% are ideal chances for a single Alpha Crystal Wyvern to spawn in respectively the Emberfall and Desert regions.

@wildbill Right, I only looked at those two regions. White Shoals has more RNG thrown to it:

• there's a 50% chance that a group of 1 to 3 Tropical Crystal Wyverns will spawn
  • 50% that a group of one Tropical Crystal Wyvern will spawn, and extra 4.76% that it'll be a Blood Alpha.

There are four White Shoals spawners - and 2 dinos per each. Chance for an Alpha encounter is 4.76% per one spawner -  about 19% if you visit every zone. Quite rough cause if you'll get extremely lucky in terms of RNG, you'll hit all of the Tropical Wyverns and cap the spawner.

Situation is similar in Bloodfall, with the exception of the first group - which is 1 to 2 Wyvs. Three dinos are expected to be spawned,  so the chance is effectively 7.14% that you'll encounter an Alpha Wyvern there.

Edit: I just realized this is also shown on the interactive spawn maps on wiki for Genesis and Crystal Isles

Edited by alex4401
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, zift92 said:

Dont know if anyone else noticed but wyvern at the nest, including alpha just fly away from the nest and go somewhere else without a reason maybe thats why we cant find alpha wyverns they might be stuck somewhere at the map.

I've noticed that if you aggro a alpha wyvern, that is your one and only chance to kill it. If you lose aggro, it will just fly away like you say. Not sure where it goes, but they are pretty fast at it. ?

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 7/17/2020 at 5:28 AM, wildbill said:

I've noticed that if you aggro a alpha wyvern, that is your one and only chance to kill it. If you lose aggro, it will just fly away like you say. Not sure where it goes, but they are pretty fast at it. ?

They despawn immediately after losing sight of them. We ran some tests and here is what we found. If you see and alpha but aren't in immediate circumstances to kill it, quickly fly off and finish your whatever-else and come back ten minutes later. Most of the time it is still there. DO NOT FLY PAST IT. It will agro and despawn, even if it doesn't chase you (we had this happen numerous times :( Best is to fly with a giga in your pocket and be ready to throw it down ASAP once you see an alpha. Use a crossbow or longneck while standing on the giga to get the alpha to begin fighting you on your giga.

Alphas are faster than normal heirs and all surrounding heirs will receive a speed buff as well when the alpha is present. So unless you are in a decent group, I don't recommend alpha killing without a giga.

Edit: Tropeo with a high dmg saddle might work, but we haven't tried it. The only method we use is the giga method its clean and quick. The despawn is quite annoying though I can see how it would add to the appearance that alpha blood crystal wyverns aren't spawning at all. What confused us was when the map was first released as an official mod you could locate alphas all around the map. After the population nerf, the method first suggested by arkark does indeed work, with approximately one alpha spawning into the heir zone per game day of hard continual genocide.  It's grindy but so are all boss fight preparations.

It's probably safe to conclude that there is no bug here.

Edited by singalty