Griffins losing 900 health when tamed, rendering them entirely useless.

ottobot

Griffins losing 900 health when tamed, rendering them entirely useless.

Hello there.

New to this game, got it on Epic store when it was free and started a server for me and my buddies. Having a blast so far, despite some interesting bugs and glitches, but we've run into a wall that doesn't necessarily halt our progression, but it sure did spit in our face and laugh about it. The highest level in our little 5 person tribe on our private Ragnarok server is 70, lowest 50. We haven't even had our Argies for too long (Highest level there is 74, lowest is 40). We spotted some Griffins and after some research into taming them, managed to get two down and tamed. 

While unconscious, both Griffins displayed 950hp. When tamed, both Griffins went down to 50 hp. That's low enough to get killed in one or two hits by pretty much everything on the island, and since writing this both have died. These Griffins were levels 10 and 18. Same HP on both, wild and tamed. The highest level Griffin we've seen is 28. Highest level any animal was 118. (This was when the max was set to the default of 120. I have changed it to 150, and doubt wholeheartedly that this has changed anything, and don't really feel like tracking down and taming another Griffin just to prove it.)

I have been able to find a spattering of posts here and there about this issue, but none have any semblance of a real solution. "Tame higher level ones" is an option, if we ever see them, and then what? They're still gimped anyway? We have to hope some of their points went into health? What am I supposed to do with a level 120 Griffin with a whopping 500 health or whatever? This is obviously a bug of some kind - it has to be. There is no way in any functional system that any dino with a BASE DEFAULT TAMED HEALTH OF 50 is anything other than a cruel joke.

My difficulty offset is 1, and game difficulty is 5, as per the GameUserSettings.ini for the server.

We were excited about Griffins. This sh*t on that excitement most expertly.

Am I doing something wrong with another server setting? No other animals behave this way. The simple fact that they are LOSING 900 health when tamed, instead of just having 50 health to begin with, tells me something is wrong. Either this is another one of the long list of bugs and glitches (that have apparently been around for years and years) or something is set wrong in the server in a way that it only effects this one single animal, which seems unlikely since I don't really have a specific section for Griffins, and where there is one, messing with their health isn't an option.

The Griffin's damage stats are also rolling very low. Starting off at around 60% instead of the default 100% I've seen on every other animal. Probably other stats are messed up too, but these two are the big ones, and render this animal not only a waste of time, but a palpable disappointment and complete useless trash. That sucks. A lot.

Any help appreciated!

Pretty sure griffins lose a percentage of health after taming as well as melee damage, much like the giga. The solution really is to just tame higher level ones. Anything below level 100 is a waste of time (I personally wouldn't bother with anything less than 130, but I digress). 

I have a level 130 wild tame on official that now has 10k health after leveling (was about 6k after taming). Griffins have way more health than you give them credit for even if they lose some of their health after taming. Just don't bother with such low levels. 

You can use cheat destroywilddinos to get more to spawn with different levels or you can go eat everything around where they spawn until you get a good one. 

That's just so incredibly disappointing. We are nowhere near being able to tame a level 100+, let alone seeing one spawn.  The percentage of health it lost was 95%. That's asinine. I need to cheat to get something viable to spawn? Asinine. Sigh. So I guess the "fix" for this broken animal is to just hope that one twice our level spawns somewhere? Thanks the info, even though it sucks buttholes.

1 hour ago, ottobot said:

That's just so incredibly disappointing. We are nowhere near being able to tame a level 100+, let alone seeing one spawn.  The percentage of health it lost was 95%. That's asinine. I need to cheat to get something viable to spawn? Asinine. Sigh. So I guess the "fix" for this broken animal is to just hope that one twice our level spawns somewhere? Thanks the info, even though it sucks buttholes.

I'm... not sure why you think this is so difficult?

Here's what I recommend. Make 7 stone gateways, 2 reinforced dino gates, 100 tranq darts, and about 600 narcotics. Only take about 100 or 200 narcs with you when you initially leave, though.

Build a trap - 5 stone gates in a row with doors on either end, then on the front, put two stone gates sticking out to sort of "funnel" into the first gate. Open the gate to the trap and then take a pteranodon  or argy (I recommend pteranodon because you'll need the speed for later--this is also why I said to only bring about 100-200 narcs, since they'll weigh down the ptera) to find a griffin. Find griffin, lead it back to the trap (this takes ages and is annoying, griffins love to lose interest and then occasionally also run from you instead of chase you down). Once you get close to the trap, speed up and dart behind it, with the gates sticking off to the side funneling the griffin inside. Jump off your bird and quickly run around and shut the gate.

You are now free to shoot the griffin down. Do that, then use Dododex to set a timer on how fast it'll wake up. Head to the highlands to find an ovis or two, kill them for the raw mutton, stick it in your pteranodon (throw out the pelt and hide and stuff as that'll be too heavy most likely), head back to griffin. You should have prepped some narcs beforehand, so give the griffin however many it needs, then feed it the raw mutton. You'll need to just be mindful of the torpor. Use Dododex to time your trips back to base for narcotics or to the highlands if you for whatever reason need more mutton. 

Taming a griffin is not difficult but it IS time consuming. You do not need to cheat in order to get one of the appropriate level, I just suggested it because that's what a lot of people in SP/personal servers prefer to do to save time. Without cheating, it's faster to get more to spawn by just killing everything in the area, but honestly, just killing the low level griffins works to generally get more to spawn. You say you have argies. A decent argy should be able to take out a level 50 or below griffin with no trouble (by decent, I mean 2k+ health and ideally 260%+ melee). If you can't kill them with the argies, crossbows and tons of stone arrows works, that's just also a bit time consuming. 

I personally tamed a low level griffin first (lv 25 pretame - he had 700 health or so after taming), used it to get a mediocre lightning wyvern egg (lv 100), then used it to grab milk as needed for that wyvern, and then when that griffin inevitably died, I used the lightning wyvern to go get a new griffin because he had more health and stamina than the ptera. Successfully getting an egg and milking dragons with a griffin with such low health though is very much a game of chicken so I wouldn't recommend it, lol. That's just what I did. 

1 hour ago, ottobot said:

check your settings, it's possible you don't have it set to spawn up to the higher levels.  Other people would be better at telling you what that is though..

when you do set it higher and restart, use the command to kill all creatures so that new ones spawn in after.  They won't replace higher level wilds until mobs are cleared.  kill all forces that process along faster.

You can get good Griffins, but it takes some work. I built two taming bases (one in the beaver dam area and another north of the green ob) so I could tame a few. You'll need to get one that has quite a few points into health, because they lose 900HP upon taming. (Base level health is 950, which means you want one with quite a few points.)

If you have access to the game's save file, get Larkator. Use it to look at all the Griffs on the map and pick the ones with the stats you want. If there aren't any, kill them all and wait for more to respawn.

Archived