Return Ark to its roots

Ymhotep

Suggestion

Return Ark to its roots

Remember the times, when there was no titans, no Tek, no wyverns? When it was about surviving an Island filled with dinos and prehistoric creatures, armed only with primitive tool, only to upgrade them to industrial tools and weapons? Those were the good old days.

The introduction of Tek and the way Ark is moving from dino survival game to a space opera ruins the original feel I started playing the game.

It would be nice, if instead of getting new DLC from out of space, WC would instead invest in the old contend like:

More TLC - this has been suggested by the community more then once. 

Industrial Smitty - a more production efficient Smitty than the medieval one, that even looks dumb in a full metal industrial base.

Alchemy table - a tier between the mortar and pestle and chemistry bench.

Hot air balloon - for those who play on no taming servers. 

Concrete buildings tier - a new level in the building department witch may add a new crafting table the cement mixer

Heavy desert armor - a better armor for the SE DLC

Heavy Adobe buildings - metal version of adobe structures in SE

Desert like skins for the animals in SE - aberration has aberrant animals, genesis has its own set of skins for old dinos, so why not SE?

These are just a few ideas for old content, but im sure others will have more, even better ones. 

3 replies to this server topic

Personally - I far prefer the "primitive" and "industrial" aspects of the game over their "space-age tek" counterparts. 

And for a lot of the similar reasons you have pointed out. The main one being, it is a survival game. And I would rather they build on it then to reach for the moon as they have been. 

Below is a list of the items you have pointed out, plus a few of my own; 

• More TLC - this has been suggested by the community more then once. 
    • Agreed. There are quite a few creatures out there that needs some tweaks and bit of work.
  • Industrial Smithy - a more production efficient Smitty than the medieval one, that even looks dumb in a full metal industrial base.
    • It would be nice to have an "Industrial" counterpart to this particular item. I would even go as far as to break it up a bit and create both a "Saddle Bench", "Construction Bench", and an "Weapons Station". I could help with seperating out the items you need to craft said items and make sorting the resources to use a bit easier. 
  • Alchemy table - a tier between the mortar and pestle and chemistry bench.
    • For this I would reach out to Primitive Plus and borrow their station
  • Hot air balloon - for those who play on no taming servers. 
    • Not a bad idea. A flyer without a flyer. Obviously not as fast, but it would make long distance travel a bit safer. 
  • Concrete buildings tier - a new level in the building department witch may add a new crafting table the cement mixer.
    • This makes me think of the Primitive Plus Tier. And even if not, I am all for adding those and more. It has been far to long since new building tiers have been added. (last full tier being back with Scorched Earth.)
  • Heavy desert armor - a better armor for the SE DLC
    • Either this or being able to upgrade the existing armor. It is my absolute favorite, but because of its stats - it doesn't make sense to use it. I almost wish there was a way to "Skin" an armor set so I could still get the look but have a better armor underneath.
  • Heavy Adobe buildings - metal version of adobe structures in SE
    • I am not a huge Scorched Earth player, but I have done my time on the map. I would have to agree that they should have added an advance form of building for the unique biome that encases the map. Adobe is all well and good, but it is pretty early stage and it would have made sense from a progression standpoint that a "survivor" would have been able to improve upon the standard. 
  • Desert like skins for the animals in SE - aberration has aberrant animals, genesis has its own set of skins for old dinos, so why not SE?
    • I think Scorched Earth was skipped over with the skins because they added so many new low-to-high level creatures. On Aberration they were introduced to Radiation which caused the coloring - so having the colors there makes sense (I think, not an expert on the story line behind the map). On Extinction... Even with all the issues with the environment.. somehow the creatures you can't tame were the only ones not effected. And with Genesis... Why were some effected on not others? Sure the shades of colors used changed with the environment... but we only got a partial listing of x-variant creatures. Which honestly seemed like a cop-out. They didn't want to take the time to create some mid level creatures so they re-skinned, re-labeled, and slightly adjusted a handful of creatures. And not only that, they used some of the creatures that have been done before. Raptor? Paraceratherium? Parasaur? Anky? Otter? Spino?  They already had "other" types so why use them again? Why not shake things up and re-do something new? How may version of a Raptor and Parasaur do we need? 
    • Honestly I am more of the frame of mind that more new creatures should come with each map or a re-skinning of every creatures on that map. They shouldn't do it half way. 
    • So as far as adding skins to dinos in Scorched Earth. I am on the fence. I know they don't like to back-track, which is evident by the maps crumbling at the seems, so doing so now wouldn't make a lot of sense to them. Plus, Scorched Earth did receive 17 new creatures, which is far more than any map sense... so asking for a re-skin on top of that seems like a bit much. 

And to add to your list to keep the items in the section of "Primitive" and "Industrial" 

• Add in Primitive Plus Items
  • Add in at least two building tiers per map using unique resources from those maps in order to promote further travel to and use of the maps. 
    • Examples: 
      • Scorched Earth
        • Basic Adobe 
        • Advanced Adobe
      • Aberration
        • Fungal Wood Building (similar stats to wood but using strictly fungal wood giving it a different look and color)
        • Gemstone Cobblestone (using the Red, Green, and Blue Gems along with Stone and Cementing Paste (or Cement) to craft cobblestone building items that have gems intermixed in the material. 
      • Extinction
        • Element Ore Building (Using a forge you smelt together Element Dust and Iron Ingots to creature Element Ore to craft building structures. It is not as strong as tek, but is stronger and cleaner than Metal structures)
        • Element Glass Building (Using a forge you smelt together Element Dust and Sand to creature Element Glass which is stronger than the glass used for Greenhouse buildings and has a higher resistance factor. This would introduce an advanced form of Greenhouse building.)
      • Genesis
        • Igloo Structures (pretty self explanatory. The Ice Biome has a lot of well, Ice - why not put it to use?)
        • Coral Structures (again, not too difficult. There are a lot of harvest-able coral items in the Ocean Biome. Why they didn't make use of that I will never understand)
    • Other Building Tiers (either built into the game or purchasable as learnable engrams via store attached to user accounts)
      • Lumber - Primitive Plus
      • Cement - What the Brick from Primitive Plus looks like
      • Brick - What the Brick from Primitive Plus should look like 
      • Log - A pretty primitive method of building involving full logs to build log-cabin like structures
      • Bamboo - there are plants across most of the island formatted maps that resemble it, so why haven't they added it? I could be considered pretty early game. 
      • Steel - taking advantage of the steel found in Primitive Plus to create its own unique tier. 
  • Other missed "Industrial Items"
    • Mortar & Pestle - Listed above
    • Fridge - the one in game is pretty basic, would be nice to have something larger
    • Preserving bin for jerky - this could be covered by the introduction of a "Smoker" or the items currently existing in Primitive Plus
  • Items that need some work or more items.
    • Bookcase - they should be able to hold a few more items
    • Beds  - why simple bed to bunk bed? Why not a fancy, queen, or king sized beds? We have pelt and hide - and if you include Primitive Plus we have feathers and leather so a fancier bed should be possible.
    • Lights - need I say more? 
    • Unique Storage cases - like the weapons rack from Primitive Plus
    • Furniture - to fit the different building styles
    • Saddles built for needs and not generalized
    • Better Farming - Tool for easier harvesting and/or fertilizing or a method in which to do so. 
    • More Food Items - Primitive Plus is a great start

Honestly I could go on for ever. 

If I had a vote on how to start, I would suggest by adding the primitive plus items in phases. Such as adding Lumber in Phase One and so on. 

After all that can be added has been, I would then begin filling in the rest of it. 

Again focusing on items prior to Tek. 

I know there are a lot of players out there that like tek, and this isn't against them, but I would like to see a bit more focus on early game - it has been a while since we have had to much of it. 

Overall - l like the suggestion. 

Archived