Dino Level Max cap on 30lv with difficulty offset 0.2

frog9394

Dino Level Max cap on 30lv with difficulty offset 0.2

Sorry for my noob question. I google for an hour and cannot find the answer. I have a private dedicated server with the Island map and play with 2 friends. I haven't change the config file too much. even the difficulty offset still 0.2. I have read the wiki and found below

Difficulty Value = DifficultyOffset * (Official Difficulty - 0.5) + 0.5

according to wiki said "To calculate the Maximum Creature Level for a given Difficulty Value, simply multiply by 30". So my max dino level should be level 36 [30*(0.2*(4-0.5)+0.5)] base on wiki. I have tested it in single player. I fly around in single player and yes I can find some dino with level 36. But in my private server with the same config. I fly around for an hour and only see level 30 dino. Never found any creature over level 30. Anyone can help whats wrong? Multiplayer server has different calculation formula??? Thanks for anyone can help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Frog,

I have had the same question for years and none of the above formulas worked on my private dedicated server. So I just left it as it was and just set the OverrideOfficialDifficulty to 8.0. So I had creatures up to level 240.

I started bossing recently and did a couple test runs to solve the issue and get a proper difficulty setting with high level dinos and bosses I can manage to kill.

Here is what I found out for my Scorched Earth didicated server:

• adjusting the DifficultyOffset does not affect creature spawn level (I wiped all wild dinos and waited for new ones to spawn)
  • max creature level = OverrideOfficialDifficulty * 30 (rounded, also except bosses, jerboas, jugbugs and sandworms)
  • the DifficultyOffset and OverrideOfficialDifficulty both affect boss strength (and probably the strength of sandworms but I did not test this)
  • having a high OverrideOfficialDifficulty setting makes bosses very hard to kill with default DifficultyOffset
  • without setting DifficultyOffset on command line or in any ini file it was set to 1.0 in my case (Gamma Manticore is practically invincible)
  • setting the DifficultyOffset to 0.25 made the Gamma Manticore just killable (I tested the Gamma Manticore with the same set of Wyverns on 1.0 and 0.25. On 1.0 I could get him to about 50% and on 0.25 I just killed him literally 1 second before the timer went out.)
  • setting the OverrideOfficialDifficulty to 4 and DifficultyOffset to 1.0 made the Gamma Manticore killable within half the timer. I found it strange that the combination OverrideOfficialDifficulty 4 and DifficultyOffset 1 did result in a 10 minutes kill time whereas OverrideOfficialDifficulty 8 and DifficultyOffset 0.25 made it so I could kill the boss in 20 minutes.

So either these formulas do not apply to Scorched Earth or they are outdated although still on the wiki.

I think the real formula should look like this:

Difficulty Value = OverrideOfficialDifficulty

But this means boss difficulty is not the same as Difficulty Value.

To me it seems like boss strength does not scale linearly to DifficultyOffset. I plan to do further testing in the next couple of weeks. I would like to find a DifficultyOffset were I can just barely kill the Alpha Manticore with my set of Wyverns (11 Wyverns with an average level of about 230, average life of about 22k and average damage of about 350%).

I guess boss difficulty is something like this:

1/sqrt(1/DifficultyOffset)

• 2 weeks later...

Most I said was wrong. I don't know what DifficultyOffset should do but on my server it does nothing!

I changed it around and did some more tests on Scorched Earth (Manticore). The only setting that did affect the Manticores strength was OverrideOfficialDifficulty.

Someone should update the information on the official wiki because you find a lot of pages containing DifficultyOffset and OverrideOfficialDifficulty and each of these pages are outdated!

I'm pissed because you can't even configure a servers difficulty settings. Using just OverrideOfficialDifficulty makes it so that you can adjust the spawn levels and the Boss strength at the same time which gives you 2 options: you get spawns with nice levels and a ridiculously difficult Boss or you get crap spawn levels and manageable boss.

On 7/5/2020 at 3:16 PM, frog9394 said:

Dino Level Max cap on 30lv with difficulty offset 0.2 Sorry for my noob question. I google for an hour and cannot find the answer. I have a private dedicated server with the Island map and play with 2 friends. I haven't change the config file too much. even the difficulty offset still 0.2. I have read the wiki and found below

Difficulty Value = DifficultyOffset * (Official Difficulty - 0.5) + 0.5

according to wiki said "To calculate the Maximum Creature Level for a given Difficulty Value, simply multiply by 30". So my max dino level should be level 36 [30*(0.2*(4-0.5)+0.5)] base on wiki. I have tested it in single player. I fly around in single player and yes I can find some dino with level 36. But in my private server with the same config. I fly around for an hour and only see level 30 dino. Never found any creature over level 30. Anyone can help whats wrong? Multiplayer server has different calculation formula??? Thanks for anyone can help.

I played on easy mode SP offline without adjusting "any" of the settings, it had a 0.2 setting as well, but the highest level tame I could get was lvl 40.....typically they was parasaurs, or some other generic tame, but I do recall getting a rex at lvl 38. 

official maps btw have a curve of higher level dinos as a really rare item.  Unofficial mod maps like Rag and Center have a much higher curve that favor higher spawns and is built into the maps.  If you see one or two that is usually all you see until you start doing meat runs.  For official maps about mid range is what is common, for instance, if you have max dino as level 40 you will see mostly 15 to 30 with 20 being common, that is how the curve is with a slew really low level and a few upper around 35 to 40.  The curve favors on the other maps closer to the top around the higher 1/3 of spawn range.  Hope that helps as well.  Also using overrideofficialdifficulty will push that change so what I would do is put what you want for both settings. 

Archived