Aberration is a trap

JJacky

Aberration is a trap

I've been playing official pvp for a while now on Rag/island/center and decided to have a look at the aberration map, because the concept sounds interesting. Oh boy was I in for a big wet slap in the face. Winding pathways that are often dead ends, corridors, annoying gaps that get your dino stuck and constant aggro from those ugly wrinkly a&& dogs and raptors on mushrooms that dismount you. You really need to have a rock drake or a megalania to do any reasonable scouting on this map, because no flyers are allowed. Personally, I have no objections to the no-fly-zone, but why make the map into a living hell to anyone on foot? The list of different dinos on this map is also extremely small and you can't transfer anything into Aberration that isn't native there (so forget about breeding anything interesting). I find that logic weird, because I see those OP-furry-skippy-dog-dragons on every map and aren't they only native on Genesis?

After one day of excruciating exploration, I decided that I will have no part in this and wanted to leave... but... problem is that I can't. All the obelisks are on the surface where you are instantly incinerated if you go there during day time (and let's not forget how hard it is to find the path there anyway). What about loot crates? Oh boy... one full day of scouting and I found zero, nada, zilch crates. I'm basically stuck on that map.

I wanted to like this map, but honestly, after two days of getting lost and stuck in endless corridors, I just want to get back to Ragnarok. 

Aberration is the most difficult map. So many challenges. That's why so many players hate it. Whether it is PvP or PvE, it's really hard to start from zero.

That's why I love it so much. A true challenge, requiring skill and wits. You have to think before acting. Plus back in the days we had to deal with creatures dying and falling through the mesh. Haven't encountered that anymore, finally!

The map is so beautiful, real eye-candy. Mechanics are completely different from any other map. You get some nice adrenaline here and there.

I started to play Ark on the first day of Aberration. Was a really interesting experience and I still go back with joy. No other new map has caught my attention like that. Extinction comes very close. 

20 minutes ago, Oieru said:

Aberration is the most difficult map. So many challenges. That's why so many players hate it. Whether it is PvP or PvE, it's really hard to start from zero.

That's why I love it so much. A true challenge, requiring skill and wits. You have to think before acting. Plus back in the days we had to deal with creatures dying and falling through the mesh. Haven't encountered that anymore, finally!

The map is so beautiful, real eye-candy. Mechanics are completely different from any other map. You get some nice adrenaline here and there.

I started to play Ark on the first day of Aberration. Was a really interesting experience and I still go back with joy. No other new map has caught my attention like that. Extinction comes very close. 

I agree that Aberration is a beautiful map, but I also feel that ARK has changed over the years. With cryopods, obelisk/crate transfers at your disposal, it is more about utilizing all the arks (maps) to their fullest potential. You go to Scorch to get your wyverns, Extinction for owls and OP-manas, Ragnarok for resources, but what do you go for on Aberration? You can't really breed anything interesting there (that helps with the grind or pvp) and getting out of there is such a chore that it's really not worth the time.

Maybe it would be interesting as a standalone map, but in the current state of ARK where you can freely jump from map to map, I see little reason to go to Aberration. The population speaks for itself; Aberration is the least populated map on official.

On 7/3/2020 at 7:59 AM, JJacky said:

Aberration is a trap

I've been playing official pvp for a while now on Rag/island/center and decided to have a look at the aberration map, because the concept sounds interesting. Oh boy was I in for a big wet slap in the face. Winding pathways that are often dead ends, corridors, annoying gaps that get your dino stuck and constant aggro from those ugly wrinkly a&& dogs and raptors on mushrooms that dismount you. You really need to have a rock drake or a megalania to do any reasonable scouting on this map, because no flyers are allowed. Personally, I have no objections to the no-fly-zone, but why make the map into a living hell to anyone on foot? The list of different dinos on this map is also extremely small and you can't transfer anything into Aberration that isn't native there (so forget about breeding anything interesting). I find that logic weird, because I see those OP-furry-skippy-dog-dragons on every map and aren't they only native on Genesis?

After one day of excruciating exploration, I decided that I will have no part in this and wanted to leave... but... problem is that I can't. All the obelisks are on the surface where you are instantly incinerated if you go there during day time (and let's not forget how hard it is to find the path there anyway). What about loot crates? Oh boy... one full day of scouting and I found zero, nada, zilch crates. I'm basically stuck on that map.

I wanted to like this map, but honestly, after two days of getting lost and stuck in endless corridors, I just want to get back to Ragnarok. 

You can bring in unique creatures from Extinction and Genesis to the map as long as they don't qualify as flyers.  So, Gacha, manas, Bloodstalkers, x-spinos(since variation on spino it's allowed also).....can all be brought over to ab, scouts....  Any Ab animal you find on genesis can also be brought back to ab.

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2020 at 1:36 AM, JJacky said:

Maybe it would be interesting as a standalone map, but in the current state of ARK where you can freely jump from map to map, I see little reason to go to Aberration. The population speaks for itself; Aberration is the least populated map on official.

Aberration is quite divisive, players either love it or hate it. Most hate it. It's too hard for them. I made a suggestion once for something that would help players find a drop if they lose heart but it never got upvoted. Ab really starts to pay dividends to tek-tier tribes with transmitter and TP unlocked. We have four maps on our cluster and almost exclusively use ab for our metal, and for all of the gems crystal chitin-stone-cp and poly. 

start near the portal move south east to that first small lake/river with the island in the middle. Bide your time and wait for a high level spino/carno trap and tame it. Sheep everywhere so no need to worry about kibble. Set up a 2x3 foundation trap. walls 3 high, door on the back, dino gate on the front. That'll let you kite ravagers and spinos, and most other smaller dinos.

Once you have a couple high level carnos and ravagers or spinos, aberration becomes extremely easy. My first group was 4 ravagers and a carno. all over 100. See a raptor? Whistle them to attack first then move in after.

Once i spotted a 100 spino, I set up a 4 dino gate trap and tamed him, got another 125 and with the two spinos I could easily travel up and down spino/crab river to the blue forest.

Made a base near the entrance to the blue forest, tamed a couple high level spinos including a female, captured a 145 spino as well, now I'm breeding and have a 100% imprinted spino with 14k health and 515dmg after like 20 minutes of leveling up. Solo'd an alpha crab with it (5) and took out a 120 alpha with that one and 2 of his spino buddies (they had to be sent away half way through so they wouldn't die. The AI won't stand up and do knock back on its own.

At this point absolutely nothing challenges me. I can wander into the blue area even with the light pet off as the spino trashes nameless while taking very little damage. Fought multiple drakes at once without issue.

Use the dinos to your advantage.

@crossmr completely agree but somehow a lot of players just aren't up to it. I've said it before, besides our tribe (which doesn't count) we've only had two players ever make it to the red zone solo and unassisted - ever.  We've even had experienced members of our own allies and subtribes ask for help just to get their character off the map. It became known as "sending a bus" lol. Personally I think it's sad for such a beautiful map so there you go everyone has their own taste with these things..

Edit: Both of the characters who made it to the red zone started from scratch, neither transferred anything. both did it purely for the love of doing it.

Having played on this map extensively since my first post, I have to say things have gotten much smoother. The map is very unforgiving to new players, but once you start to remember drop locations (I know a string of 8 locations that I can glide through directly from my base) things get easier. 

I have grown to like the map as a solo official pvp player because it is less crowded and less laggy and the atmosphere is great. Not sure how the map will be like long term as there isn't really anything worth breeding and the selection of dinos is really limited.

There are tons of drops in the lake spawns. I also had a lot of trouble getting out of this map as well as extinction. Not easy at all without a transponder. Almost impossible to upload dinos into crates as the upload timer is insane lol. Wont be leaving Any map past rag until i personally have a transponder as well.

1 minute ago, ScoutKnox said:

There are tons of drops in the lake spawns. I also had a lot of trouble getting out of this map as well as extinction. Not easy at all without a transponder. Almost impossible to upload dinos into crates as the upload timer is insane lol. Wont be leaving Any map past rag until i personally have a transponder as well.

Extinction is easy to leave.  City terminals everywhere. 

that remind me the first time i ventured on abb to learm a few engrams, after 2hours i was crying ,help  me get out of here please, getting owned by ravager, mushroom poisoning,... somehow i manage to find a drop and finally was able to leave this hell and swear to never come back

several month later i decided to try again but this time with a new character in case i get stuck again, and i have to admit now abb is one of my favorite map, i travel around with a managarmr so it make finding drop very easy

• 2 months later...

Luckily I took one of my alt characters in for my first trip. But I've heard of people taking their mains in and thinking they were going to loose they bases on other maps lol. They really ought to have like a analog to the city terminal scattered down in the caves, even if it was just one of them in the newb portal area.

2 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

Luckily I took one of my alt characters in for my first trip. But I've heard of people taking their mains in and thinking they were going to loose they bases on other maps lol. They really ought to have like a analog to the city terminal scattered down in the caves, even if it was just one of them in the newb portal area.

Yea, it'd really be nice to have an easy route out, but it isn't that tough if you're willing to bring the necessary stuff. A good Mana and a hazard suit pretty much gets you anywhere in the green zone. A Deino would work too, but probably not as well.

• Volunteer Moderator
30 minutes ago, Doomatt08543 said:

its funny how no one here realizes you can use the Rockwell terminal to leave

But most people that struggle to find a way off the map are those that go there for a short period and decide they don't like it or they just want to go back. If you are fairly new there and not experienced it before how would you recommend someone survives a journey to the Rockwell Terminal?

The easiest way off early on is around the Fertile Lake area, but you need to know where the drops are. It is probably the hardest map to get off early on.

Would be one of the more popular maps if you could just unpod and breed all dinos on Aberration.  But we can't because a giga would be OP apparently, because they are great for small spaces and take no damage from falling lol. 

The only reason for not allowing all the tames on was because of all the Knobs that would submit tickets about how their dino ran off a cliff into the red zone.

I love Aberration. I know it's really quite useless, but at least it has a ascension scene, unlike SE. I've played it since the day it came out, and it was a year ago when I ascended from that original world. It's quite hard. Even getting resources can be risky. Never know when a basilisk or nameless could attack. 

Archived