We've got it all wrong...

Recki11

Dear Ark,

even though i've been playing you for 5 years now, i haven't really been posting much here. I would like to take the opportunity though to congratulate you for your 5 year anniversary and the completely new game concept you have introduced with it.

It took me a while to understand what's so different about you and what evolved survival is, but i got it now and it's genius !

When i started playing you, you were still in a raw state: no biomes, no gigas, no quetzes...simply a game in its pre-release state. I instantly fell in love with your gameplay and with each patch i was eager to see the new goodies you implemented. As a seasoned gamer i understood of course that i was testing you and had to live with the bugs. Therefore my suspicion wasn't really raised by stuff like the long timeout when the server was saving or even when a patch was introduced preventing me from  logging on for 4 days and i was on the brink of losing everything (connection timeout anyone ?), because you fixed them at some point (yup, there used be a period in time when these issues did not exist, even though the server saving fix did not last long).

Yes, it took me quite a while to really understand your concept and what's so evolved about the survival aspect, but now i get it and i'm impressed: what i, and probably many others, don't understand is that, sure,  you are a survival game with some fancy, nice looking gameplay that is sometimes a bit challenging and sometimes less. Looking back at my years playing you i'm realizing though that the biggest survival challenges i had to deal with for my char, buildings and dinos were not related at all to any gigas destroying my base while offline etc (of course you fixed that, because that's not part of the survival aspect). No, the biggest challenges i had to deal with came in form of patches and after things had been quiet for some time, probably  to give me a false sense of security, i'm glad to see that with the introduction of the anniversary patch you're back in full force and i have to admit that you have upped your game (no pun intended).

You really almost got me this time, Ark: by introducing a more persistant connection timeout feature you made me already lose all my mutated dinos i bread over the years, but luckily i was able to counter-attack by using a VPN, which is still in use as of today, and save my buildings. Respect also for giving electric cables a short decay timer: there was not much charge left in my cryopods after the cables decayed and  disconnected my cryofridge.

But i'm back ! And if you think you can get rid of me and my will to survive, by just letting from one second to the next my newly bread argy disappear in thin air behind my back, like you just did a couple of minutes ago, then you are wrong ! I see you are currently looking for new troops: whether this is related to a sudden loss of troops or simply upping your game, i can only say: bring it ! I'm ready and will be fighting to the last pixel !

In any case, happy birthday ! Thank you for the challenges over the past 5 years and i'm looking forward to the next 5 and the survival challenges you will be throwing at us.

Best Regards to a worthy opponent,

Recki11  

Archived